New York January NYC Meet-Up

How does everyone feel about the 25th? It’s the only free Sunday I have in January.

P,

The 25th is a Saturday.

Do you mean Sunday the 26th of January? If so, then the January Meet-Up will be said 26th of January.

How easy was that? Remember I'm a self proclaimed "Lazy-Slacker."

So I have a goal to be at 5' 10" to be a "Welter-Weight" meaning to get down to my "fighting weight" of under 147 pounds.

Somehow in 2019 I somehow got over 160 pounds thinking eating fatty foods would cure my cronic dry skin that is the product of aging. I practically was guzzling olive oil and was eating mucho grass fed burgers, but this did not cure me.

So hitting the gym and doing the elyptical for both strength and cardio was not enough to get me past a 153-154 pound level, I had to add some weight training to break into the 152 level where a boxer's build with abs emerges.

On a skinny bitch like me a few pounds is a lot, and now I figured out the lazy slacker mode to get into my welter weight. It is so easy, but pretty much all I need to do is limit my eating window which was generally about 12 hours to something like 10 hours.

My boss is now gone (retired). What an anxious jerk that was hard to be around. Although mucho uncertainty with work lays ahead, pretty much I'm really relaxed. A game of Chess somewhat lays ahead, where I have to be both clever and timely enough to plan out a stadedgy that has a good end game for me.

This exercise of getting into boxing shape, to be able to outflank an opponent, to strike at will, parallels what is required to survive within the crossfire of two mighty hospitals. Somehow like a Navy SEAL I have to survive by fighting alone.

I think 2020 will be a bit of a tough year. I figure it could easily take 6-12 months before anything becomes clear or there is a direction where we are heading. I'll let the two big boys fight it out. "Time is the best weapon," is an old Chinese expression.

All over again, I feel like its NYC in the 1970's again.

Cal

Have we started speculating on a February beauty contest? I really want to try to make it this year.
Phil Forrest

Have we started speculating on a February beauty contest? I really want to try to make it this year.
Phil Forrest

Phil,

I already started a February Meet-Up thread and it will be for the Beauty Contest.

I also can hand off to you those Suntour XC Pro cranks (175mm), square taper.

If you want pick the Sunday in February that's good for you.

Cal

If you have any Suntour XC Pro or XC Expert 8-speed thumb shifters you’re lookin’ to get rid of, Cal, I’m all ears!

As far as the 25th goes... I don’t know where the heck that came from! I’m pleading sleep deprivation.... the Sunday I actually have free is the 19th. Anything I said about any other dates was a product of too many 15-hour days in a row. My sincere apologies for being incoherent and getting my dates confused.

Y'all pick the Sunday. I don't want to set the date and then not be able to make it in case something comes up.
Phil Forrest

If you have any Suntour XC Pro or XC Expert 8-speed thumb shifters you’re lookin’ to get rid of, Cal, I’m all ears!

As far as the 25th goes... I don’t know where the heck that came from! I’m pleading sleep deprivation.... the Sunday I actually have free is the 19th. Anything I said about any other dates was a product of too many 15-hour days in a row. My sincere apologies for being incoherent and getting my dates confused.

P,

I have a set of XC Pro thumb shifters on my Ti Basso (Litespeed) mountain bike that features polished Ti.

They are not going anywhere. This bike has mucho retro boutique parts from way back in the day from Grafton and Cook Brothers. In a way it is a museum on wheels that features all tricked out parts of a weight weenie.

So now the Sunday for the Meet-Up is January 19th.

Cal

Hey Cal,

It would be neeto if thread title for meet ups could be amended to include the meet date, location, time. :)

January NYC Meet Up 1-26-Location-1pm

and/or if the first post to thread could be amended to have this info

Hey Cal,

It would be neeto if thread title for meet ups could be amended to include the meet date, location, time. :)

January NYC Meet Up 1-26-Location-1pm

and/or if the first post to thread could be amended to have this info

Dan,

Will do.

Cal

i miss New York so much

Mike,

I'm a "Lawn-Guy-Land" dude that only has lived in the city for two decades.

A very different experience growing up in the suburbs and living in the city.

So I have two decades of gentrifying NYC. Along the way I helped gentrify First Greenpoint, then the Southside of Williamsburg, Long Island City, and lastly East Harlem (SpaHa) AKA as "Hell Gate."

The unintended consequence is that I made landlords, developers and the banks lots of money.

Somehow since 2007 I have been documenting a disappearing NYC. Old buildings get replaced by high rises, and wealthy entitled people are moving in as more and more of the old New York disappears.

It took a while to understand my obsession, and why I so frantically photographed.

One year I averaged shooting 150 rolls of B&W a month (120 and 135). Then I got a MM and shot some more about 7 years ago. In the end my frantic effort was to somehow capture a sense of home to take with me for when eventually I'm forced to leave (Retirement).

While I was doing all this it was with a total disregard to posting or printing, which annoyed many people, led to huge arguments, and basically created a very messy life. Pretty much it might take a lifetime to sort out.

Know that somehow I have become somewhat of an ethnographer of sorts who comes from the perspective of being a gentrifier, and that somehow I inadvertently created a historical archive.

I don't think I'll miss NYC too much, but it will always be a special place.

Cal

Looking forward to the beauty contest meet-up. Assume it's February (as in last year), and ideally would love the last Sunday in February, which would be the 23rd. Same place as last year (the bar on the upper east side?)

It’s part of my charm!

Ethan,

Are we not all confused? LOL.

I often say, "Crazy is good," but I will add that "Confusion is also good," because it makes us think. Well maybe eventually.

I remember Coach Rowen in gym class yelling at me while laughing telling me in other words that basically I was one big screw up. Now that I think of it, I don't think he was wrong. Anyways that seems to be my charm. My old boss that recently retired, kinda regretted hiring me. Call me a drama queen, but for about a decade I was a performance artist, and pretty much I would riff off my confused identity.

15 hour days means you are a Brooklyn tough guy.

Cal

Looking forward to the beauty contest meet-up. Assume it's February (as in last year), and ideally would love the last Sunday in February, which would be the 23rd. Same place as last year (the bar on the upper east side?)

Jim,

I'll set up the Beauty Contest for Sunday February 23rd at the Rochard on Lexington and 97th Street as you requested.

Also I'll follow Dan's suggestion and edit this information into the first post on that thread to help avoid confusion.

Remember, "Confusion is good because it forces us to think." LOL.

Cal

705K followers.

"Maggie" got an invite to be on a panel in London during their Fashion Week. Seems like a very important honor to be invited to, but it seems she would have to burn some of her Sky Miles (Delta) to attend. Looks like she will be going. This invite is kind of a big deal, even if it is on her dime.

A trip to Paris is coming up for some launch event that is not part of Paris Fashion Week. This is a paying gig.

On the 20th of January is some NYC live TV broadcast show that she will be on as a guest. This should create a "bump."

Seems like no shipping from Leica will happen this week. I was directed to keep calling next week about SL2 availability.

Cal

Back