Is Street Photography Dead?

• Yes

Votes: 82 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 317 79.4%

• Total voters
"Same as it always was!" - Talking Heads

"Same as it always was!" - Talking Heads

Street photography, and any other photography genre, is the same as it always was. Its selecting out a small bit of life in a small bit of time to see what that looks like. Nothing more, nothing less. So I think its not dead; its the same as it always was. :)

Street photography is about as dead as the likelihood of new threads or posts about the death of street photography.

Photographing the real Elvis is dead. Can you guarantee me that street photography is not vibrant in, say, India or Lapland or New Mexico? Or are you just talking about smarmy New York City and Paris street photographers who know how to gather publicity for their work? If you take a glance outdoors you will see the world has changed. The big media centers have rolled over and died and the Big Media Center is in everyone's living room or grubby little hands. You won't find olde tyme style photogs making a name for themselves in the old tyme ways any more. Does that mean the nueva photogs don't count? Where did Vivian Maier take most of her photos and how many Upper East Side exhibitions did she have when she was alive? How many times was she in Paris Match or Life magazines when she was alive. The parade's gone by and the new ones you will not recognize. But that does not mean somebody still does not have to clean up after the elephants.

Yes, it's dead. If stating that is what it takes to get every diarrhea-of-the-shutter Canon Rebel user off the subway posting photos of sleeping homeless people onto flickr, then yes, it's dead.

If I'm doing a street type candid portrait i usually will ask if it's a moment type thing I just see it and shoot. But they usually know I'm taken a photograph but it's usually after the image has been taken.

You don't need releases unless you are going to use it for a commercial type endeavor like to sell as stock or to use as advertising. For a book here or an exhibit if it's taken in public in a public space then a release is not necessary unless you use it as I already mentioned.

Yes... Meyerowitz' thoughts are interesting and inspiring! Thanks for posting the link. Does anyone know if the movie Everybody Street is available for purchase or download somewhere?

IIRC it is going to premier at one of the big film festivals but I can't remember which one. And then hopefully to some theaters and maybe, if we are lucky, PBS.

Back