Irrational urge to edit other people's classified ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for your contributions and comments. Some I did find useful and I implemented many suggestions to clarify a few fine points. I do remember the time when I wanted to rekindle my rangefinder experience. While I started out photography with a Russian made Leica copy, but for many decades I became an SRL and later a DSRL user. However about six years ago I bought my M9. Before I did, I was surfing many Leica forum to educate myself. I admit that I am more of a consumer of forums rather than contributor. Nevertheless I bought my first Leica as a kit (it was the M8.2 with a 28mm Summicron.) I sold the camera and kept the lens. I still have it. Leica also sells from time to time kits. So I am convinced there is a market for it. Perhaps not like you Leicaphyle folks, but there are people who would like to pick up a complete kit and start experimenting. This group is my target market.
It is somewhat sad that you people do not make room for these newbies. Many of you sound like some uber elite expert, who cannot tolerate other people with less knowledge than you claim to have. According to you (at least that what sounds like) people who cannot identify any Leica product by it’s serial number, including the color, the year when it was produced and the chief designer, should not share the planet with you. They just sucking the air from the worthy.
However I am a big boy, and as long as things do not get personal, I can take it. If I get bruised I will remember to list myself as BGN and nothing above. Thank you all again for the experience and for taking the time and giving me a good lesson.

I joined here after looking at the forum many times .
Only joined to post an ad for a tower camera , 9 years later still here .
Everyone has that first ad with 0 feedback
Welcome .
The photos in your ad are good enough for potential buyers to make a decision , and the description notes the shutter actuations .
With Leica people I've found the expectations of the description to be very high .

Interesting post. At no point did I endorse adding negative comments to people's ads, rather I mentioned that I felt loyalty to the community, and have often posted positive comments on ads.

I'll make sure I don't post positive comments on your classifieds, as requested. :)

No and I didn't say you did but what you did do is sympathise with the OP's passive aggresive destructive posting on someone elses ad!
I'm also all for encouraging other sellers and endorsing other good sellers I know and have had dealings with.
The moderators to my mind should delete ANY post that threatens a sellers ad by way of price or condition critisism. The seller is responsible for those and by paying for an ad is entitled to a fair crack at a sale without having to deal with the 'experts' or price police.

No and I didn't say you did but what you did do is sympathise with the OP's passive aggresive destructive posting on someone elses ad!
I'm also all for encouraging other sellers and endorsing other good sellers I know and have had dealings with.
The moderators to my mind should delete ANY post that threatens a sellers ad by way of price or condition critisism. The seller is responsible for those and by paying for an ad is entitled to a fair crack at a sale without having to deal with the 'experts' or price police.

So the sense of community disappears in the Classifieds section? Then it is a free for all as long as the seller has paid his fee?

Here's the deal. The seller, previously unknown to us, and who only knew of this thread because he was directed to it by someone else who commented directly on his ad, placed an ad for a beat up camera that was $2000 more than the current going rate. The original text stated that it was in Mint condition, and all knowledgeable experts would agree with him. That text has since been removed, thanks to this thread, which I think is a good thing.
While the 'experts' among us know about correct pricing and condition, we also have newbies who have joined this site, who may not know much about condition and pricing but feel because they are now part of our community that this would be a trusted place to buy (and sell) items.
Because we would take care of them, as we are meant to be a community.

If that's not the case then this is just another place on the web where everyone is just out for themselves. We don't need that here, we have ebay for that!

whichever way you spin it Huss, you interfered with someone else's ad. It's really that simple and even having been told by the site owner to read the rules, you, and others are choosing to try and make your own. I don't care one jot how much others decide to charge for their 'for sale' items. If I'm in the market I do my own homework but you and some others have decided to play expert and educate both buyers and sellers. I personally think you should show some humility, admit you were wrong and refund the ad you ruined.
I don't need favours or education on pricing from you or anyone else. I decide on my items value and also what I wish to pay for something.
Stephen has already told you where to look so what's the difficulty?
You're banging on about community but also trying to tell others how to sell their gear. The point is obviously lost on you and some. I've said my piece and it's now up to the mods to instruct and educate you what the rules of this community are.

It's rather unfortunate this thread has deteriorated.

There is value (from multiple viewpoints) in these sorts of discussions but only if they proceed in a friendly manner.

There are ways to present one's position while remaining civil.

It's rather unfortunate this thread has deteriorated.

There is value (from multiple viewpoints) in these sorts of discussions but only if they proceed in a friendly manner.

There are ways to present one's position while remaining civil.

Indeed and trying to impose ones will against others by virtue of post count or self professed expertise is not one of them.
The rules are quite clear and although it was not done directly in the sellers ad, the defamatory post left no one in any doubt as to which ad was being spoken about.
I believe that this was not nice behaviour and actually goes against the community spirit that is been harped on about by some members.
It deteriorated the minute someones paid ad was torn apart by interference.

When I posted an ad, it said that the ad is "pending approval". Doesn't this imply that a mod is reading an ad before it is posted? If there are classifieds with misleading item descriptions or otherwise dubious classifieds (I am not implying that this one was), aren't these caught during the approval? The number of classifieds is so low that I this could easily be done.

When I posted an ad, it said that the ad is "pending approval". Doesn't this imply that a mod is reading an ad before it is posted? If there are classifieds with misleading item descriptions or otherwise dubious classifieds (I am not implying that this one was), aren't these caught during the approval? The number of classifieds is so low that I this could easily be done.

I always thought 'pending approval' meant waiting for payment to clear!

Pending Approval is the default software terminology for making sure payment has been processed.

Mods do not inspect ads before the ads are posted. The software does not even allow that.

Stephen

This thread has gone south. It is now closed.

RFF classified guidelines were in place before most of the posters in this thread ever joined RFF.

Those guidelines have worked well over the years with a minimum of problems.

Mods will step in if need be, their judgement. Otherwise its up to the buyers and sellers to buy and sell intelligently.

Thank you all for being concerned about making RFF a better site.
Its inevitable however that not everyone will agree.

Best,
Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back