Is the Leica obsession a fetish?

It can indeed become an obsession,

Ive found myself in the position you've described for many years now, lusting, looking, saving, paying.

None of it has really made me better at taking images, but a lot of it has given me materialistic joy. Ive had my experience with Leica, and ive found that the romance is starting to wear after a decade.

Maybe ive grown bitter from all the web time and fantasy, but I'm tired of the Leica stigma.

I'm moving on, more gear for you guys ;)

In African mythology (from where this word originates) fetish has no sexual context....as far as I know....but probably sexual desire is better than substituting it with acquiring material objects!

African mythology is not the first thing that comes to mind. In western culture at least the word fetish involves sexual desire.

African mythology is not the first thing that comes to mind. In western culture at least the word fetish involves sexual desire.

Maybe in the popular culture, but in academic writing it doesn't. A fetish is a belief occurring in primitive cultures of man-made objects having supernatural powers.

In this sense, the OP is correctly using it as a metaphor for the seeming supernatural draw of Leica products

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe in the popular culture, but in academic writing it doesn't. A fetish is a belief occurring in primitive cultures of man-made objects having supernatural powers.

In this sense, the OP is correctly using it as a metaphor for the seeming supernatural draw of Leica products

I realise RFF/photographers can be a bit dense at times but they hardly can be classed as "primitive culture".... In 21 century America (where the OP made the observation) the term involves sexual desire.

I realise RFF/photographers can be a bit dense at times but they hardly can be classed as "primitive culture".... In 21 century America (where the OP made the observation) the term involves sexual desire.

I didn't know the internet and America were synonymous.

HNY everyone

Over the course of 2015 I acquired a couple of Leica lenses and an M3, all of which I use and enjoy. Yet since obtaining these tools, I've also developed a strange obsession with other lenses, bodies, etc. The 28mm summicron ASPH, the noctilux, the M-240, etc. Although an objectively low-earning type, I could probably afford buy an M6 and a 35mm lens, or whatever, which I would also use and enjoy. But my real question is whether or not the fixation on Leica merch and glass, tools if you will, is a fetish.

Does anybody else spend large amounts of time looking at pictures of cameras and lenses that they'll probably never buy, even if they could? Is it a fetish? When I was a mechanic, I remember snap-on tools had a huge pull, but for whatever reason, maybe the marketing/ad dept, they never captivated my desire and imagination to such a profound level.

While I must say these tools have fostered a newfound interest (and ability to pursue) in composition, the darkroom, B+W photography, and I have educated myself the best I know how, something about the desire for more gear and the fascination with expensive glass feels oddly perverse. Sometimes you're up at four AM and reading Overgaard or looking at the classifieds here and it just feels a little off.

In any case RFF is great and it's always good to see everybody's pics, and everyone on here has been extremely generous with feedback and help whenever I've had a question.

Godspeed

Don't worry you'll either (a) acquire the new equipment or (b) move on to something else. Though I've been at this for a number of years and bought a Leica IIIf (LTM mount) right away, I have yet to acquire a Leica M. At first I thought I would, but despite a lot of looking I've not done it, at least not yet. It's partly out of loyalty to Oscar Barnack's purist vision :D, partly because it costs too much money to buy a M camera and to have it repaired constantly :eek: and partly because there seems to be some commodity fetishism :p around the Leica brand that I would rather not participate in.

Now I seem to have moved on to the possibility of moving to a medium format camera, which I think would actually be a more dramatic improvement in results with film or even simply leap frog to a large format - and when I get tired of looking at those options I have recently developed an interest in old aircraft. How about a 1944 C47 transport on sale for 250.000 US? Too bad I can't work on the engines.

Back in the film days, when I began with the M7, I used to buy Japanese publications — can't remember what they were called.... "Mooks?" Something like that. Magazine/book. They had lots of lovely pictures of Leica products — historical stuff. Plus some sample imagery and a photographer profile maybe. The gear is beautiful. As a designer, I respect and admire the industrial design. And got caught up in the legacies. Kind of a fetish. Digital essentially erased all of that appeal, though.

When I was a kid, we would spend hours pouring over the tools in the Sears catalog; we couldn't afford most of them, but it was fun to look at them and dream.

We didn't consider it an obsession nor a fetish. We didn't think there was anything wrong with it. And there wasn't.

Seriously folks, get over yourselves. It's just stuff. Obsess away, who freaking cares? All this naval gazing has me thinking RFF has turned into an Emo crying pit.

Well you learn something new every day... Its mainly USA and western Europe. Certainly not a primitive african culture!

I don't get your argument. Primitive african cultures don't use the term 'fetish.' We use the term to describe their religious beliefs which fits perfectly with how the OP is using it as a metaphor for his Leica lust.

Even in the USA, words have more than one meaning and the OP means 'fetish' in that (non-sexual, academic) sense. Why do you have such a problem with that?

Back