is it me or the xe3?

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
8:08 PM
i use the xe3 on a daily basis...lately when i turn it on and check that no dials have moved, i have noticed that some menu settings have changed...like, which iso it's set for, or what film simulation is set...
any one else going through this?
am i missing a lock feature or have my electronics started to go?…

Do you use the "custom dial" settings?

Sometimes I change a custom setting on the fly, and then forget to "save" the changes to the custom setting before I shut the camera off.

Then, when I turn my camera back on, the settings revert to the previously saved custom settings.

Do you use the "custom dial" settings?

Sometimes I change a custom setting on the fly, and then forget to "save" the changes to the custom setting before I shut the camera off.

Then, when I turn my camera back on, the settings revert to the previously saved custom settings.

i don't use the custom settings often...
on another forum someone did a complete reset and then input his settings and that seems to work.

On a more serious note it's strange that only a few go wonky. I'm wondering if there are other forums/sites that might have a larger number of XE-3 users. Is there a user-support-forum from Fuji that you could post a question to?

She's all solid state memory and worked fine for a while before. Spinning disk I could see dropping a bit here or there, but not solid state after working.

Any XE-3 users out there have something like this happening?

Anyone else have a very cute loving dog with a wickedly rye sense of humor?

B2 (;->

Sometimes these cameras have an internal battery that keeps charge when the main battery is charging, and when the button style battery runs flat they lose settings when the main battery is out. Worth checking to see if it does have an internal battery?

Sometimes these cameras have an internal battery that keeps charge when the main battery is charging, and when the button style battery runs flat they lose settings when the main battery is out. Worth checking to see if it does have an internal battery?

a good (but frustrating) idea...i'm assuming that i would have to send the body off to fuji for a battery replacement.

went for my walk earlier and all was good, nothing changed on it's own. i did not alter my behaviour in any way.
weird...

a good (but frustrating) idea...i'm assuming that i would have to send the body off to fuji for a battery replacement.

My New-To-Me XE-2 is back at KEH as it came with a dead internal battery. I's somewhere in the process, but everything went back to factory setting, date, time, all settings.

My guess is that the XE-3 would have the same basic design.

B2 (;->

Do I remember correctly that this is your XE3 that overheated in your camera case when you first got it? If so, the internal battery circuit could have been damaged and is acting up intermittently. I would have expected that it would reset everything, however, rather than just random settings.

Do I remember correctly that this is your XE3 that overheated in your camera case when you first got it? If so, the internal battery circuit could have been damaged and is acting up intermittently. I would have expected that it would reset everything, however, rather than just random settings.

not the same body...the dealer traded me for a new one.

My New-To-Me XE-2 is back at KEH as it came with a dead internal battery. I's somewhere in the process, but everything went back to factory setting, date, time, all settings.

My guess is that the XE-3 would have the same basic design.

Doubt they actually use an internal battery for settings storage. Flash memory is cheap and prevalent now (and also built into many microprocessors). Flash memory has no need for an internal battery. Internal battery is likely just for the clock.

The camera will reset all settings if it thinks its internal memory is corrupted. Also if you change settings and then pull the battery without shutting it off the camera won't have saved your changes so your settings go back to where you were when the camera was turned on. At least the XP2 does this, haven't tried it on the XE2.

Shawn

Doubt they actually use an internal battery for settings storage. Flash memory is cheap and prevalent now (and also built into many microprocessors). Flash memory has no need for an internal battery. Internal battery is likely just for the clock.

The camera will reset all settings if it thinks its internal memory is corrupted. Also if you change settings and then pull the battery without shutting it off the camera won't have saved your changes so your settings go back to where you were when the camera was turned on. At least the XP2 does this, haven't tried it on the XE2.

Shawn

well, that complicates things a bit more...;)

Shawn

In speaking with KEH it seems that Sony is a bit more famous for having the problem with internal batteries going bad. Low cost bidder is such a wonderful thing.

CMOS batteries in computers are used to keep not only the clock running but basic hardware configuration used for booting.

While it's possible to write a bit of code that would reset memory to factory settings if the system thinks it corrupted. That's a pretty big level of smarts for a small embedded system. You need to have a battery to keep the time/date current so I doubt they will go through the added expense.

I wonder what the high end digital camera makers do?

B2 (;->

While it's possible to write a bit of code that would reset memory to factory settings if the system thinks it corrupted. That's a pretty big level of smarts for a small embedded system. You need to have a battery to keep the time/date current so I doubt they will go through the added expense.

I wonder what the high end digital camera makers do?

B2 (;->

Not really, just a checksum is all it would take. A couple of lines of code is less expensive than hardware to supply a battery to memory to just keep settings current. And it would still want to have a checksum to make sure settings are valid and not corrupted by a brownout.

The X Pro 2 had a bug where it would wipe its settings occasionally. Many had the same thought about a 'bad battery.' Firmware v1.01 fixed it which confirms a battery wasn't the problem.

The other way you can tell it is likely using flash memory to save settings.... the camera doesn't save the settings till you turn it off. It loads settings into ram to run and adjusts those settings while you are using the camera. When you switch the camera off it updates the stored settings. Probably to reduce the number of writes to the internal flash memory which has a finite number of write cycles. (In the thousands at least) If you pull the battery the camera will loose any changes you made during that run cycle.

Shawn

Back