Is there really not a thread yet about the Fuji gfx 50r?

i make no sense with this new camera...it looks like a big xe3 but i love the xe3 because of it's (small) size...caught myself figuring what i might sell of my current fuji gear to get this new r...just f'ing nuts...

De-focused areas seem untidy

De-focused areas seem untidy

REF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikereidphotography/46548405954/in/feed

I happen to see this in Flickr and I'm a little puzzled by the defocused area.

If you follow these steps, you will see what I'm referring to:
  • Click on the image
  • click on EXPAND icon on top right hand corner
  • hover over the expanded image and click on it to expand to its max

Now, examine the defocused areas. You will see the messy bokeh, dots and untidy pixels.

The image seems to be uploaded at a pretty large size. Resolution of the focused elephant looked great. It's bright sunshine so the issue with the defocused area is certainly not noise.

Something is weird with this sensor. I'm not sold.

The sensor may be "just a little bigger than FF", but it has a 4:3 ratio. I think this is quite a significant difference.
If one prefers this image ratio or intends on cropping to 7:6 or 1:1, is less of a loss than with FF, and the initial image composition is likely better suited for a final 7:6 ratio.

This may or may not matter. If one intends to continue working with a digital camera coming from MF film, it may.

• Click on the image

Now, examine the defocused areas. You will see the messy bokeh, dots and untidy pixels.

The image seems to be uploaded at a pretty large size. Resolution of the focused elephant looked great. It's bright sunshine so the issue with the defocused area is certainly not noise.

Flickr does some weird things to photos. I have images which look perfect on my machine and printed, but on flickr they look 'rough' if that makes sense.

• Click on the image

I followed the steps. So what you're saying is that there's a big elephant in the room... I mean in the image? :D

I think if you look at an image directlyfrom the camera and unmolested by Flickr's upload algorithms, you'll be pleasantly surprised. They really are beautiful and get better the more you zoom in. I'm sure you can find some sample images on the web that are minimally compressed.

It's a big camera for sure, but the images are pretty amazing. The Hassy is a little smaller and more beautifully designed, but I've been told that the usability isn't what it should be with regards to speed. Also with Fuji's lens deals, a Hassy with a lens is almost twice the price for virtually the same output.

Thus far I'm pretty pleased.

No doubt it’s a great camera, but size vs. image quality is something we all wrestle with and we either commit or compromise. RFF is full of those who have compromised and use smaller format cameras due to size. To me, I cannot compromise... I can’t give up fast autofocus for better IQ.

For me the more valid and apt size comparison is a Mamiya 7. And it feels about the same size. Coming from mostly manual focus cameras, the auto focus speed isn't an issue for me. Bought it, ironically, for travel, so we'll see how it does on upcoming trip to Japan paired with a GR. In the past my biggest regret with travel cameras is not getting the large and airy images that medium format give you with the potential for very big prints. Hoping this fills the gap.

Next model Peter. As for comparing it to the mamiya 7, sure that makes sense. And it works for more traditional medium format photography as well. It just isn’t fast ... yet.

For me the biggest issue is that the grip is too shallow and no on makes one of those grip extenders, yet. I wish it had a grip more like the X-1D.

Back