It's official; Film is Cool

Great... more myths. It's a niche product until I see new mainstream film cameras dominating in stores again.

Last edited:
"He said: "A lot of people who are too young to have known anything other than digital enjoy learning proper technique on a manual camera. With a digital you shoot ten or 20 shots, pick the best one, and delete the rest. You can't do that with a 35mm camera. And watching it develop is magical."

This article is funny!Since when manual camera = film camera. What about all these nice auto focus film cameras?
Also, why can't you learn a proper technique on a digital camera? What is a proper technique anyway? And, yes you can shoot 20 shots on film and throw away crappy negatives.:D:D

Someone should tell Kodak that happy film days are here again. 2011 First Quarter results:

"Film, Photofinishing and Entertainment Group first-quarter sales were $367 million, a 14% decline from the year-ago quarter, driven by continuing industry-related declines. First-quarter loss from operations for the segment was $15 million, compared with earnings of $22 million in the year-ago period."

A big decline in movie film was the culprit here.

Jim B.

Maybe film isn't more popular, but the film cameras are just getting a lot bigger.
This is from a Lomo exhibit in a popular shopping center in Hong Kong.

giant.jpg

(credit to petapixel.com for the pic)

Funny how Chris Weeks is shooting an M9 in that photo :) Which is digital of course..

Is that an RFF member shooting a Leica on the upper right side of the illustration? Or is that a digital M? Just wondering... And these are good news! :) Thanks for posting! Now we all can go out and proclaim we're trendsetters 'cuz we use film! ;)

There's your answer. I have no idea why they picked that image actually, it's not like anybody will instantly see that that's a Leica, which is manual and possibly could be a film camera.

However it would be nice to look at the industry numbers. How do we know if +8% by Ilford should be compared to - say - a -20% Kodak and Fuji and -10% independent producers? A single company figure it is not significative.

However it would be nice to look at the industry numbers. How do we know if +8% by Ilford should be compared to - say - a -20% Kodak and Fuji and -10% independent producers? A single company figure it is not significative.

Not sure that is a word but I know what you mean. And it is significant when you are talking about the biggest B+W paper producer in the World. But what isn't clear is whether its UK or Worlwide sales from Ilford. I assume worlwide and its only talking film. What I really want to know is if there is a corresponding increase in paper sales.

Last edited:
I think the significant point from Kodak in 1st Quarter numbers is that there is a loss in the film and processing division. While sales had dropped consistently quarter after quarter, and was only $300 million or so, that division was still showing a small profit when the company overall wasn't. This report is that they are no longing showing a profit in the film division. How long will Kodak stay in the film game if showing a loss?

I think the significant point from Kodak in 1st Quarter numbers is that there is a loss in the film and processing division. While sales had dropped consistently quarter after quarter, and was only $300 million or so, that division was still showing a small profit when the company overall wasn't. This report is that they are no longing showing a profit in the film division. How long will Kodak stay in the film game if showing a loss?

I didn't think anyone paid any attention to what kodak are doing since their chief exec said "Film is dead".

Recently my very old Techniques stereo amp died and I went shopping for a new one. I had that amp for over 30 years and had not been in the stereo market for that amount of time. Well I found out that there is a resergence in tube amps ...I mean tube amps like the really old days!!! And even digital amps that have settings to mimic analog. Same with stereo tuners.....

I immediatly thought of film photography and the never ending debate over film vs digital. At least in sound analog has a really big following and products designed to sound like analog.....lol. I love it.

Oh BTW i bought a nice Onkyo (non-tube) amp to go with my old tuner and turntable.

Great... more myths. It's a niche product until I see new mainstream film cameras dominating in stores again.

And you know what.
Film should be a niche market.
We (film users) just need to make it stable and sustainable.

Digital can take over the commodity/commercial aspect of photography industry.

And you know what.
Film should be a niche market.
We (film users) just need to make it stable and sustainable.

Digital can take over the commodity/commercial aspect of photography industry.

I agree... though many on this site make like digital is so damn evil. Photos are photos. There is room for both and great images are made daily with both.

I agree... though many on this site make like digital is so damn evil. Photos are photos. There is room for both and great images are made daily with both.

True dat.

The medium (film or digital) in most cases does not affect the impact of the message (the photo).

Cheers,
Dave

Back