Is the Leica obsession a fetish?

mgrinnan

Local time
11:40 PM
HNY everyone

Over the course of 2015 I acquired a couple of Leica lenses and an M3, all of which I use and enjoy. Yet since obtaining these tools, I've also developed a strange obsession with other lenses, bodies, etc. The 28mm summicron ASPH, the noctilux, the M-240, etc. Although an objectively low-earning type, I could probably afford buy an M6 and a 35mm lens, or whatever, which I would also use and enjoy. But my real question is whether or not the fixation on Leica merch and glass, tools if you will, is a fetish.

Does anybody else spend large amounts of time looking at pictures of cameras and lenses that they'll probably never buy, even if they could? Is it a fetish? When I was a mechanic, I remember snap-on tools had a huge pull, but for whatever reason, maybe the marketing/ad dept, they never captivated my desire and imagination to such a profound level.

While I must say these tools have fostered a newfound interest (and ability to pursue) in composition, the darkroom, B+W photography, and I have educated myself the best I know how, something about the desire for more gear and the fascination with expensive glass feels oddly perverse. Sometimes you're up at four AM and reading Overgaard or looking at the classifieds here and it just feels a little off.

In any case RFF is great and it's always good to see everybody's pics, and everyone on here has been extremely generous with feedback and help whenever I've had a question.

Godspeed

If it involves sexual desire then its a fetish. If not, then its just obsession.

In African mythology (from where this word originates) fetish has no sexual context....as far as I know....but probably sexual desire is better than substituting it with acquiring material objects!

My understanding is that if you use a feather it is erotism. If you use the whole chicken, it is a fetish.

GAS has many faces. As long as you want to stick to film, first class mechanical cameras are a must now, because they promise to function for years to come if well cared for. Leica has also a fondling factor and definitely a reliability allure superior to most other brands. Perhaps only the best Nikons can compare mechanically, but the glass is not anywhere near the same league (that's why I use my mechanical Nikons with leitaxed Leica R lenses). In medium format, a nice Rolleiflex or Hasselblad V can also spark a GAS attack, but the fondling factor is not there.
In digital I find Leica bodies as desirable as a smartphone or any other appliance destined to be consumed within a few years.

What are you thinking while you look at this stuff? When I browse ebay, I think of the possibilities. If the possibilities are something I'll NEVER do (sports photography, for instance), then I move on very easily. I get stuck on equipment that will help me do things I haven't done, but want to do. Then I have to sit and think if I really think having that piece will help, or is it just fantasy talking. The only place I really get out of control is with 50mm lenses and giant expanses of large format glass, but I'm learning to deal with that.

mgrinnan;2567963 something about the desire for more gear and the fascination with expensive glass feels oddly perverse. Sometimes you're up at four AM and reading Overgaard or looking at the classifieds here and it just feels a little off. [/QUOTE said:
It's natural, not perverse; just go with it and enjoy yourself. The puritanical, hair shirt spirit is ever alive in the world, that little voice always saying "no, no, your Instamatic is good enough for you." Ignore it:) If it's not putting you in debt, it's fine.
Things can't bring happiness, but they can bring pleasure, and usually that's enough.

All the magnificence in the world is the result of someone's obsession. (Though I must add that my similar behavior hasn't improved my results. Yet!)

I was interested in Leica M cameras and lenses, initially. Yes, I read about Leica gear.
I like to be educated technically. I also have tried dozen or so RF lenses.

My "fetish desire" is to have Canadian lens on Canadian Leica RF camera.
Even more, I want made in Canada watches, to wear it at the same time I'll use Canadian camera.
It will not increase my libido, might not make my pictures better, but it will be nice.
O, Yes, Baby!

Its a fetish, if you have no rational reason to own Leica gear... So, as Yoda said:

"“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”

– Yoda

“You will know (the good from the bad) when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”

– Yoda

For a long time, I aspired to become a Leica M system owner, but mainly because of the bayonet lens mount system. The lenses and bodies however are expensive, so that tempered my enthusiasm.

I'm now into the Nikon rangefinder system. Much more reasonably priced, and not as gimmicky as the Leica M's.

PF

Could be just an interest in things mechanical. From wind up clocks to old cars before all the onboard computers to.......well anything that uses gears and levers and springs and such to accomplish it's function. I would want to have the new Leica MA more than the latest digital offering for that reason.

I think it depends on how you approach Leica gear. If you buy it because it's expensive and therefore the best and will make you a better photographer simply because of this, and you continue down this path, continuing to believe that the gear will make you and your photos great, then that is how I would interpret it as a fetish.

If you approach Leica gear as providing a specific set of tools that are right for your needs, your style of working, then I feel it is logical. IMO, the experience of using gear is as important as the technical features it offers. It's an intangible that I believe Leica does very well, but is definitely a very subjective thing. There are cameras I consider ergonomically poor, yet are extremely popular (Sony a7 series). Conversely others hate the RF approach, yet it works well for my needs.

Looking at Leica glass objectively, pretty much all of their lenses perform technically at a very high level, at or near the top of their class. Yes, it may be possible to find similar performance for less money in other systems, but constantly across other systems? Or providing the 'entire package' that works best for you? This is where subjective needs creep into the equation.

Without doubt 99.99% of excellent current photography is not done on Leica cameras for one reason or another. But I don't believe that is an argument against using Leica and liking what the company has to offer.

Oh well, who don't live off some little fetish nowadays. Nothing to be shame of. Nothing to be reckoned with. Just treat it like a distant friend...else you'd truly become its slave.

Back