inspirational photography books

meandihagee

Well-known
Local time
7:44 AM
I'm planing a massive buy on amazon. "Looking at Photographs" by John Szarkowski is one of them. J. Meyerowitz holds it in high esteem and it looks like a very interesting book.

any other good recommendations?

Get your books from bookdepository.com it'll be much cheaper plus free delivery.

I'm interested to hear of any recommendations too. I'm always on the lookout for good photography books.

For some ideas, take a look at the on-going 'Latest Additions to Your Library' thread here on RFF. :) If you're just starting up a library, then you must add the Magnum Landscape book.

/

"Looking at Photographs" is a great choice - cover to cover, an excellent survey of some of the most important photographers of the 20th century with excellent reproductions of the work. Another favorite I would suggest to you (in a similar vein of criticism) is "Dialogue with Photography: Interviews by Paul Hill and Thomas Cooper ." There's some really great interviews with some of the photo-giants of the 20th century.

Istanbul by Alex Webb... I must have looked through that book 20 times in the last 6-8 weeks.

It should be part of a curriculum in street photography.

Stephen Shore, Alec Soth, Araki, Jeff Wall, Stieglitz, Magnum (I think its just titled that), Art & Photography, The Genius of Photography (DVD & Book). Martin Parr, Nan Goldin, Cindy Sherman, Weston, Edward Steichen, Paul Strand.
Just an idea but massive buy on photo books can soon become a four figure sum, I have spent nearly £2k in the last 3 yrs on books, not that I regret a single penny of it :)

Avedon? Are you joking?
ok, ok, i know we all have our personal tastes.

my latest vote would go to "Cuba by Korda"

I would not buy a pile of photo books all at once based on the recommendations of others.
I would get the Szarkowski book and see where that leads you. Investigating one thing that interests you leads to the next. After a while, you will have a collection with some continuity that is yours. Looking at Photographs is a great place to start. The only thing possibly wrong with it is that it is 30+ years old, so there is no newer work in there.

Have fun,
Gary

For a nice non gear or technique photo book, check out "Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing". It's a very good philosophy of photography read, really great if you're feeling in a rut, subject wise.

If you can find it used, give Bill Jay's "Negative/Positive" a try. For me it's been one of those pivotal books we sometimes encounter. A real milestone in my creative live.

John

I'll second "An English Eye", James Ravilious.

I was unimpressed in all regards by "Looking at Photographs", but I did have a bang on the head so don't take that as a definitive evaluation for all readers.

Get Taryn Simon - An American Index of the Hidden and Unfamiliar. Beautiful book.

Ill second this one I went to an exhibition of this work at The Photographers Gallery, beautiful large prints. There is a good interview with her by charlie rose and an interesting 'TED' talk that you can get on itunes for free:angel: which is always the best price:D

Anything by David Plowden. Especially any of his work regarding steam power.

Hey, we have a new (or maybe I'm just not paying attention) Books sub-forum here on RFF.

Lot's of members recommending good books there, so don't litter here :)
Go there!

Back