Is it allowed to use an M camera during a concert?

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
9:52 PM
Specifically, is it a good idea to take along an M camera with a 50mm lens to a Taylor Swift concert, or is this not allowed?
I Googled it, and I found this:
Camera bags and cases are not allowed; Cameras with lenses over 5″ are not permitted; and. No professional or commercial cameras, which includes any camera with detachable lens

copyright. the bands own their own image and want some sort of control over how they are photographed. the venues are private property so they have the right to control what sort of photography is allowed.

On the other hand – point-and-shoot, simple digital cameras and phone cameras are allowed. Just bring these types and take as many pictures as you want!

What are your experiences with photography during concerts?
Should I get a small digital camera and use it instead?
I have the (old models) Olympus 4/3 cameras.

I think it's probably allowed to take a Leica. Depending on if you're sitting or standing, having a valuable camera with you might not be a good idea. If you're in a crowd of partying people, drinks might get spilled, people might trip and fall. How likely is it that you'll get good photos of the performer without a long lens? And how often will you really look at those photos again? In my personal opinion, it's best to just enjoy the music and not worry about expensive gear. But I do not know the circumstances, your seats, the venue, who you're going with, etc.

If I were you and couldn't do without the photos I'd bring a point and shoot, or use my phone.

Last edited:
I think it's probably allowed to take a Leica. Depending on if you're sitting or standing, having a valuable camera with you might not be a good idea. If you're in a crows of partying people, drinks might get spilled, people might trip and fall. How likely is it that you'll get good photos of the performer without a long lens? And how often will you really look at these photos again? In my personal opinion, it's best to just enjoy the music and not worry about expensive gear. But I do not know the circumstances, your seats, the venue, who you're going with, etc.

If I were you and couldn't do without the photos I'd bring a point and shoot, or use my phone.
I'm glad Jim Marshall wasn't too worried about his Leicas....you know, trip hazards, partying etc
Raid, I think you'll do fine with a phone....I wouldn't spend money on another camera just to get a pic of Taylor Swift.... ;)

A friend of mine has the latest Samsung Galaxy and the quality of the images on maximum zoom is impressive. A phone would definitely be my choice. Great to have daughters Raid! 😄

A friend of mine has the latest Samsung Galaxy and the quality of the images on maximum zoom is impressive. A phone would definitely be my choice. Great to have daughters Raid! 😄
I agree with you, Keith!

Raid: you certainly put that into perspective very succinctly. Totally agree!
We will accompany our daughters to a Taylor Swift concert to have a family activity together. I don’t know any songs by her. My first ever vinyl album was Rubber Soul which I got as a birthday gift when it was released.
1690067331301.png

Last edited:
Years ago, drummer Tammy Diddley and her band were playing at a small biker bar just up the road. I got the inside scoop that her father, Bo Diddley, who lived about an hour up the road was coming one night and would sit in with her. Suspecting I was not the only one with that info, I arrived very early and got a front row table for the unusually packed place. I had my ContaxG and a pocket full of film trying to be clandestine among a room full of locals with their cameras. Bo Diddley, his wife, and his two person entourage arrived. One of them came over to me and told me that I was not allowed to photograph. No one else, just me not allowed to photograph as he pointed to my camera. At least it was a good performance.

Taylor Swift is no Paul McCartney.

Every past generation gets offended by the current generation's music idols ... It's our job after all. I remember when I spent my hard earned pocket money on The Beatles' A Hard Days Night album at age twelve my father was appalled. He took me aside and told me that I had wasted my money because like most 'pop' artists they were a flash in the pan and would never amount to anything! :ROFLMAO:

I was at an out door concert 3 years ago and went to take a picture with my Fuji X-E3 & 50mm lens. Security was on me like flies on you know what. Everyone was taking pictures with their cell phones so I did the same. Makes no sense what's so ever.

Back in the day when there were no smartphones, arena concerts strictly limited photography. I had floor seats for U2 back in the 80s (Unforgettable Fire tour) and smuggled in an M4-2 and a 90 Tele Elmarit, stuffed the body in one sock and the lens in the other so I passed through the inspection without any issue. No one hassled me when shooting, I presume anyone paying attention assumed I was authorized, and when I ran out of film I bummed another roll off one of the official photogs. :)

Years ago, drummer Tammy Diddley and her band were playing at a small biker bar just up the road. I got the inside scoop that her father, Bo Diddley, who lived about an hour up the road was coming one night and would sit in with her. Suspecting I was not the only one with that info, I arrived very early and got a front row table for the unusually packed place. I had my ContaxG and a pocket full of film trying to be clandestine among a room full of locals with their cameras. Bo Diddley, his wife, and his two person entourage arrived. One of them came over to me and told me that I was not allowed to photograph. No one else, just me not allowed to photograph as he pointed to my camera. At least it was a good performance.
Very interesting! The G is small, why did it trigger attention?

Back