It's official; Film is Cool

"Vinyl Effect????" I thought that was playing those black disc thingies on the Victrola.

412028d2.jpg

I like the caption under the photo: "Shooting on a manual camera means you can't make a mistake".
The main thing is that film sales are up 8% which is a big surprise.

I don't believe film sales are up because it is 'different'. It would imagine a need to be better in some perceived form or fashion is required for growth. I see a lot of good film cameras and few holgas on the street.

8% sales increase for Harman (Ilford) is a good result. Now it would be interesting to compare to total film-sales worldwide in the last year.

Is that an RFF member shooting a Leica on the upper right side of the illustration? Or is that a digital M? Just wondering... And these are good news! :) Thanks for posting! Now we all can go out and proclaim we're trendsetters 'cuz we use film! ;)

"Shooting in black and white is very exciting".
Yeah it is. Film is such a unique and fascinating imaging technology.
Perhaps some sort of temporary bottom has been reached in the film market. :)

oh cumon guys, get off your high horses. As amateur as the article is, it is good press for analog photography. If this means more film will be made then I'm all for it.

oh cumon guys, get off your high horses. As amateur as the article is, it is good press for analog photography. If this means more film will be made then I'm all for it.

Well, can't argue that. But I guess we can poke fun at ourselves by laughing at the article.

Someone should tell Kodak that happy film days are here again. 2011 First Quarter results:

"Film, Photofinishing and Entertainment Group first-quarter sales were $367 million, a 14% decline from the year-ago quarter, driven by continuing industry-related declines. First-quarter loss from operations for the segment was $15 million, compared with earnings of $22 million in the year-ago period."

It's like deja vu all over again.

Will film regain a significant market share? Unlikely. Will film sales stabilise around a small, self-sustaining core of enthusiasts? Quite likely. Will these be enough to sustain a viable film manufacturing industry (together with 'industrial' film use)? Probably.

Back