Is the M6 the most handsome camera?

Black M6 with black lens...just out of sight, great. On the other hand: How about a chrome panda M6 with a chrome lens & black lens hood?

Any Nikon that Jonmanjiro posts a pic of gets my blood pumping ... those black SP's in particular are damned sexy things! :eek:

As for Leicas I have to agree with someone previously that the IIIf is the pic of the flock! :)

M6 gets my nod as best user (many disagree, YMMV) but visually vulcanite makes a difference, and that's what I think you're asking about, so - my vote: M4. BTW, I prefer (for this purpose) silver chrome to BP or BC.

This website seems to think so and I had to laugh when the guy said if its build quality had been better it would have been as good as an OM1! What a dick - even if he is only joking!

Well everyone can have an opinion. And yours is wrong :D
Besides the OM1 can serve dual purpose as a hammer to break small rocks, walnut shells or heads, particularly with a 135 mounted on it (you think I'm joking...) With the M6 you'll just knock your rangefinder out of alignment and create a ding that will take around $200 off the resale value because it is now a gently used user :p

M6- a good looker

M6- a good looker

This website seems to think so and I had to laugh when the guy said if its build quality had been better it would have been as good as an OM1! What a dick - even if he is only joking!

I would say, without any fears of reprisal, yes the M6 is indeed a very handsome camera. One of those designs that needs nothing added or taken away. To clarify the point further, it has to be an M6 Classic and it has to be in chrome. I don't like black cameras anyway. They always look as though one is pretending to be a pro.

And, interestingly, yes I had an OM2n a long time ago. This too was a very beautifully styled camera, in fact it won a place in the London Design Centre

In my opinion, the M2 would be the most handsome M if it weren't for the vertical lines I've marked in the picture. I just can't stand them and I don't know why! (I have an M2 myself by the way). And as Pablito said, the frames around the finder window of the M3 aren't attractive either. But the MP... oh the MP is just perfect.

m2.jpg

i call those "fangs". :D

oh, the mods i would make on leicas if i had the machining skills...

anyhow, the most handsome camera is the nikon f.

the m6 gets my vote, although the nikon s2 and s3 comes very close. anyone want to lend me an mp so i can compare.

the brassed look of a black paint m4 does get my heart racing...then sinks it with the price tag!

I have a hard time to choose the order in the following series: Contax IIa, Leica IIIf ST, Leica M3, M2, M4, Nikon S2, Canon P.... And then, my ugly duckling M5 is still underway...;)

Tough call...I'd bet on M3 - in particular due to so smooth mechanics (after has been treated by Youxin in the past), but also really like those raised viewfinder edges, wish they would be on my M6 and also the easier focusing due to Me's natural magnification....
Having said that, M6 is not far behind, in particular considering one nearly fixed 35mm lens one as I do...

I was going to say the ZI Contessa 35, but that's too pretty to count.

An M3 is far more handsome that an M6, but a button-rewind M2 might just beat 'em all.

(And an Olympus is nothing compared to a Nikkormat when it comes to cracking nuts, rocks, or skulls :D)

Last edited:
Back