Irrational urge to edit other people's classified ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used car dealers generally know what the market will bear. People that don't sell gear every day might appreciate a few tips.

Used car dealers generally know what the market will bear.

So why do I see so many used cars priced on dealers forecourts far above the price for the same car at other dealers and why do I see so many of them not being sold, and why do I see so many used car dealers going under??

Cheers,

John

It appears the seller is appreciative:

Thank you all for your contributions and comments. Some I did find useful and I implemented many suggestions to clarify a few fine points.

So why do I see so many used cars priced on dealers forecourts far above the price for the same car at other dealers and why do I see so many of them not being sold, and why do I see so many used car dealers going under??

Professional sellers that don't figure out how to sell, will likely go under, or they will learn how it's done and avoid it. :)

Professional sellers that don't figure out how to sell, will likely go under, or they will learn how it's done and avoid it. :)

So the best thing for a novice or inexperienced seller who wants to sell something through the classifieds here is to ask for advice from more experienced / professional sellers here on how to price / grade and market their item? And if they don't ask for advice before placing their advert, be grateful that there are more experienced / professional sellers here who can point out the error of their ways.

Still confused :confused:

Cheers,

John

If you ruin someone's ad by drawing attention or leaving comment that is not asked for then you should have to pay for that ad.
It's the sellers choice and all you do gooders should mind your own business.
Seriously, were you all library monitors or school prefects?
After this I seriously doubt he's got any chance of selling those items here so the OP should refund his ad fee for interfering.
If you are not buying an advertised item then the price or condition is irrelevant and has nothing to do with you.

Couldn't agree more with nobbylon's post above.

Basically, I just feel that people should be able to place adverts here without having them picked to pieces, or given unsolicited advice and tips from those that profess to have more knowledge of the item they are selling, market etc.

Cheers,

John

Exactly, too many advert assasins here.

As for limiting people with x amount of posts to list items for sale, I can't see it as it's revenue for site owner.

I do think that prices are expected to be lower here than anywhere else.

I respectfully disagree.

Rangefinderforum is, unlike eBay, a community. If I see a dodgy item on eBay, I think caveat emptor. But with rff, if I see a dodgy ad, I do feel more affronted. Doing a passive-aggressive post, rather like that of the OP, is an action I sympathise with!

I have had people post on my ads to say something looks good, and I've done the same with items for sale. I full understand that the converse is not allowed - people pay for their ads. That doesn't stop me wanting to point out when something is dodgy. It's my love of my fellow man.

Reading the Classifieds Guidelines (link here, scroll down the page to the guidelines), the only guideline I can see that concerns comments is:

13) DO NOT place negative comments about ads or auctions. Sellers are free to place their ads. Buyers are free to buy, or not buy. There is no need for animosity.

indeed. and this doesn't make it a less dump policy.

"Obviously wrong" and "responsibility of the buyer" are only obvious to some people, with the correct experience.
If my mom wants to buy a leica on these classifieds to make me a present, welll she won't be able to spot the differences between photos and description, and shw WILL trust the description better than a few small photos.
Is it OK to fool my mom and conclude it's her fault?

indeed. and this doesn't make it a less dump policy.

"Obviously wrong" and "responsibility of the buyer" are only obvious to some people, with the correct experience.
If my mom wants to buy a leica on these classent ext, this thread is to an ifieds to make me a present, welll she won't be able to spot the differences between photos and description, and shw WILL trust the description better than a few small photos.
Is it OK to fool my mom and conclude it's her fault?

«Sola scriptura», so to say? ;)
I'm really mesmerized whether this thread might be supposed to identify very clearly the participants' individual political/religious stances ;)

I always read between the lines of sales ads anyways

Why is it so hard to run a camera through a function test. Been burned with wrinkled shutters, Minolta XDs where meters don't work, undisclosed cleaning marks on "mint" glass...

Just be honest

Mint, excited, vg, ugly used to all mean something before online ads and photos

Still can't see what all the fuss is about.

Why does it matter to so many people what price a seller wants to sell their item at?

I don't feel the need or urge to go round the local used car lots telling the dealers the cars they have for sale are overpriced, not described properly - or give them advice on how best to sell them.

Cheers,

John

Agree. Dont like it, dont buy it. Also, I dont think the ad was made on a misleading way (he put some pretty clear photos, showing the item condition), probably just innacurate, but I think most people could tell that and dont get offense or think the seller was trying to scam them.

Regars

Marcelo

This thread must have been the reason for nobody posting anything in the classifieds last weekend.

It was a boring 72 hrs.

I respectfully disagree.

Rangefinderforum is, unlike eBay, a community. If I see a dodgy item on eBay, I think caveat emptor. But with rff, if I see a dodgy ad, I do feel more affronted. Doing a passive-aggressive post, rather like that of the OP, is an action I sympathise with!

I have had people post on my ads to say something looks good, and I've done the same with items for sale. I full understand that the converse is not allowed - people pay for their ads. That doesn't stop me wanting to point out when something is dodgy. It's my love of my fellow man.

feel free to post nice things but if you jeopardise sales from my ads then you should pay for them. I don't mess with your business so don't mess with mine and to be honest Stephen should have stamped on this at first light. If this is the way things are going here it's worse than ebay because it's a bunch of do gooders trying to set prices that they want to pay. Feel free to trade and buy from each other at prices you feel comfortable paying but don't try to manipulate or set prices. The contract is between buyer and seller or vice versa and NOT nosey or interfering 3rd party want to be ad police.

Reading the Classifieds Guidelines (link here, scroll down the page to the guidelines), the only guideline I can see that concerns comments is:

13) DO NOT place negative comments about ads or auctions. Sellers are free to place their ads. Buyers are free to buy, or not buy. There is no need for animosity.

Exactly. Sellers must have a safe stress free place to sell.

Buy or not, that is your choice if you are reading the ad.

What if that same seller is put off by your comments and you miss the that prize you were looking for
because next time they have sold it elsewhere?

Without sellers, there are no classified ads. Be nice to them.

At the same time, for those who have not bothered to read the RFF classifieds guidelines, please do so.

There are 15 Classified Guidelines below the classified thumbnails.
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost-classifieds/index.php?cat=1

Stephen

As I said, if you think an ad is misleading or even fraudulent, notify a moderator.
In general, on fora, there are moderators to handle the problems and running of the forum. It is always a bad idea for members to play police and judge by themselves. There is no need for vigilantes

I don't mess with your business so don't mess with mine and to be honest Stephen should have stamped on this at first light. If this is the way things are going here it's worse than ebay because it's a bunch of do gooders....

Interesting post. At no point did I endorse adding negative comments to people's ads, rather I mentioned that I felt loyalty to the community, and have often posted positive comments on ads.

I'll make sure I don't post positive comments on your classifieds, as requested. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back