Is There Really Such a Thing as a Pocketable Camera?

About 10 years ago, I went thru 3 XA cameras before I gave up on them. I will never buy another. Great Idea, but little/ no reliability.

About 10 years ago, I went thru 3 XA cameras before I gave up on them. I will never buy another. Great Idea, but little/ no reliability.

I collect and use many small pocketable 35mm cameras from various manufacturers.
Olympus XA series cameras are at least as reliable as other similar models.

Today all of the cameras of this type are 30 years of age or older.
Like any camera of such vintage full service is recommended if you wish it to be a reliable shooter.

Plastic capsule cameras don't seal perfectly and so are prone to dust (and pocket lint) infiltration.
Since I started using soft pouch cases with mine I have far fewer problems with them.

Chris

In film I have found the XA 3 a good camera, the old Canon Demi, a half-frame, is a good camera with a great lens. Digital, I like the Pentax Q-S1. To make it really sleek put the lens in one pocket and the camera in another. This camera punches well above its weight in color and definition.

IMGP1196.JPG

The Fujica is beautiful!
It's very nice! Even has a little brassing, seems to be very well constructed. Working light meter too. To operate it you point the needle at the correct "jewel" for the film speed, and then slide the chrome aperture lever around the lens until the light meter needle matches the film speed needle.

20230901_230016.jpg

Ah, pictures of pocketable cameras .... Here are four cameras, concentrating on 35mm full frame:

230901-9526.jpg

Of these, the Minox 35GT-E is the smallest, slimmest (about 1.25 inch when folded), and lightest at 7.2 oz.

Then I look at the Minox 35GT-E against a few other Minox 8x11 cameras:

230901-9527.jpg

That's the 35GT-E, the EC, the IIIS, the B, and the C from top to bottom. Of these, the lightest by far is the Minox EC ... in the slip case, with battery and film, it is just barely 2 oz and is like to a pack of chewing gum in size.

230901-9528.jpg

Of course, because it has a fixed focus 15mm f/5.6 lens (sharpness from about 3.5 feet to infinity on this format), you often do need a flash unit. The Minox EC Flash is similarly very small: fitted with the Minox EC itself into their pocket sized carry case, this is a kit that's about 3x3x1 inch in size and weighs, with batteries and film, less than 5 oz.

I've been using all of these cameras literally for decades and they can all make some lovely photos. The Minox EC with just its slip case is so small and light, I've often forgotten I had it with me at all ... had to fish it out of my trousers pocket where it was hidden beneath my keys and other junk. ;)

Just talking about cameras is a little less then satisfying, so here are some photos made with (or about) Minox cameras scattered around on my flickr photo libraries.

I have thousands more... LOL!

G

Lots of nice photos in your library - you are a good ambassador for these pocketable cameras.
Thank you, Pál! :D

I have about 10 shots to go on a roll of film in the Minox 35GT-E ... Seems to take forever to use up a roll of film nowadays ... if it's not Polaroid! LOL!

G

Here's some pocketable cameras from my collection: The big ones must be pocketable, it says so in the name!

L-R Hanimex 110 clip-on, smaller than a 110 cartridge. Sunpet 110 keyring camera, about 5mm longer than a 110 cartridge. Oly XA. Vest Pocket Kodak. No2 Folding Pocket Brownie. No3 Folding Pocket Brownie. Case for No3A Folding Pocket Brownie. Scalewise, the No2 Brownie is approx 6 3/4" long.

Attachments

• Pocketses.jpg
    Pocketses.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 14
Petri Color 35 -- the poor man's Rollei
I would give this and the Olympus 35RC, the "Poor Man's Rollei 35 with more useful features". With quotes to our Head Bartender. I have owned the Oly, but not the Petri atypical camera. But would cherish owning one. The Oly RC, went with me on many street photography Photo Rolls in my wheelchair, and even on Catalyst Sports Adaptive eBike Rides on greenways! My Oly RC needs light seals, and some black paint to work 100%. Both of these cameras, and the Rollei, and my Retina 1b, and Canon L1 with 50mm/f2.8 Canon go in my wheelchair bag along with my Luna ProF light meter. "The Adaptable Barnack like cameras" All have manual exposure to boot. No automation for Cerebral Palsy Warrior to outwit and to fool.

I have an old Olympus XA3 which is a pretty good camera, fits easily in the pocket and takes good pictures. It is also a great design and IIRC won design awards. Downside: film. And the A1L flash battery is dead.

I have a Lumix L100, I've carried it in even the inside pocket of a sports coat as well as jacket pockets. That said, it might fit but would be awkward in a shirt pocket.

I have a Lumix L100, I've carried it in even the inside pocket of a sports coat as well as jacket pockets. That said, it might fit but would be awkward in a shirt pocket.
I started thinking about the LX100II, but I'm a little late it seems. They appear to be discontinued and hard to find.

Back