Interested in the fujifilm x10

I've been more than pleased with image quality having printed some shots to 16 x12. I tend to shoot RAW. Handling is nice as it has that old time camera feel, like a film RF. Never had (or at least nerver noticed) an orb problem in the 8 months I've owned it. I like using the hyperfocal setting to shoot quick street stuff.
I go off on a weeks hol here in the UK from tomorrow and it will be the only camera going with me. That said, I'm considering selling mine when I return to raise some funds. Something has to go first I'm afraid. If you're considering one I say go ahead and enjoy.

paul, yours are some of the best images that i've seen come from this little machine...thinking of selling to buy something else?

I do like the X10, although I already had an X100 at the time so I passed on it.
If I was after a compact with a zoom lens it would probably be the one. From what I've read/heard/seen the orb thing seemed pretty overblown to me too, but I have no worthwhile experience to offer.

Conveniently there's an X10 that's just been put up for sale in the classifieds, if you're interested.

It's mine; I've been meaning to put it up for a while now.

It's a great little camera. I've never noticed the orb issue in any shots, but no clue if it will produce them or not.

I have been using an X10 for the last 5 months, this is what I found:
It looks great and feels great in the hands. Quite inconspicuous when shooting, pretty fast too, auto focus sometimes gets confused. Start up time average. The sensor works better at 6Mp (m size) than at 12. Dynamic range very good. Colors excellent, sharpness fair. Excellent apertures all the way up to 112mm. Hard to post-process the raw files in Lightroom or elsewhere, but jpgs are great. ISO is fine up to 800, then noise creeps in, but not too bad. Macro only good at 28mm. Flash unit too weak. Advanced modes like Panorama and Pro Focus very-very nice. Viewfinder gives poor coverage but it's OK. Video pretty good too. Battery life stinks.
Conclusion: a nice camera, hard to put down, feels classic and sturdy, easy to carry and pretty nice for most light situations. Terrific if your final results are for computer viewing and the web. Take care how you twist the lens.
Cheers.

I have one and find it a great camera to use.I haven't found any issues with the white orb thingie.As for the overexposure issue,I just have the camera set to -1/3.No big deal.I have to do that with my Nikon D7000 also.The 85% viewfinder isn't all that hard to get used to either.picture quality isn't nothing to sneeze at either.
All in all, I'm not disappointed with this camera.

paul, yours are some of the best images that i've seen come from this little machine...thinking of selling to buy something else?

Been pleased with the quality of the shots I've got from the X10 Joe but it doesn't get as much use as I thought it would, even so I've used it alongside my X100 and RD1 and it has proved itself a worthy buy.
My regular pocket cam though is the Ricoh GRD IV and this gets carried around a bit more often. Between the two, the X10 has the better image quality in my eyes.

So all new Fuji X10's have a new sensor and no orb problem?

I think that you would need to check serial numbers with Fuji - however, they will replace the sensor anyway.

Mine had an early sensor, and although the orb problem never occurred in 'real' use, I did manage to provoke the problem once, by shooting an image containing a point light source in a dark room.

I recently sent mine to Fuji UK, for sensor replacement - all at no cost to me (pre-paid carriage). When I got it back, I tried to provoke the orb problem again using the same situation as the first test. The orb problem did not occur, so full marks to Fuji!

Most of the other comments here are very fair. The limitations described by others are roughly in line with my experience. Despite these, in the context of small-sensor P&S cameras, the x10 very good - and very enjoyable to use.

Good luck with your decision.

I've never really got the point of the x10 when the x100 can be had for not that much more. It's a whole lot more camera IMO, and still tiny/lightweight.

I've never really got the point of the x10 when the x100 can be had for not that much more. It's a whole lot more camera IMO, and still tiny/lightweight.

It's a good point, and I have to say that I occasionally wonder why I have both of these cameras.

That said, the x10:

a) is significantly smaller
b) has a very useful (and fast) range of zoom
c) has better video capability (if that matters in one's decision-making)
d) cost (at the time) about 40% of the x100 price. (I'm aware that the respective prices have converged since then, but I believe that, even now, there's a significant price difference - especially for someone on a tighter budget.)

As a stills camera, the x100 is, of course, superior. I still marvel at its output, and I just love using it. However, the x10 is also very nice to use, and I do think that it has a place.

Of course, as with all these discussions, YMMV:cool::).

Because some people like to use focal lengths other than 35mm equiv. too?
Because here in Germany it's 918€ vs. 438€?
And so on.

regarding the sensor there are statmemts from Fuji about this. I'm aware of no drawback of the new sensor vs. the old one.
Fuji said you can not tell the sensor from the sn.

Buy a camera and either return it after a negative WDS check (not all old sensors were affected) or send it to Fuji for replacement.

It's a good point, and I have to say that I occasionally wonder why I have both of these cameras.

That said, the x10:

a) is significantly smaller
b) has a very useful (and fast) range of zoom
c) has better video capability (if that matters in one's decision-making)
d) cost (at the time) about 40% of the x100 price. (I'm aware that the respective prices have converged since then, but I believe that, even now, there's a significant price difference - especially for someone on a tighter budget.)

As a stills camera, the x100 is, of course, superior. I still marvel at its output, and I just love using it. However, the x10 is also very nice to use, and I do think that it has a place.

Of course, as with all these discussions, YMMV:cool::).

Because some people like to use focal lengths other than 35mm equiv. too?
Because here in Germany it's 918€ vs. 438€?
And so on.

Fair enough :)

Fair enough :)

plus i paid $1000 for x100 and $305 for the x10. thats a significant price difference to me. having used both i would pay $1500 for the x100, buti would never pay the $600 list price for the x10. that doesnt mean i'm unhappy with the x10, just that imo its not worth the list price. it is worth something in the low to mid $300s.
tony

... I was surprised just how nice the x10 felt, and disappointed as always with the user interface ... do none of Fuji's designers have an iphone for goodness sake!

... I was surprised just how nice the x10 felt, and disappointed as always with the user interface ... do none of Fuji's designers have an iphone for goodness sake!

I can agree, at least to some extent, with this. I find the ergonomics very nice, but the user interface is probably the weakest aspect of the x10, IMO.

I really wish that Fuji would take note of the many criticisms that arise on this aspect of their otherwise-excellent cameras.

Really good IQ for that little camera. The optical viewfinder is absolutely horrific though, you will repel quickly.

1. Really good IQ: I agree. and the High-ISO performance is very good; much better than my Leica D-Lux 3.

2. The optical finder: Let me expand on that a bit. First, to say it covers 85% I would say is optimistic. I don't get a realistic idea at all, of how much picture I will get. The optical finder cannot be depended on for focus. I have no idea at all what if anything is being focused on. I have gotten so many out of focus shots that I've stopped using the optical finder.

3. I would prefer a little on-off switch on the top, to having to rotate the zoom ring to turn it on. I find that inconvenient.

4. Aperture has no RAW converter for the X10.

OK (2) (3) and (4) are my gripes. They are my only gripes, though. Outside of these, it is a really great little camera. I especially like it that they have provided for imitating Astia, Provia, and Velvia! And the little fast-access buttons eliminate the need for getting into menus for the most-needed adjustments.

This will give an idea of the IQ at ISO 1600, f/2.8. I find it impressive, and an important reason for keeping the camera:
15451673-lg.jpg

When a question is usually asked like this people tend to focus on the negative (I am not pointing fingers at anyone) its just my general observations. yes, maybe that's important, we all have our points on what's important to us.

I have the x pro1...I got the x10 for my wife, and a backup (that's my excuse anyway)

I have found:
1. it to feel great in hand and material
2. Like the x pro1, x100 have at least some of the dials handy for exposure (important to me)
3. macro is fantastic!!!!
4. Pano is fun as well. I love this in both cameras
5. I have a 21xxx serial number. Heard the new sensors in 22xxx, I have tried to create orbs in bright light at iso100 and bright chrome highlights with limited , if any success
6. It also has a Intelligent Digital Zoom which changes the focal range of 28-112 to 56-224 (people don;t often mention that)
7. EXR and the menus don't take that long to learn.
8. If I need to I briefly look back at the LCD for a moment when using the OVF, but have learned in short order it's focus habits.

I take it for what it is and right now love my gear (both cameras) and won't even bother to mention all the other cameras I have owned. If you really desire a OVF there's not any other choices without an add-on for other cameras. I do not think you will be disappointed. It's not perfect, but it sure makes me smile.

ADDENDUM TO MY EARLIER REVIEW

ive had a chance to use the camera a little bit more today in its intended, at least for me, setting:street shooting. perhaps i was a little too hasty in being somewhat dismissive or down on this cams IQ. i didnt say it was bad, just i wasnt really overly impressed.

let me amend that to read i'm not overly impressed with how i initially used it.:(. imo one needs to shoot 'people' as close to wide open as possible, and not much higher than 2.8. this makes a big difference. similarly, landscapes, buildings etc should be shot not much higher than f4. street shooting, f4. again, this is only my opinion, but IQ, sharpness, overall 'feel' really suffers if you shoot this cam, as i initially did, like your slr or film cam in terms of aperture settings. they are much improved per above.

at those settings i was really pretty impressed, not $600 impressed, but maybe $450 impressed...:)
tony

ADDENDUM TO MY EARLIER REVIEW

ive had a chance to use the camera a little bit more today in its intended, at least for me, setting:street shooting. perhaps i was a little too hasty in being somewhat dismissive or down on this cams IQ. i didnt say it was bad, just i wasnt really overly impressed.

let me amend that to read i'm not overly impressed with how i initially used it.:(. imo one needs to shoot 'people' as close to wide open as possible, and not much higher than 2.8. this makes a big difference. similarly, landscapes, buildings etc should be shot not much higher than f4. street shooting, f4. again, this is only my opinion, but IQ, sharpness, overall 'feel' really suffers if you shoot this cam, as i initially did, like your slr or film cam in terms of aperture settings. they are much improved per above.

at those settings i was really pretty impressed, not $600 impressed, but maybe $450 impressed...:)
tony

Yea, that is the first mistake most people make when first using a digicam with a very small sensor, shooting stopped down too much. I did it.

My experience mirrors that of what others have said about it's quirks and liabilities but damn it is so small and cute it is hard to give up.

Bob

Back