inspirational photography books

Really depends on your tastes. I really like gritty black and white street photography but lately color photography has been catching my eye:

Stephen Shore- Uncommon Places
William Eggleston- William Eggleston's Guide
William Klein- New York 1954-55
Daido Moriyama- 1971 New York
Joseph Koudelka- Chaos

I dunno - sometimes a fresh look requires us to look outside the ... book forum. Perhaps the key to the OPs question is the inspirational part, rather than the book part. Or maybe it's just too easy to get lost in the crowd in a 3 year old thread. I pass that thread up more often than not (although I have posted in it a couple times.)

Anyway, when I need inspiration, I look at things outside the norm. My favorite OTN guy these days is Robert Heinecken. This guy makes Seranno look prim.

An English Eye - James Ravillious

Exposures - Jane Bown

The Polaroids - Andre Kertesz

The Hebrideans - Gus Wylie

With the eexception of the Kertesz, they are all examples of what dedication to a subject or area that is sustained over a long period of time can achieve. Obviously, they reflect my interests, but all are worthy of the attention of a broad spectrum of photographers in my view.

I'm sure there are others too.

Mike
I wasn't aware and just happened to come across André Kertész: The Polaroids. Wonderful images and vision.

The Photographer‘s Eye is also a good introduction. Also Szarkowski. Stephen Shore’s The Nature of Photographs is very pure, and clear, and deep. It’s a Phaidon paperback. I bought it new in a bookshop within the last ten years for less than $20 USD. A minor miracle I have not forgotten.

Beyond education there is Josef Koudelka’s Exiles. That book will make you feel that only now are you seeing what a photograph can be.

Why a “massive buy”? If it’s inspiration you’re after, buy one great book in the genre you shoot and go deeply into it. Then practice, even emulate, what you learn. If you need more, repeat. My two cents, anyway.

John

I agree that a "massive buy" is probably not a good idea. Two or three books should get you started and the Szarkowski book is a fine starting point. I would also throw in any books you find on the work of Eugene Atget. Atget was likely the birth father of modern photography. Post modern? Dunno. Maybe we don't have a mother/father of post modern photography yet.

The importance of Atget and his particular genius for showing something deeper than the straight image are easily overlooked. Great to see him mentioned here. I never tire of looking at Reflecting Pool, St Cloud. Atget must have really understood Le Nôtre to have taken that low vantage point.

It is refreshing to have a new thread on books. The other is now encyclopedic and a novice would get lost in it.

Re a bunch of books: I feel badly if I buy even just two at once. It’s an excess and robs each of the proper attention, and even reverence I should give it.

As an alternative, I find local Public Libraries and College Libraries to be a great resource for photo book browsing, discovery, and borrowing.

Salgado and Brandt for their use of photography in support of noble causes and a general commitment to excellence in the quality of their images.

Back