New York July NYC Meet-Up

Everyone: I HAVE TO CANCEL THE SUNDAY MEET-UP.

"Maggie" got the call last night, and she will be in this music video shoot today and Saturday. These music video gigs pay little money, but the exposure is huge. Typically they are long days of hard work. The hair and make-up people try to avoid these gigs because they are marathon events for them often with a huge cast.

Meanwhile a winter coat will be delivered this Saturday that has to be shot on Sunday because the client needs the shots by Monday. This is what I hate about the world of fashion, all this last minute stress due to bad/awful planning or lack of...

This is a paying gig, so money comes first.

I just want to let people know that Jon Cone currently has a Summer sale that offers 17 1/2% off. Time to load up the truck. I think I will convert and recycle my 3880 into a color printer using Cone Color Archival Pigment inks. The cost per ml is less than 8 cents if I bulk up, and then printing color ends up being about the cost of paper. Free shipping on orders over $500.00.

Eventually I'll put the 7800 online and load it with Piezography Pro. At this stage I have proofed to the level of work-prints, and the next stage is make full sized proofs that later will be limited editions. The will be a bump up in image size as well as sheet size.

My thinking is 13.33"X 20" image size on 20x24 sheet. The bump up in size is small but the impact is great. The prints open up some and more tonality and detail gets revealed.

On my way to work this morning I found a book produced by the University Press of Florida of Clyde Butcher a large format B&W shooter. The title of the book is called "Florida Landscapes."

I litterally found this book in the middle of the street. The jacket shows damage of having been run over by cars, and the spine of the book is split. Pretty much the book displays authentic "road rash." Anyways an interesting find.

531K followers. Maggie wants to retire in half a year.

At work there are some changes going on. Looks like I will be removed from my solitary confinement and will be retrained and possibly absorbed into the newer cyclotron/radiochemistry facility. All this could be great. I'm not afraid of change.

I'm at a point where I have to consider doing a W-9 with the pay from Maggie. My tax bracket is lower. It is beginning to make sense to open up a business account to keep my personal banking and bankstering separate.

Also for accounting purposes having everything itemized in a separate account makes for easy doings with my accountant. Taxes is about 1/3rd of my money.

Cal

Nice find. Clyde butcher is an amazing printer, saw some of his huge prints in Florida some years ago, nice stuff.

Nice find. Clyde butcher is an amazing printer, saw some of his huge prints in Florida some years ago, nice stuff.

Fidel,

The book is signed.

I mentioned that Moog Synth DVD I gave to you to my hill-billy friend out in the burbs on Lawn-Guy-Land, and he would like a copy. Is this possible?

Kinda funny that I call him a hill-billy and that his name is Billy. I don't think Billy went to college, but he is smart and has a remarkable memory for fact and trivia. He is kinda like a Cliff Claven from the TV show "Cheers" except perhaps more annoying and smarter. LOL.

So I mention how "Maggie" has become a celeb and how she has over 530K followers/stalkers. LOL. I mention the lack of privacy, and how she gets recognized anywhere we go. At times it is hard to avoid getting mobbed, and trying to shoot her in any city is fraught with invasions. Only place this didn't happen is in Mad-Rid because the Spanish are so polite. She got recognized though because she recieved PM's from her followers that she was sighted, but they were too afraid or were not bold enough to approach her on the street.

So Billy tells a story of getting to meet Larry Coryell (the Godfather of Jazz Fusion) through another friend. They don't have tickets, but get into "My Father's Place" and go back stage. Billy and Larry get along well and become great friends.

So traveling in this circle Billy meets many other elite people, but it is on a first name basis. Sometimes later he finds out who these important people are. One case was this guy Felix who he got to know rather well. Hanging out one day they decide to visit the Guild guitar factory later that same week, but Billy gets a call from another friend and learns that Felix is dead and was murdered.

Billy is in disbelief, because Felix was shot by his wife.

"Didn't you see the headline in the Daily News?"

It was then that he learned that Felix was Felix Pappalardi, the bass player and vocalist from "Mountain," Mississipi Queen, and Nantucket Sleighride fame. Felix was also the producer of the Cream album Dis-Rail-E Gears.

Cal

Yes. Probably one of the best living ULF photographers. I've even been contemplating buying that exact book!!

I found it on 97th Street inbetween Third and Second Avenues.

How lucky is it that it is signed?

What does all this mean?

Cal

Obviously Clyde intended for you to get it, and in NY street condition. Better think about a 44 inch printer now. You're going to become Cal Butcher, Piezog-ULF.

Obviously Clyde intended for you to get it, and in NY street condition. Better think about a 44 inch printer now. You're going to become Cal Butcher, Piezog-ULF.

Robert,

This book really redefines the term "Street Photography."

I think I will make a framed display for this found treasure.

I think this is a better conversation piece than my Micheal Jordan Rookie Card that has a stamp made by the Police to mark it "Forgery" to make sure this counterfeited card is not passed off or mistaken as the real deal.

The backstory on the Rookie Card is I paid $60.00 for the card; the dealer had a stack of them that he bought at a police auction; and it was the last one. At that time Micheal Jordan Rookie Cards sold for $30K.

My card dealer called me and wanted me to bring in my Forgery to compare to the real-deal he had in stock. The colors were good and also the printing. I could not see any difference, but dealer saw one small detail in the copy write symbol in that there authentic card had a more defines "stitching' like a basketball around the copy write symbol.

Cal

Cal, here's another Cal story. Sort of. Like the Felix Pappalardi story, but happier.

There's a woman in Ferndale (population 1352, plus oh 2000+ dairy cows) who takes care of potted and hanging plants around City Hall, the adjacent park, some other spots along Main Street. I see her attending and watering the plants high up on the lamp posts from the bed of her red Ford F150, and we say hello, and she likes our crew of terriers.

Turns out her surname is Tjader. Her father was the jazz musician and perennial Downbeat poll winner Cal Tjader.

You and Maggie should get a getaway place here. She can go to SFO/Seattle/LA/NY etc. whenever fame beckons, and you can be Cali-Cal, and we can run big printers in my nice big carpeted garage, and keep FedEx and UPS busy.

UPDATE: Today is going to be a long-long day. It seems that "Maggie" is in one of her "Fashion Frenzy's" that suddenly drags me in.

Today's shoot was to begin at noon, and I was expecting to enjoy being on my own so I could, "mind my own business..." but that is not going to happen. Last night was the call, and they pleaded with her over the phone, please say you are available Saturday. So my initial response was "Bonus Vacation" which normally means I go to wok and my boss is off so I can basically enjoy the day on my own terms as a lazy slacker.

So this morning I get notice about the winter coat that has to be shot so that the client has the files by Monday. Then around lunchtime today I get an email about a schedule change and all this confusion. Now the call for today is at 6:00 PM, and the location is somewhere along the route of the "N" train.

Maggie knows that typically these shoots go beyond 8 hours so there is a high probability of "overtime" so she wants her bodyguard/entourage/personal-assistant to go along for the ride.

At my job it is not easy to take a day off on short notice. Also a distillation needs to happen on Friday, and my boss is the guy that handles that, but he can't be in two locations at the same time to do both our jobs. Good thing that no schedule is booked so I can come to work to rest.

The last time she did a video it was for Charlotte Gainsborough and it was like a 12 hour day in Westchester. This video will be over two days. The good is that this gig involve a very big rapper, I might be able to shoot behind the scenes, and I will get to meet and establish some contacts. My hope is that I'm able to be able to shoot.

This is why I hate the world of fashion. There is always a "next disaster." Sometimes I feel like I'm a Navy SEAL. Survival training is 95% of survival is a positive mental attitude.

Cal

Just following some of this (God help me the house needs cleaning!)

My Father's Place! Jeeze, I was likely at that Coryell-Eleventh House show. The band was loud for the venue, and Larry made a demonstrative effort to put earplugs in before they began to rock the house. I think they were there a couple of times back then.

It was a fun club in Roslyn LI. Saw Herbie and possibly Chick Corea played there as well. I finally got to see Mike Bloomfield play, and it was there in his solo years. Not his best night but hey!

Felix P may he RIP "Theme from An Imaginary Western" was such a nice tune.

Cal, here's another Cal story. Sort of. Like the Felix Pappalardi story, but happier.

There's a woman in Ferndale (population 1352, plus oh 2000+ dairy cows) who takes care of potted and hanging plants around City Hall, the adjacent park, some other spots along Main Street. I see her attending and watering the plants high up on the lamp posts from the bed of her red Ford F150, and we say hello, and she likes our crew of terriers.

Turns out her surname is Tjader. Her father was the jazz musician and perennial Downbeat poll winner Cal Tjader.

You and Maggie should get a getaway place here. She can go to SFO/Seattle/LA/NY etc. whenever fame beckons, and you can be Cali-Cal, and we can run big printers in my nice big carpeted garage, and keep FedEx and UPS busy.

Robert,

How close is the nearest international airport? Also Maggie wants to live urban big city. For some reason I love crazy women. LOL.

Maggie's life involves mucho travel. I hate flying because my sister worked for TWA and as her brother I had flight benefits. Pretty much early in life I traveled a lot, so much so that it got boring. Also along the way everything bad that can happen to you on a plane has happened to me except a plane crash and a hijacking.

The trip to Mad-Rid was nice but with two travel days, a busy booked schedule, and only three full days in Mad-Rid, it felt like I just flew over Madrid and never landed. On the other hand getting the VIP treatment and being treated like royalty was pleasing. These short trips to me seem like a waste of time.

I love Cal Tjader BTW.

Another thing is that Calvin Klein has this new T-shirt, and I'm going to riff off the branding. "Calvin-New York" is printed on the shirt with no other graphic on two lines. Pretty much I'm the real "Calvin" and I'm the real New York. LOL. Pretty much my intent tis to appropriate and twist their branding into my own self-promotion. LOL.

BTW one of my nick-names was "Klein."

Another name I was called was "Max" and not because I print big. At Grumman, a company that employed 30K people on Long Island, there was this Latino guy who drove a fork lift in Plant 2. Understand that Plant 2 was part of an aircraft factory and was 1/8th mile wide and a 1/4 mile long. Max and I strongly resembled each other even though I'm Asian and Max was Latino, just know that I have been called a Spic and a PR mistakenly.

Also outside of Grumman I have been mistaken as Max by herds of hard core Harley riders, and by girls who hit on me by asking, "Don't you work at Hempstead Harley?"

Cal

Just following some of this (God help me the house needs cleaning!)

My Father's Place! Jeeze, I was likely at that Coryell-Eleventh House show. The band was loud for the venue, and Larry made a demonstrative effort to put earplugs in before they began to rock the house. I think they were there a couple of times back then.

It was a fun club in Roslyn LI. Saw Herbie and possibly Chick Corea played there as well. I finally got to see Mike Bloomfield play, and it was there in his solo years. Not his best night but hey!

Felix P may he RIP "Theme from An Imaginary Western" was such a nice tune.

DwF,

Imagine seeing Tower of Power at My Farther's Place. I did. What a great venue. Use to park under the bridge and get the car crusted in bird turds.

A friend of mine is a bass player and he played for Tower of Power when they went on tour in Germany. Dave was friends with Jaco when he lived in Miami. Dave has one of Jaco's basses that was used on one of the Weather Report albums. Fender Jazz bass, rosewood board, no pickguard.

Dave told me about all the manic behavior of Jaco.

Cal

Yes Cal, I remember parking under the viaduct there :p Never saw T of P but that had to be a fun show. Amazing having that venue in Roslyn!

David

I saw the Good Rats and Iggy Pop there...

Spelling errors -- it's copyright :)

And " means I go to wok and my boss is off " that made me laugh - I always go to pot... :)

Yes Cal, I remember parking under the viaduct there :p Never saw T of P but that had to be a fun show. Amazing having that venue in Roslyn!

David

David,

The world is not that big. Also I believe now is a great time to be a photographer. We live in a world that is rapidly changing.

On a vacation that got hijacked a designer friend made it her mission to have us meet many of the creatives she knew in Seattle, and there were many invites for us to relocate there.

I'm on a waiting list for artist housing, and the expected wait is 3-6 years. Anyways We kinda have a tribe of creatives in Seattle already. First I need the timing to be right, and next I need to drop my income, but I hope to retire soon.

I saw Eddie Gomez perform at the IMAC in Huntington. Sadly only about a dozen people in the audience.

Also saw Albert King play at SUNY Old Westbury. Only about 3 dozen people in the audience.

Cal

Everyone: I HAVE TO CANCEL THE SUNDAY MEET-UP.

"Maggie" got the call last night, and she will be in this music video shoot today and Saturday. These music video gigs pay little money, but the exposure is huge. Typically they are long days of hard work. The hair and make-up people try to avoid these gigs because they are marathon events for them often with a huge cast.

Meanwhile a winter coat will be delivered this Saturday that has to be shot on Sunday because the client needs the shots by Monday. This is what I hate about the world of fashion, all this last minute stress due to bad/awful planning or lack of...

This is a paying gig, so money comes first.

I just want to let people know that Jon Cone currently has a Summer sale that offers 17 1/2% off. Time to load up the truck. I think I will convert and recycle my 3880 into a color printer using Cone Color Archival Pigment inks. The cost per ml is less than 8 cents if I bulk up, and then printing color ends up being about the cost of paper. Free shipping on orders over $500.00.

Eventually I'll put the 7800 online and load it with Piezography Pro. At this stage I have proofed to the level of work-prints, and the next stage is make full sized proofs that later will be limited editions. The will be a bump up in image size as well as sheet size.

My thinking is 13.33"X 20" image size on 20x24 sheet. The bump up in size is small but the impact is great. The prints open up some and more tonality and detail gets revealed.

On my way to work this morning I found a book produced by the University Press of Florida of Clyde Butcher a large format B&W shooter. The title of the book is called "Florida Landscapes."

I litterally found this book in the middle of the street. The jacket shows damage of having been run over by cars, and the spine of the book is split. Pretty much the book displays authentic "road rash." Anyways an interesting find.

531K followers. Maggie wants to retire in half a year.

At work there are some changes going on. Looks like I will be removed from my solitary confinement and will be retrained and possibly absorbed into the newer cyclotron/radiochemistry facility. All this could be great. I'm not afraid of change.

I'm at a point where I have to consider doing a W-9 with the pay from Maggie. My tax bracket is lower. It is beginning to make sense to open up a business account to keep my personal banking and bankstering separate.

Also for accounting purposes having everything itemized in a separate account makes for easy doings with my accountant. Taxes is about 1/3rd of my money.

Cal

Thank you for letting us know Cal, just hold onto the Case I still want it or maybe we could meet during the week when I have off.

NY Dan, I remember the Good Rats and haven't heard anyone speak of them in over 40 years. They were reputedly the "best band" around Nassau County when I was a kid.

Cal, I am aware the world is not that big. I was looking for a particular dark chocolate bar here in Washington State about three weeks ago. A woman positioned in front of me saw she was obscuring my view. We started to talk, she was obviously a New Yorker. She and I got to talking and found that we shared the same sixth grade teacher one year apart in the mid sixties!

David

Back