Is there any interest in a Yashica Lynx/Electro forum?

Fedzilla_Bob

man with cat
Local time
10:29 PM
I have noticed that a few members of the Russian Rangefinder forum have Lynx and electro cameras.

I suspect a larger group also uses them. I am interested in the experiences and photos with/from that family of cameras.

Any one else?

Or, is it a matter of staying quiet in order to avoid the inevitable inflation associated with the popularity of a brand.

There is a huge amount of info on the net about these cameras, and several good sources of info on repairs etc, but it might be nice to have somewhere to compare notes.

I'm presently refurbing a GSN (pad of death), have a GTN lost in the post and a Professional en route courtesy of the USPS, oh and a Lynx 5000e that works nicely!

Let's hope there are some others who would be interested.

Many have them but there is not that much posting about them...
Maybe put something in the repair section with links to the sites
that have the user manual and the repair sites that cover the
rangefinder cleaning, seal replacement, battery issues and pad of death?

Sure. I'd be interested. I have an Electro 35 GSN in near new condition. The Yashinon lens is exceptional.

Ted

Well, how do we get this party started? I have a nice GSN that I am about to replace the light seals for. And, my dysfunctional lot includes two vanilla electro 35's and one GT. So I need all the info I can get. I have gathered tons of links on the topic of yashica electro 35 doctoring. As I am sure many of you have. This might be the best place to have all of that information shared.

Who do we work with to open a new forum?

I don't own one yet, but I've been very interested in GSN/GTN's for some time. So such a forum group would certainly get my (newbie) vote!

kai said:
I don't own one yet, but I've been very interested in GSN/GTN's for some time. So such a forum group would certainly get my (newbie) vote!

I've seen your Web Page before, it's a nice and well done one.
I own one of those Leneingrad 6 meters, and your page was one of the few I found with some info about it.
Is good to see people like you arround.

Welcome to the forum.

Pablo

Hi Pablo,
Thank you for your very kind comments! Glad that you enjoyed the site :) My Leningrad 6 seems pretty good, I just wish it was the size of the Sverdlovsk 4 so I could give up baggy trousers with big pockets!
Cheers,
Kai

I guess with my name it would only be fitting to vote "yes"

Bob: Get on the web and type in Yashica_Guy. You can your light seal kit there, I believe, for about six bucks. Or go to Interslice, same cost I think. That guys name is Jon Goodman (maybe Yashica_Guy is Jon Goodman?).

Anyway, I got a kit. It's huge. I did my GSN, two Spotmatics, and an Olympus XA, and I've still got half a kit left!

Ted

tedwhite said:
Anyway, I got a kit. It's huge. I did my GSN, two Spotmatics, and an Olympus XA, and I've still got half a kit left!

Ted

Thanks Ted, great tip on the Light seal foam. I bought my Battery adapter from Yashica-guy and have had a little correspondence with him about my trashed GT (I have a picture of that train wreck in the "show us your camera thread") He is a very nice guy. He has been around for quite a while. His name is Joe Wolff. Apparently he worked in the movie industry years ago.

I have seen Goodman's kits too. I might get one of those. I had already bought some "Foamies" in a 6 foot roll with double stick self adhesive and was considered using that. I will make up my mind on that this week.

Ihave a few bookmarks regarding the Yashica Electros including Yashica-Guy, Matt's Camera's and Photoethnograpy.com. All are fun stuff.

Yes! I have a GSN that I'm having trouble with. It works great but for some reason, the shutter button sometimes sticks (I have to press really hard or wiggle it slightly). Mark Hama time?

Oops. Obviously I confused John Goodman with Joe Wolff.

Mea culpa.

(my only excuse, aside from early-onset-senility-syndrome, is that I bought the GSN last summer and, well, it's been awhile...)

emaquiling said:
Yes! I have a GSN that I'm having trouble with. It works great but for some reason, the shutter button sometimes sticks (I have to press really hard or wiggle it slightly). Mark Hama time?

Somehow when I read this I saw a small pun "Hama time." I will leave it at that.

Maybe time for Mark Hama. Try writing Yashica-Guy first. You might get good advice there -- [email protected]. He does respond. The job might be something that you could do yourself.

I hear that Mark Hama gets requests from far and wide and has been known to get backlogged. However, I have also heard that when he gets it done, it is done very well.

Thanks for all the advice. I think the problem started when I *TRIED* to open the top to fix my cracked glass. Perhaps I didn't put it back right or I just need to play with it again. The exposures are right on though. Yes, I did hear that sometimes, Mark Hama gets a lot of stuff. I'll try yashica-guy too and see what if has to say.

I hope the Yashica forum starts! I 2 rangefinders I have are the GSN and the lowly Oly XA

emaquiling said:
I hope the Yashica forum starts! I 2 rangefinders I have are the GSN and the lowly Oly XA

Lowly Oly XA. Nah not lowly. I used to take mine skiing. Only problem was that it lived in my parka during a run. I had to wait while the lens cleared after it came out of the parka. The aperture finally jammed. Probably due to humidity from my body.

A fun camera with a nice lens. I have a chrome somewhere of the "Sangra de Christo" at Taos, New Mexico. It was a gorgeous magenta sky and mountain. People thought I used a filter. They didn't belive it when I told them it was my XA. I haven't heard of fitting a filter on one of those.

Once I have a film scanner I will post it... If I can find the slide. (rummages through drawer)

Last edited:
Back