istanbul dissection II

SimonSawSunlight

Simon Fabel
Local time
9:34 PM
...some pictures may need context, or maybe they don't. if they do, feel free to ask.

http://simonsawstreet.blogspot.de/2014/06/istanbul-dissection-ii.html

8854909444_a028e3290f_z.jpg

14313591732_dde63dc101_z.jpg

8854508491_80d3565ba0_z.jpg

8902750236_6f963e480f_z.jpg

8855559208_5bdab9b676_z.jpg

8855785812_1b3a368f7a_z.jpg

8902751182_6065b2294a_z.jpg

14166981500_83756a725b_z.jpg

14301346234_5e616fbfa3_z.jpg

14158230597_df31118ea8_z.jpg

14128766768_46d3c333e0_z.jpg

14158230727_d52980e9d5_z.jpg

14128807640_1cb98fa42c_z.jpg

14167079297_8df0eeb823_z.jpg

14158067989_a7ca9fdaab_z.jpg

As they stand, these appear to be meaningless snapshots.

Perhaps adding captions to give them a context? For example, what are the signs held up by the man and the woman saying? Why is the pigeon tied up? Who are the people, in what appears to be a living room, and what are they discussing?

Thanks for sharing this series, Simon. There's (as always) an ever present mix of dynamic approaches dependant on the subject matter.

I've already seen and loved the final image on this page via your Flickr stream. Very admirable piece of reporting - it certainly provides a feeling of access to otherwise seemingly inaccessible situations to most.

Can't wait to see more.

As they stand, these appear to be meaningless snapshots.

Perhaps adding captions to give them a context? For example, what are the signs held up by the man and the woman saying? Why is the pigeon tied up? Who are the people, in what appears to be a living room, and what are they discussing?

Meaningless snapshots?

I think that is a poor & harsh turn of phrase. Ergo, all images without text that are candid are "meaningless snapshots"?

Not everyone needs to be spoon fed all of the answers all of the time. Indeed, some of use like a few questions. It makes us think a little more.

To SEE these scenes, to compose like you did and to snap in the perfect moment makes your pictures anything else than meaningless snapshots. The pictures start the imagination
machinery in my head and once again I´m stunned by your eye!
When I don´t understand why you took a special photo, I like to come back and look again until the mystery is solved.

I think sometimes the backstory of an image pops the magic bubble a good image exists in. These are really strong stand alone images Simon, really very good.

I think that is a poor & harsh turn of phrase. Ergo, all images without text that are candid are "meaningless snapshots"?

Not everyone needs to be spoon fed all of the answers all of the time. Indeed, some of use like a few questions. It makes us think a little more.

I like being spoonfed.

Great shots Simon, as usual I in a state of amazement with your eye for things out of the ordinary, and Istanbul brings it out even more. Keep it up.

Excellent. One of my all-time favorite series!

No context required, and any suggestion otherwise is ... meaningless!

I like the whole set, but especially the 2nd from the last. Is that the Bosphorus in the background, that separates Europe from Asia? Very compelling image, and well done.

~Joe

I like the whole set, but especially the 2nd from the last. Is that the Bosphorus in the background, that separates Europe from Asia? Very compelling image, and well done.

~Joe

thanks! yes, it is the black sea end of the bosphorus (europe to the left, asia to the right), with the construction site of the third bridge in the background, which is a really really stupid idea, as a lot of erdoğan's political "prestige" projects...

Sejanus actually did You a favour with his snarkiness
I quite like those 2 words for the 'Title'....... Meaningless Snapshots: Istanbul ( finish the Title how You deem Fit )
Their far from meaningless yet the simplicity and silliness of those two Words draws my Curiosity in

much prefer it to your Original title which I find too heady for my Taste .... just my 2 stinkin cents, and please don't let it ruffle your Feathers
Its just my POV... :)

As for the Photos,
I Adore shots 4 ,5, 8, 9, 14 .... Plays True to your Style & Form

Best Wishes- H

Sejanus actually did You a favour with his snarkiness
I quite like those 2 words for the 'Title'....... Meaningless Snapshots: Istanbul ( finish the Title how You deem Fit )
Their far from meaningless yet the simplicity and silliness of those two Words draws my Curiosity in

much prefer it to your Original title which I find too heady for my Taste .... just my 2 stinkin cents, and please don't let it ruffle your Feathers
Its just my POV... :)

As for the Photos,
I Adore shots 4 ,5, 8, 9, 14 .... Plays True to your Style & Form

Best Wishes- H

thank you very much helen, and no worries, my feathers are quite hard to ruffle as far as such things are concerned.
...and in a way, they all are "meaningless snapshots" and that's ok. :D

Some time ago I've made this picture of Anadolu-Kavagi. On your pictures I see that they are making a new bridge at the north end of the Bosporus.

Olympus Pen FT, Zuiko 40mm f/1.4, Tmax100.

Erik.

8665589761_8f27e72e64_c.jpg

Back