InstantKon by MiNT

We know Mint is a very active company.

Browsing the website I just noticed a camera I was not aware of: the InstantKon

https://mint-camera.com/en/shop/cameras/instantkon-rf70/

Automatic or manual, it works with Fuji Instant Wide film.

Curious about your thougts?

Excellent camera. I was on the original funding effort and have been using it since it was released. A poor smattering of photos I’ve posted from it is here.. I hope the permissions are set correctly.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=23913128@N02&sort=date-taken-desc&text=Instakon rf&view_all=1

I have better not posted. My only real criticisms would f the camera are that it’s limited to 1/500 sec and is a trifle bulky.

G

Thanks for your comments and the links you supplied. I did not think to give a look in Flickr! By the way I realize now it is not a new camera!

Godfrey your photo are good, the portraits are joyfull!

The price is high, and for the size I should see one in person, which I think it is not possible unless I buy one! The idea was if it can give the "feeling" I had when I was using the Land 340 ! For the moment I stay with my Polaroids...600 and SX70 !

Thanks again!

Every common camera, every lens I always check on Flickr. It is the only site where you could easily find pictures in full resolution.
All you have to do is to type "InstantKon Flickr" in Google (and only) search and choose link to the group.

Every common camera, every lens I always check on Flickr. It is the only site where you could easily find pictures in full resolution.
All you have to do is to type "InstantKon Flickr" in Google (and only) search and choose link to the group.

Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

I remember the discussion thread on its predecessor (or prototype?). Very attractive but the less-than-optimal (softer than the Instax Wide) lens put me off. Did they mend it with this one?

Well, looks nice, especially the fully manual part. Choked a bit on the price but it’s not 1990 anymore so….
Even if I obtained one of those Lomograflok backs for $150 and I already have a 101mm f4.5 Kodak Anastar with front cell focusing that works well then for another $30 of hobby plywood I could put together a working camera but it sure wouldn’t have a built in coupled RF or meter. That would all need to be add on’s. One problem with the Kodak lens is the flash terminal and finding a ASA post to PC adapter is getting more difficult and expensive.

I remember the discussion thread on its predecessor (or prototype?). Very attractive but the less-than-optimal (softer than the Instax Wide) lens put me off. Did they mend it with this one?

There's only been one version of the InstaKon RF-70. The discussion thread on here previously was about the camera in development, IIRC. The finished product is more refined.

The lens is quite good, and has nice rendering qualities. It's best stopped down one to two stops, and–at the price–is obviously not a Leitz or Zeiss optic, but it does very well.

Robert: I'll photograph the RF70 alongside a Polaroid SX-70 and a Leica M4-2 to give you a sense of size. I should also take it out for a walk... ;)

G

I see B&H has two InstaKon, both listed as RF70 but one is aperture preferred auto exposure only with a + or - one stop compensation. It is special order for $769, the other one is under discussion here, $899 with full manual control. Not sure why a lens would need to have top performance for an instant camera. Isn’t the resolution of instant film about 12 lines per milliliter? Maybe a little higher, and generally not scanned and enlarged but viewed as is?

About a year and a half ago, I became fascinated by this camera and thought hard about buying it. Then I got distracted by COVID. But in the meantime I was given a Fuji Instax Wide 300, so I was able at least to get a feel for the film. And while I remain fascinated by the camera, I have to say I just don't love the Instax medium enough to spend that kind of money on the camera. But your photos, Godfrey, make me reconsider... I love "Tiramisu."

I see B&H has two InstaKon, both listed as RF70 but one is aperture preferred auto exposure only with a + or - one stop compensation. It is special order for $769, the other one is under discussion here, $899 with full manual control. Not sure why a lens would need to have top performance for an instant camera. Isn’t the resolution of instant film about 12 lines per milliliter? Maybe a little higher, and generally not scanned and enlarged but viewed as is?

Ah, I see. MiNT is doing a simplified version without the manual shutter speeds ... I'm not sure it is actually shipping yet. I see on the MiNT site that there's also an SF70 model coming ... for use with Instax SQ film and square format. Interesting. I like the Instax SQ format

I find myself getting my best exposures with the RF70 camera using a hand held light meter, one of the three ND filters, and setting exposure manually. I suppose for casual use, the all auto version is fine for snap shooting but you lose so much exposure versatility without manual exposure time control .

Regards lens quality, if you're going to only make finished Instax size prints and share them physically, there's some truth to what you say about required resolution. But the film/prints is way better quality than just 12 LPMM. Using the Magny 35 with my Leica M4-2 (Instax SQ film is pretty much the same resolution per unit area as all the Instax films) I can see some wonderful detailing with the Leica lenses, despite the mirror and enlarging couplet in the Magny 35 setup. Without that in the way, the Instax Wide film is capable of producing lovely details that scan and enlarge nicely.

I took the RF70 out for my walk today and blasted through a film pack to re-learn the feel of it. It's a very different camera in use compared to the SX-70 and SLR670 models. For me, much slower operating and a bit clumsy; feels much like a less expensive version of my Voigtländer Bessa III.

I wasn't particularly inspired today, but there are one or two nice pix in what I shot. I'll scan them tomorrow.

G

Well, looks nice, especially the fully manual part. Choked a bit on the price but it’s not 1990 anymore so….
Even if I obtained one of those Lomograflok backs for $150 and I already have a 101mm f4.5 Kodak Anastar with front cell focusing that works well then for another $30 of hobby plywood I could put together a working camera but it sure wouldn’t have a built in coupled RF or meter. That would all need to be add on’s. One problem with the Kodak lens is the flash terminal and finding a ASA post to PC adapter is getting more difficult and expensive.

I was also tempted by the Lomograflok back but I have not a 4x5 system! And it would be both complicated and expensive to buy one just for this!

I was also tempted by the Lomograflok back but I have not a 4x5 system! And it would be both complicated and expensive to buy one just for this!

I have a polaroid holder and manual developer back for my 4x5...now down to a Crown Graphic. since my stash of old frozen Polacolor and P55 is nearly depleted, it looks like the lomographic back is the only way to go with instant film thats available.

I have a polaroid holder and manual developer back for my 4x5...now down to a Crown Graphic. since my stash of old frozen Polacolor and P55 is nearly depleted, it looks like the lomographic back is the only way to go with instant film thats available.

The Lomograflok piqued my curiosity too, but I resisted since I don't have any 4x5 gear at all ... and I already have WAY too much gear I'm not using to add to the closet clutter.

But I've advanced my efforts to combine an Instax SQ processing unit (a spare bought from the folks who did the Magny 35 device) with a Mamiya Press 23 lens mount and Sekor 65mm lens. I've got to get to the hardware store to find some bolts and nuts the right sizes. Once I have them, I can set up the film plane registration accurately and secure the lens mount to the processing unit. Then I'll build a trim light-proof box around that assembly. Ta da! A wacky instant film camera...

:D

G

The Lomograflok piqued my curiosity too, but I resisted since I don't have any 4x5 gear at all ... and I already have WAY too much gear I'm not using to add to the closet clutter.

But I've advanced my efforts to combine an Instax SQ processing unit (a spare bought from the folks who did the Magny 35 device) with a Mamiya Press 23 lens mount and Sekor 65mm lens. I've got to get to the hardware store to find some bolts and nuts the right sizes. Once I have them, I can set up the film plane registration accurately and secure the lens mount to the processing unit. Then I'll build a trim light-proof box around that assembly. Ta da! A wacky instant film camera...

:D

G

Good luck with that!! A Graphic used to be a very cheap entry into 4x5 but maybe these days it isn't so good.

I do remember ...that Polaroid P55 made excellent 4x5 negs when exposed correctly (ie not for the positive). I read it was a favorite of Adams, at least for a while.

I do remember ...that Polaroid P55 made excellent 4x5 negs when exposed correctly (ie not for the positive). I read it was a favorite of Adams, at least for a while.

I used to extract the negatives out of Polaroid and Fuji pack film format prints too. Washed clear with a mild bleach solution and then fixed, they made excellent negatives to scan and print with even more quality than the prints.

There is some funky methodology for extracting the very delicate image out of an Impossible (nee: Polaroid) new film-integral film frame, from under the clear acrylic cover sheet, but I never managed to do it successfully. I just scan the prints, using either a copy camera or flatbed scanner workflow, and work with the digital image instead.

G

Back