It's official, vintage digital compacts are trending (Petapixel)

I agree but also who else is doing anything in the compact camera category? When was the last time Sony updated the RX100 series? What was the last high end Canon Powesrshot? Panasonic? Olympus? Really I think it’s that Fuji and Ricoh are the last ones standing in the enthusiast compact category.
Well, Leica just brought out the D-Lux8 and Panasonic the S9. The D-Lux8 is the same old LX100 II in a new Q like skin. The S9 seems like it could be used as a pretty good video camera (though it has time limits), but for stills... not so sure. It lacks an EVF, mechanical shutter, etc. However, it is full frame and is small. I think it is underwhelming personally.

Sure Fuji and Ricoh were the last standing, but I think their popularity will lead to more compacts soon. I think the RX100 series and the D-Lux series are hampered by available sensors. Not much going on in the 1" and M43 sensor worlds it seems.

Well, Leica just brought out the D-Lux8 and Panasonic the S9. The D-Lux8 is the same old LX100 II in a new Q like skin.
Not really, it also has an OLED EVF. That will be a big upgrade from the field sequential EVF of the LX100 and LX100 II for those with fast visual processing and see the rainbows.

Not really, it also has an OLED EVF. That will be a big upgrade from the field sequential EVF of the LX100 and LX100 II for those with fast visual processing and see the rainbows.
Well, ok, not EXACTLY... but an EVF upgrade alone is not a huge deal on a $1600 camera. It is still a 17mp camera based on an old sensor using the same lens etc.

Interesting. I did not realize the D-Lux 8 had an OLED EVF—or any upgrade to the EVF at all. Judging by the initial roll-out, it seems as if the D-Lux 8 was rushed to market before the marketing team was even ready. I don't recall any such lackluster product launch by Leica. The S9 also seems as if it was rushed to market, as the lens intended to go with it wasn't ready in time.

Interesting. I did not realize the D-Lux 8 had an OLED EVF—or any upgrade to the EVF at all. Judging by the initial roll-out, it seems as if the D-Lux 8 was rushed to market before the marketing team was even ready. I don't recall any such lackluster product launch by Leica. The S9 also seems as if it was rushed to market, as the lens intended to go with it wasn't ready in time.
It is kind of amazing how Leica isn't highlighting the OLED EVF. One of the biggest complaints about the LX100 II was that the EVF wasn't upgraded. You have to go digging to find the specs for the EVF in the new Leica. It is possible the processor is upgraded too (might be needed for the EVF) as it has new features and such and compatibility with the Fotos app.

It is possible the processor is upgraded too (might be needed for the EVF) as it has new features and such and compatibility with the Fotos app.
I would imagine it is...

While I'm being rough on these two cameras, I am glad to see them. These two aren't for me, but I'm a big fan of small but powerful cameras.

Back