InstantKon by MiNT

The Lomograflok piqued my curiosity too, but I resisted since I don't have any 4x5 gear at all ... and I already have WAY too much gear I'm not using to add to the closet clutter.

But I've advanced my efforts to combine an Instax SQ processing unit (a spare bought from the folks who did the Magny 35 device) with a Mamiya Press 23 lens mount and Sekor 65mm lens. I've got to get to the hardware store to find some bolts and nuts the right sizes. Once I have them, I can set up the film plane registration accurately and secure the lens mount to the processing unit. Then I'll build a trim light-proof box around that assembly. Ta da! A wacky instant film camera...

:D

G

I just build my own fixed lens 4x5 from hobby plywood, black on black 3/16 inch foam core and other oddments. Can experiment with all manner of lenses. For a Instax Wide, which has a diagonal of 117mm lenses from 6x9 cameras (diagonal of 101mm) will generally cover okay. Most of the better 3 and 4 element ones have front cell focusing by scale so no need to mess with a focusing helical. They usually stop to f32 so even in bright sun you could get away with a shutter that tops out at 1/200 second.
And, did you know that the 110mm plastic lens from that Kickstarter disaster ’Jollylook’ instant camera works fairly well on 4x5 stopped down to f45-f64? Just place it fixed at infinity and use paper negatives for cheap and slow photography.

Edit; I also tried to salvage the developing/film holder module but it was of such poor quality that everything except the lens wound up in the bin. So, my 101mm f4.5 Kodak Anastar from a Tourist 6x9 cost me $25 and the plastic lens from the Jollylook cost me $48! My dumb.

Back