Is there really not a thread yet about the Fuji gfx 50r?

nightfly

Well-known
Local time
6:22 AM
This camera looks insane.

Same sensor as all the other digital medium format cameras have but in a nice light body with rangefinder styling.

Will wait to see what reviews are like but I'm pretty much ready for them to take my money. I've been drooling over the Hassy X1d for awhile but the price point is a little rich and the other Fuji just felt like it wasn't really what I was looking for but his one nails it.

I was reading about this camera. It is the only block that has any appeal to me (outside a Digi M) that I have seen in the past few years. I would gladly hand over the 4500 for this Fuji. I am now convinced Canikon has most definitely fumbled the ball.

Marginally larger sensor than FF DSLRs. Didn't like the EVF on the older GFX. Big honkin' 63mm f/2.8 standard lens that isn't even that fast or interesting. Just not seeing the appeal, except perhaps if you really, really need that MF digital studio camera on a bellows using movements and such like on a technical camera, which the mirrorless does well. Maybe if it was, like, $1999, but even at the $4500 price-point it's competing with some awfully good cameras and full-featured lens lineups, not to mention new FF mirrorless options.

The old (circa 2014) Sony IMX161 sensor is seriously holding everything else back. Per people's comment: "it looks like a XE-1 and focuses like one", while other, smaller and newer Fuji cameras are attaining blazing speed. It is very likely that the all-new GFX100S, being loaded with the fresh from the oven IMX461, will outperform its smaller brethren. An odd sight it would be though.

Still, the next generation could be nice. It would be quite feasible to see a successor in 2022 that boasts 2018 smaller-format performance. Into that I would buy...

Come on boys this camera is dripping form factor. And it is bigger which means the bazooka glass fits true to form. Bigger than FF. It has soul unlike some recent no mirror offerings. My opinion.

I got an 80mm 1.9 on my Mamiya 645ProTL. Which has a bigger sensor than this Fuji.

Well, you`d have admit that it is not the norm in MF no? 2.8 is considered a normal fast lens in MF. Anything faster is exotic no?

looks like a reasonable size, if on the chunky side. i'm not digging the design of the bumpy corner with the AF-assist/self-timer light. not very elegant, but i guess that's beside the point.

Fujifilm_GFX_50R_Fujica_GW690.jpeg

It's the same sensor as the Hassy X-1D in a less elegant but still pretty nice body with a decent selection of lenses.

I dunno, to me it's the digital Mamiya 7 (I know it's much smaller than 6 x 7 film). A great complement to a Leica or a GR for when you want serious image quality for big prints or just the look of lots of big pixels.

How fast do you expect MF lenses to be?

Well, it might be "MF" in the digital world, but it's most certainly not "MF" in the traditional 56 x whatever form. So, since the sensor isn't really that much bigger, I think f/2 would be more in line with the camera. But, truthfully, the lens already looks humongous.

The Fuji 6x9 cameras had a 105mm f/3.5, and this sensor is almost half the size of a 6x9 frame! The Pentax 6x7, with film 50% larger, has a 105mm f/2.4!

I just don't quite get it, other than the progression of "my sensor is bigger than your sensor" kinda one-upmanship common these days. I mean, if it was a black box and a control system to shoot attached to a technical camera, I get it, but the form-factor is meant to shoot out-and-about. You'll have to push the ISO to 4x to get the same amount of light compared to a f/1.4 lens on FF. And I doubt there will be significant differences in the image compared to a high-resolution DSLR FF camera with a good, fast lens, at 2 stops lower ISO or 4x shutter speed.

Would love to hear more about this as there isn't much on the internet besides the original announcement and accompanying propaganda. A first hand impression would be much appreciated.

Love the handling of the GFX50R.. Played with it for quite a while at photoplus expo. Very impressive.

I have one on order. Will post when I get it. Deliveries are due in Ireland end November. I'm sure the IQ will be no different to my 50S, which is to say, superb. But I am interested in the ergonomics.. The real deficiency in the 50S is the exposure compensation arrangement - which is not great at all. But its the only flaw in an otherwise superb camera.

Back