Is Street Photography Dead?

Is Street Photography Dead?

• Yes

Votes: 82 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 317 79.4%

• Total voters
No, but I would not go so far as to say it'll never die.

For one thing, it could go out of style, like any genre. That's a special hazard in modern times since the world is awash in everyone's images.

For another thing, people in 2013 are very fearful of strangers taking pictures of people. Sometimes they report you to the nearest police officer, and sometimes the cop agrees with the complaint. That is a big deterrent to street shooting.

Tom

"If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough."
Robert Capa

Of course, he also got too close to a landmine and was killed, so "close enough" isn't necessarily a measure of physical distance, but one of engagement.

A few of mine:

Attachments

• 229121_10151087145379675_1921968271_n.jpg
    229121_10151087145379675_1921968271_n.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 429791_10150652399349675_1842539838_n.jpg
    429791_10150652399349675_1842539838_n.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
Jamie,

According to a Kickstarter update from yesterday, they are currently negotiating a NY premiere for end of October/beginning of November. Backers will be able to download the movie prior to the first theatrical release. I would imagine they will make it available online to the general public at some point in the future but it may not be for a while.

Yes... Meyerowitz' thoughts are interesting and inspiring! Thanks for posting the link. Does anyone know if the movie Everybody Street is available for purchase or download somewhere?

Jamie,

According to a Kickstarter update from yesterday, they are currently negotiating a NY premiere for end of October/beginning of November. Backers will be able to download the movie prior to the first theatrical release. I would imagine they will make it available online to the general public at some point in the future but it may not be for a while.

V., Thanks for the update... much appreciated.

About ten miles from my abode in good weather the streets are crawling with street photographers and oftimes I join them. When it gets super hot they duck into someplace cool and come back out again when it is cooler again. The place is Palm Springs in California and it can get 125 degrees out here. We have the same climate as Baghdad, Iraq and we have a fifth season, the hot, sweaty monsoon season. So street photogrtaphy is hardly dead out here in the Mohave Desert.

"Everybody Street" illuminates the lives and work of New York's iconic street photographers and the incomparable city that has inspired them for decades. The documentary pays tribute to the spirit of street photography through a cinematic exploration of New York City, and captures the visceral rush, singular perseverance and at times immediate danger customary to these artists.

Hmmm, I don't think I'll be bothering with that.

All my experience tells me that delivery is inverse to the hyperbole.

Othe people will obviously hold different views. ;)

For all of us who shoot the streets it will always be alive and well, however commercially speaking it is pretty much if not dead than gasping its last final breaths. You can barely find a gallery willing to show it or promote it anymore. You can say it follows the argument "is film dead".

Back