istanbul dissection II

they can also have an Edge of Sarcasm which can be mean spirited

Alas, I find myself cast, on occassion, as the little boy asking why the Emperor is naked or, perhaps, as the slave holding the laurels above the victor and whispering "Respice post te! Hominem te esse memento! Memento mori!".

I think it's a reaction to the ridiculous levels of hero worship sometimes found around here.

Some time ago I've made this picture of Anadolu-Kavagi. On your pictures I see that they are making a new bridge at the north end of the Bosporus.

Olympus Pen FT, Zuiko 40mm f/1.4, Tmax100.

Erik.

8665589761_8f27e72e64_c.jpg

yes, because they are idiots... that's a nice picture, i wish it would still look that way...

Like all things creative, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, I love the entire series, Simon. I like how you "see" things. And, like Sejanus, the questions provoke a longer look at the images to try and decipher my own take/story for the image. Well done!!

Every time I look at the boy climbing the metal railings (#7), it makes me wince.

My favourite? #13.

Thank you for sharing, Simon.

Beautiful images, well picked Simon. no explanations/captions needed. Good photos should stand on their own without words and all of these do.

Alas, I find myself cast, on occassion, as the little boy asking why the Emperor is naked or, perhaps, as the slave holding the laurels above the victor and whispering "Respice post te! Hominem te esse memento! Memento mori!".

I think it's a reaction to the ridiculous levels of hero worship sometimes found around here.

... the little boy didn't notice the heroic sartorial aspects of the Taksim square thing then?

:)

... the little boy didn't notice the heroic sartorial aspects of the Taksim square thing then?

... the little boy couldn't understand a thing about that particular fashion parade. Perhaps it's old age but I can no longer tell the good guys from the bad guys, even with a score card. :(

As they stand, these appear to be meaningless snapshots.

Perhaps adding captions to give them a context? For example, what are the signs held up by the man and the woman saying? Why is the pigeon tied up? Who are the people, in what appears to be a living room, and what are they discussing?

Here is the translations of the signs held up by the man and woman

They kill. Kids shouldn't go to buying bread.
Don't send your children to buy bread. They might get shot.

These are possibly taken on the anniversary of Elvin Berkan's killing by Turkish police on the way to a local shop to buy bread. The killing took place during the Gezi protests last year. He was only 14.

Really like #8. The separation of the man playing the instrument is well done considering how dark it appears. Wow the heat got turned up on this thread pretty quickly.

Simon, I've been looking through your portfolio and some of these photographs are very nice. I really hope you get to do more project based work in the future, I think the photos are so strong individually but perhaps they'd be even better if they were edited into distinct bodies of images as in a photo essay like your Istanbul protest work.

Look forward to seeing more!

Back