Is your latest camera strictly necessary?

I like getting used gear as it helps to not baby gear. Use it to your heart's content. Necessary is the camera you're using at hand! You only live once so love what you use

Currently loving using my Ricoh gx200

So I guess the question is 1) are you replacing a broken camera, 2) are you doing something photographically that you couldn't do with your other camera(s), and if so what, 3) do you just like buying new cameras, or 4) something else?

So I guess the question is 1) are you replacing a broken camera, 2) are you doing something photographically that you couldn't do with your other camera(s), and if so what, 3) do you just like buying new cameras, or 4) something else?
Firstly, I think it's the questions are, not the question is.

Secondly, for me it's number 4) something else.

All the best,
Mike

my last camera bought is a black chrome M4 and no, it wasn't necessary.
I already own an MP, a M3, a M10R.
there was no reason to have a fourth body. Totally redundant.
But vastly satisfying.

None of my cameras are necessarily but I love playing with them. It’s a hobby for me and something I unwind to. I can shoot pretty much every combo of a photo with my phone be it wide or tele. But the enjoyment of the picture taking comes from using the rangefinders, for me!

One quality 35mm camera with interchangeable lenses and one 4x5 camera with a few movements are sufficient for all of my photography.
But chasing the ultimate has resulted in over a hundred (more or less).

Okay ... Addressing the question "Is your latest camera strictly necessary?" an update...

I bought a MiNT InstantFlex TL70 Plus. One look and I knew I had to have it:

InstantFlex TL70+ by MiNT.jpg

Yes: a instant film TLR with square format. What lover of Rolleiflexes and other TLRs can resist such a thing? I have plenty of other instant film cameras, but nothing remotely like this.

It sees differently than my other instant film cameras, and therein lies the magic. :D

Tree in Plaza - Cupertino 2023
InstantFlex TL70 Plus, ND2 filter
f/5.6 @ 1/60 (guessed exposure for shadows)

G

Okay ... Addressing the question "Is your latest camera strictly necessary?" an update...

I bought a MiNT InstantFlex TL70 Plus. One look and I knew I had to have it:

View attachment 4822862

Yes: a instant film TLR with square format. What lover of Rolleiflexes and other TLRs can resist such a thing? I have plenty of other instant film cameras, but nothing remotely like this.

It sees differently than my other instant film cameras, and therein lies the magic. :D

Tree in Plaza - Cupertino 2023
InstantFlex TL70 Plus, ND2 filter
f/5.6 @ 1/60 (guessed exposure for shadows)

G
Did you go to the MINT store? An interesting place & locale.

Did you go to the MINT store? An interesting place & locale.
You mean the MiNT brick and mortar store? No... I was only ever in Hong Kong once, about thirty years ago.
I'd love to visit again, however, and will visit there if I ever do.

I've been doing business with MiNT for about 11 years now, all via email and web.

G

I recently purchased two cameras. Recent was M 240 and the one before that was a Hexar RF. Sold off the Fuji and M6 and figured an auto AE M mount film camera and matching M mount digital should be about what I need.

The last camera I bought was a used FUJI XT-1 in 2016. People were selling used ones cheap since everyone had to have the new XT-2. I really didn't need that XT-1 since I already had an XPro-1. Those are my two main cameras I use today.

Back