Is There Really Such a Thing as a Pocketable Camera?

The current manufacturers need to revisit this genre. We need cooler pocket cameras for those of us that like ergonomics (and don't want to use a phone). The GR III is great, but it is 28mm only. The Sony RX100 series is just not fun to use due to it feeling like a TV remote. Most other 1" sensor compacts are worse than the Sony in most other ways. It will be cool to see if anyone steps up in the coming years.

Ricoh GRIII is pretty tiny with an APS-C sensor. It is basically the same size as the cell phone sized sensor GRD series. Slightly longer but not as tall as an Olympus XA3. The Ricoh is hiding behind the Olympus in the first shot.

Shawn

Oh, I know. I have one (and an XA2). But I want something closer to 40-45mm in my next pocket camera.

I think I'd like a digital camera in a size and shape similar to the Minox B. That would be a pocketable digital! No place for an LCD screen of course, so no chimping! But I think it would be fun.

I think I'd like a digital camera in a size and shape similar to the Minox B. That would be a pocketable digital! No place for an LCD screen of course, so no chimping! But I think it would be fun.

Although I've carried my XA2 and GR-1 in my ordinary front shirt pocket, I think this digital camera is a winner:

IMG_2264.jpeg

I still have Sony RX100 v2 and keep it in the car at all times the past 10+ years. The battery never dies in-camera, it goes in a coat pocket or cargo pants, takes exc photos. The thing I still can't believe is the original 2013 battery stays fully charged in winter in the car down to 10F-30F for months.

I have several Minox 8x11 cameras which are quite ergonomic to hold and use and fit easily into a small pocket. The Minox 35-GTE and Rollei 35S do similarly, given a slightly larger pocket space. I like and use all of these because they all have good lenses, manual focus, and are easy to use as well as carry. I've often carried one of them as my only camera on trips. All of these cameras have nicely minimal controls because they don't need any other controls.

With respect to digital cameras, well, I've not used the Ricoh or other ultra-small cameras much... I find their necessary controls a bit small and fiddly in my hands. A body about the size of a Leica M works better for me, with buttons and such that i don't fumble finger so readily. The Light L16 is great for this because the body is about M-size and that includes a 28-150 mm range lens capability, and up to 50+ MPixel output. And of course the M itself is excellent on size, weight, and ergo, and you have your choice as to which lenses suit you best with it.

A smartphone can work very well indeed, despite its shortcomings in ergonomics:

Lancia Fulvia at the Cafe - Mountain View 2023
iPhone 11 Pro + Moment camera
ISO 20 @ f/2 @ 1/640 @ 6mm
Raw capture processed in LR Classic
..And it fits handily in a pocket.

Whatever works for you is all that matters. :) The true discriminator is that you have something that you will carry and that enables you to make photographs that satisfy you.

G

Agree with Godfrey......smartphones are capable but ergonomics....i'm too old. So I will give a shout out to the Olympus TG-5 or 6. Shockproof, weather and water proof, built in macro light, zoom, 15MP and RAW (if you care).

And...very small and easy to carry.

The thing I still can't believe is the original 2013 battery stays fully charged in winter in the car down to 10F-30F for months.
Low temperatures mean less chemical activity, so battery life is longer.

That's also why it's harder to start a car in very low temperatures - the energy is lower, plus the thicker oil in a car that's been sitting overnight

Last edited:
I still have Sony RX100 v2 and keep it in the car at all times the past 10+ years. The battery never dies in-camera, it goes in a coat pocket or cargo pants, takes exc photos. The thing I still can't believe is the original 2013 battery stays fully charged in winter in the car down to 10F-30F for months.
Something to be aware of: A short while ago, I researched whether it would be desirable to freeze Lithium rechargeables in order to keep them fully charged and to prolong their lives. Contrary to my expectations, I learned that freezing is strongly discouraged, as it can inhibit the batteries' ability to accept a new charge. If you've had no problems, great! But I would be cautious...

Funny that this thread is still around, I found an Oly XA on a tat stand on Friday. The box has lost its insert and the flash is kaput - the little perspex block stays up all the time, and the flash... well, doesn't, but the camera itself seems to work as it should. I hope so as I've loaded it!

What's rather freaky is there was an address label inside... and SWMBO's Mum used to buy goods from the person named's business back in the 1990s!

Depends on the pocket. My 111a with collapsed Summar or 35 3.5 Elmar will fit easily in a jacket or vest pocket and would probably go in a rear pocket of a pair of jeans. I don't see the point of doing either - too hard to get the camera out when you see something to use it on. I agree with the OP, put a strap on it, sling it around your neck, over your shoulder, or wrap it around your wrist and head out. If you want the ultimate in geekdom, get a fanny pack.
I keep my Canon L1, Canon 50mm/f2.8, and Luna-Pro F in my bag. Slung round my neck.

I have a nice little Konica AA35 half-frame that I really like; my father originally bought it for my grandmother to use on vacations. For full-frame my XAs and Retina folders are the closest.

But I don't really keep cameras in my pants pockets because it's uncomfortable. For small cameras I use belt cases or a small bag. In the winter I can fit lots of possibilities in jacket pockets, usually a couple small primes.

I always use a neck/shoulder strap or a wrist strap. Both because I'm clumsy and because I like to keep my hands free. I don't mind looking like that guy who always has a camera, because I'm that guy who always has a camera. :)
Retina 1a, and 1b scale focus cameras are great pocketable street shooters. Load them up with ISO 400 film, and Sunny 16 your way to fun!

Back