Is There Really Such a Thing as a Pocketable Camera?

ended up searching for down-jacket lightweight for carrying larger cameras, Bauer CirrusLite works now for me.

my 2 Q's are pocketable now. i wrap w/amazon bubble envelope to ease the edges when walking/hiking (only 1 at a time, one in each pocket
would be too much in this light of a coat).

Last edited:
ended up searching for down-jacket lightweight for carrying larger cameras, Bauer CirrusLite works now for me.

my 2 Q's are pocketable now. i wrap w/amazon bubble envelope to ease the edges when walking/hiking (only 1 at a time, one in each pocket
would be too much in this light of a coat).

That's one solution and a great one: bigger pockets.

thks boojum yes it has inside larger pockets for added padding, and outside bigger zipper pockets for camera, putting weight on opposite pocket balances.
if flyfishing, can put fly box in left, camera in right. plus inner open pockets for padding/fly leaders, good jacket but light.

thks boojum yes it has inside larger pockets for added padding, and outside bigger zipper pockets for camera, putting weight on opposite pocket balances.
if flyfishing, can put fly box in left, camera in right. plus inner open pockets for padding/fly leaders, good jacket but light.
Dear Wenge,

Flyfishing? Now we are talking! :)

It's a dual hobby/passion for me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

I've used a variety of smaller cameras. The XA and the Mju were ok. I've owned many, gotten good results, but hated everything about the Rollei 35 (except lens quality!). I don't wear pants with cargo pockets.
These have been my favourite pocketable cameras: Leica lll w 35mm Elmar
unnamed.jpg
& to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee "That's not a camera. This is a camera"..... My favourite the 6x6. Voigtlander Perkeo ll
barely bigger than an iPhone
IMG_1118.JPG

I found that wearing a Think Tank Skin Body Bag, directly on my trousers’ belt, serves as a most excellent “pocket” for an SLR with a “pancake” lens. (I seem to remember that the OP specifically mentioned an SLR with a pancake lens, or something to that effect.) This bag/pouch, itself, was designed to carry a pro SLR body, presumably with a body cap affixed, but there is room for a Canon 40mm STM, a Voigtlander 40mm SLR-mount lens, or a Nikkor 45mm f/2.8P to be mounted on the camera body. The “Skin” designation means no padding, so, very little bulk.

A belt pouch, for a camera or other substantial item, keeps my trousers’ pockets free for other items, and a proper belt keeps the weight on my hips. I do not like loading much weight or bulk into trousers’ pockets, anyway, even if they are “cargo pants.”

Not being able to edit my above post, I am adding this second post to clarify that I mentioned the Think Tank Skin Body Bag conceptually, rather than specifically. For rangefinder cameras, there are smaller products that would serve an equivalent purpose. I have no affiliation with Think Tank, other than being a paying customer.

I learned to carry weight, on my hips, with a substantial belt, while working as a police officer, with much of my career being in the age of more steel in the duty hardware, and portable radios of greater weight and bulk than those used today.

The best place for a pocket camera is in a coat/jacket inside chest pocket.
For this reason a truly pocketable camera must be lightweight as well.

In summer or hot climates - when coats are not appropriate - all bets are off.

Chris

The best place for a pocket camera is in a coat/jacket inside chest pocket.
For this reason a truly pocketable camera must be lightweight as well.

In summer or hot climates - when coats are not appropriate - all bets are off.

Chris

I agree with Chris, I would never put a camera in a back pocket. After having had two expensive "pocket" cameras fail, I now prefer a lightweight, scale focus camera that does not hurt my wallet too much if it needs replacing. For now this is my favourite, the Cosina CX-1 as it was sold in Europe.

CX-1.jpg

Nothing beats hers.
53500762917_d597b16dce_o.jpg

Leica M9/Summaron 3.5.

"There are virtually NO truly pocketable cameras -- other than your cell phone..."

5 years since the original post, and phone cameras have come far enough for me to change the OPs original statement to “your phone is an excellent pocketable camera”.

Back