New York July NYC Meet-Up

I’m sorry Cal, there is no way you can fit a second 24” printer in the closet without Lyn finding out...

Christian,

Hide it in plain sight I say. My apartment is so cluttered that just moving things around will disguise them. Basically the bedroom already is one big closet.

Seriously I could take the 7800 and put on that "standing desk" that is behind me when I am looking at my EIZO. The stand for the 7800 I would put into storage. And my new printer would be the floor standing one on wheels.

Then I would have to find a place to "hide" all those cameras and boxes of paper. My logic is smaller items are easier to "hide."

The P7000 weighs more than 100 pounds more than the 7800. How is that? 235 pounds. The 7800 only weighs 125 pounds. So now I know to hold out on the $750.00 Epson rebate.

Cal

Can you run Piezo on the P7000? I thought the new US Epsons were locked, and the Cone decoder board only worked on the P800.

PTP,

Jon Cone is a stubborn man and he is mighty clever. I was sent an e-mail that says he has figured out a work around for U.S. Printers that have the third party ink lockout.

The new solution for P7000 is this 700 ml cart chip that has to replaced after 700 ml of ink has been expended. He will be manufacturing these carts.

For Piezography Pro the printers that have 10 ink slots are best because this allows PK-HD (Black); Warm-Dark; Cool-Dark; Warm-Medium; Cool-Medium; Warm-Light; and Cool-Light; to be used with the additional shades of Warm Light-Light and Cool Light-Light. The tenth ink slot is for the Gloss Optimizer.

A friend of mine showed me some prints from a 7900 (10 cart slots) that utilized Piezography Pro glossy with the additional Light-Light shades. Kinda crushes my PP in my 3880 without the Light-Light shades. The highlights were very much like film with smooth roll-off.

The P7000 allows me to start with a fresh brand new printer. The rebate from Epson is $750.00, so the final cost is $2.6K for the printer, and you could recoup some of that cost by selling or bartering the 120 ml inkset that comes with the printer to fill the ink lines, the dampers and printhead.

I'll check that e-mail again to see how this extends to the other floor standing printers. Jon Cone reports though that these non U.S. printers exported to China that don't have the non OEM ink lock-out have been doing great service in China and other parts of the world with superb results.

So pretty much no special board is required and simply 700 ml chips are the expendables. Also know that there are reports that the nanoparticle technology that was utilized to develop PP also makes PP less prone to clog than Epson OEM inks.

After being an early adopter of Piezography Pro (Beta Tester) I can say first hand that my K-7 is more prone to clogging, but that is mostly due to batch usage where "air-time" for either the 7 shades of black alternates with a printing of "Gloss Optimizer" for a series of prints. I no longer do this practice.

Also any clogging where I need to do a power cleaning in my 3880 is mostly due to printing on rag papers where papers buckle under heavy ink load (blacks and shadows with abundant contrast) with certain images where I get "head scuffing" ( a different type of minimal "headstrike"). Know that I can print on a cellulose Baryta paper day-in and day-out and never have a clog with Piezography Pro.

The prints I was shown that were printed on a 7900 were impressive 20x30 image size on 24x36 sheet. Ultra smooth...

Cal

POSTSCRIPT: P6000, P7000, P8000 and P9000 are supported by the 700 ml expenable chip. New cart being designed as of June 7th. Expected availability mid-July.

You heard it first here from "Calzone the Smut Queen."

Last edited:
Man! I will miss ya John, But Cal, do you still want to do the early Port Morris, Hellgate walkabout (shootabout) Sunday am?

Man! I will miss ya John, But Cal, do you still want to do the early Port Morris, Hellgate walkabout (shootabout) Sunday am?

Landrew,

If you want to go the best light is early morning. We can meet-up on Randal's Island since you are coming from Astoria.

John I think is tied up on Sunday, but I think I will be shooting film with my Baby Tech IV Linhof with 100/2.8 Planar.

Cal

"Maggie" is traveling to Finland for a shoot.

Maggie also just got a huge big gig that makes her reach her financial goal for the year 6 months early. Now there is talk of not working the full academic year ahead and perhaps only a semester.

This Friday I have scheduled a meeting with this antique dealer I would consider a Japanese Historian who wants to print an archive of vintage glass negatives.

I'll be bringing some of my large prints as well as some 13x19 1/2 image size on 18x24 sheet to display my I.Q., tonality and skills.

My delusional thinking and outward creative lack of self control hopes that somehow this is a "Divine Intervention" that remarkably leads to me being able to justify getting a new Epson P7000 to dedicate to Piezography Pro.

I have the back cover almost completed for my workbook. I just have to line the inside with this rice paper I bought at Talas. The binder's board I used is 8 ply and is about 1/8th of an inch thick. I also have a bunch of new prints to add so currently I expect this workbook to have a girth of about 3 inches.

Cal

For me, I think only lunchtime on Saturday July 7th would work this time around... I leave on Sunday. And Manhattan would be easiest for me. Unfortunately, I have a short trip with a few things beyond my control in my family this time around. Maybe a few of us can just meet for lunch in Chinatown or something if you don't want to have a full blown meet-up.

John,

How is this looking for Saturday?

Also Sunday I'm shooting in Port Morris. The early light is good under a series of Amtrack tressles/overpasses. Kinda like some of the last gritty places in NYC that has not yet been sanitized. The light is very pretty in the early-early morning.

John with Andre will remember seeing all the Ho's (street walkers) and the pack of ferral Pit Bulls we tried to avoid. Now that is gone and somehow the streets are cleaner.

Plan "A" s to walking with a Baby Linhof, but Joe contacted me about maybe a bike and shoot so now I have a Plane "B."

I don't mind going alone, and this section of the South Bronx is a short walk away from where I live. So it would be really great if we could firm this up before Friday.

Cal

Also want to know if anyone wants to have a regular/typical Meet-Up at the Rochard one Sunday?

Cal

After meeting up with Landrew and some of his crew, we wonder if we could have an outdoor Astoria Polish beergarden Meet-Up later this month on a Sunday?

Cal

Friday I met up with the Japanese antique dealer/historian. I showed him some samples of my printing, and I recieved a few TIFF files and a 5x7 glass negative that is likely from the 1930's to try and digitize.

In looking at the TIFF's he gave to me obviously from a flat bed scanner, they are unusable because they have Newton Rings and are dirty. So to make these images usable it will require some expertise from a graphic artist who can digitally remove and clean up the dirt from a new file I will create. The problem for me is that with Piezography the printing is so accurate that every defect and artifact will get printed.

Let's see if I can get the dealer/historian onboard with investing in cleaning up these negatives. I'm not talking restoration here. I also see that when he mentioned archive he was not kidding. There are boxes of old vintage negatives Some are film (not glass).

Saturday had lunch with John, Pro-Mone and Jean-Marc. Afterwards John, Pro-Mone and I went shooting, and we also went to ICP to see the Bresson and Erwitt exhibitions which are worth seeing. Pretty much we shot until about 6:00 PM and this deeply reminded me of the old days when we spent lots of time shooting together.

I was the slow shooter with the film camera, my F3P with Noct-Nikkor. One incident happened on the Lower Eastside when I was walking with Pro-Mone under some scaffolding, this homeless man made a lunge at me. I was lucky because my hands were free, I successfully blocked his arm from hurting me, and forced the back of his forearm into one of the scaffolding poles. Not sure if the guy was trying to sucker punch me or grab me.

I'm kinda proud that I'm not the angry guy I use to be decades ago, because back then I would of overreacted and beaten this man. I also am disturbed because if at night or alone would the appropriate response to danger, hostility and aggression be to flip the switch and take a man out? I wonder if I'm loosing my edge and becoming too soft? Good thing my reflex worked out this time, but the truth be told anything could happen, even a mistake.

I had the opportunity to scope out a gallery that I became acquainted with through the New York Times Portfolio Review. I kinda found a gallery where my work actually could fit in.

Sunday I walked to Randal's Island to meet-up with Landrew and part of his crew. They walked over the Tri-burrow Bridge from Astoria. We walked into the Bronx and shot a bit in Port Morris. We kinda missed some of the good light, but it began like a beach day of relaxing. We ended up walking back to Astoria and ended up in that Polish Beergarden. More of Landrew's crew popped-in, and before you know it we spontainiously all ended up at Landrew's place having a BBQ as a tribe.

So I didn't know when "Maggie's" flight back from Iceland was coming in, so I called and left a message I was in Astoria. Didn't leave until about 8:00 PM, and the vibe of the day was more like a relaxing endless day at the beach. How refreshing.

Landre gifted me a GTI D5000 print viewing station. This happens to be a very valuable item that I always wanted, and know that for me it is a treasure. Also the conversations of the group who has an identity tied to photography really created this wonderful sense of community. This was exactly what I needed.

So I got home about the time Maggie's plane landed. I will be shooting tonight and Wednesday. Also shooting the Baby Linhof is like carrying around a gallon of milk because the weight is about the same. The Linhof is a pretty slow shooter, even for medium format, but the results I kinda love. This camera literally is 60 years old and is as old as me.

Cal

Cal, as the Shaolin monk once opined, "“If you trust yourself, any choice you make will be correct." I always say, "Man who walk under scaffolding must not presume all danger lurks from above." Or as Teddy Roosevelt said, "Shoot softly and carry a big lens; you will go far." Recently I connected two rear lens caps with a three inch chain. When shooting in dangerous locals I affix the caps to lenses to fashion what I call, "Photographer-Nunchucks." Love your posts Cal :)

Dan,

I did not expect being ambushed physically in broad daylight. Instinct an reflex saved me from harm.

Later that afternoon we also had another run in with aggressive panhandlers. I kinda used my agility to sidestep away. This old woman started entering John and Pro-Mone's space on a crowded street corner.

This woman was putting in some "face-time" with John and Pro-Mone, yelling at them, "Pay me," she said.

Earlier when I was by myself, on my way to lunch, I found a quarter. It is a Chinese belief that one should share good luck because it is fruitful to bringing more good luck and good karma. So I pass a panhandler and decide to give him the quarter I found. I explained I found the quarter and wanted to share my luck. In this case I should of kept the quarter because the kindness was not well received. I truely regret being kind.

Last night on the news was a report of a woman who got clubbed by an aggressive panhandler on the subway downtown on the number 2 train. She suffered a fractured skull and a broken eye socket.

"Welcome to New York," I say...

Cal

Cal - I hear you. :)

Wherever one is, especially in a city - one needs to keep their radar on - cars, bike riders, infrastructure, mentally-imbalanced people -- there's danger everywhere. Hopefully, as photographers we're more observant.

As for kind gestures - I always consider the saying "No good deed goes unpunished." Sadly, it's often true. However, no kindness if ever wasted. In the case of the quarter - you could always use it as part of the payment to buy something - it benefits the merchant.

Aside from shooting a few events for money, I've been taking a break from photography since Dec 2017. Feels good.

Cal - I hear you. :)

Wherever one is, especially in a city - one needs to keep their radar on - cars, bike riders, infrastructure, mentally-imbalanced people -- there's danger everywhere. Hopefully, as photographers we're more observant.

As for kind gestures - I always consider the saying "No good deed goes unpunished." Sadly, it's often true. However, no kindness if ever wasted. In the case of the quarter - you could always use it as part of the payment to buy something - it benefits the merchant.

Aside from shooting a few events for money, I've been taking a break from photography since Dec 2017. Feels good.

Dan,

There is more to life than photography, and sometimes taking a break is good.

Although you have to know that I have had a very disrupted life where I had to stop and start my artistic endeavors many-many times. I do know that too much of our identities are tied to the arts, and at some point you will return.

I really like your quote, "No act of kindness goes unpunished." Also your spin that eventually that some form of good will eventually happen.

Reminds me of a story that was told to me. Two friends (guys) jibbing each other. So one guy is an opt-tow-mist so much so that it annoys the other, and there is mention and discussion about how annoying this persistent optimism is because it never waivers.

So the "friend" after some further discussion about how annoying the opto-mist is the "friend" graps a hammer and says, "If I take this hammer and start smashing your hand what is good about that?"

And the response was, "It will be good when you stop." LOL.

This story I think is true, you can't make this stuff up.

Cal

I've been applying my photo "skills-inspiration" to a different artistic endeavor. I agree - that we're both driven/compulsive/relentless - in mostly good ways, and therefore we can't go without artistic expression for longer than a day or two.

Sharing luck as a Chinese belief - there are many many many wise Chinese beliefs - not surprising as the culture has had millennia to polish them.

I found a dollar in the street this past Friday. Carefully holding it by the edges I brought it to a nearby 7-11 and purchased a lottery ticket. Forgot to check the drawing this Saturday. Will do so tonight - if I remember. Speaking of sayings: Give a man a dollar and he buys one lottery ticket. Teach a man to make money and he buys lottery tickets for a lifetime. At least I think that's how the saying goes... :)

I've been applying my photo "skills-inspiration" to a different artistic endeavor. I agree - that we're both driven/compulsive/relentless - in mostly good ways, and therefore we can't go without artistic expression for longer than a day or two.

Sharing luck as a Chinese belief - there are many many many wise Chinese beliefs - not surprising as the culture has had millennia to polish them.

I found a dollar in the street this past Friday. Carefully holding it by the edges I brought it to a nearby 7-11 and purchased a lottery ticket. Forgot to check the drawing this Saturday. Will do so tonight - if I remember. Speaking of sayings: Give a man a dollar and he buys one lottery ticket. Teach a man to make money and he buys lottery tickets for a lifetime. At least I think that's how the saying goes... :)

Dan,

You have to know that the Cantonese are known to be fisherman. I' a particularly good one.

So at Grumman I had this big German friend who could crush my head like a pimple. Rich was a nasty guy, and I kinda annoyed him, which is kinda dumb. Rich was a deer hunter but he didn't use a rifle to go hunting, he used a compound bow.

At Grumman's 500 acre gated complex I saw all kinds of smut going on in plain sight because I'm Calzone. So not uncommon to see all kinds of inappropriate stuff like a machinist working on a gun doing some gunsmithing on his lunch hour.

So Rich sets up an archery range. The way a compound bow works is that a series of pulleys, math, and leverage makes it hard to draw the bow until it hits a "break-point" then the force becomes minimal. Rich would brag that when he shoots a deer the amount of foot pound striking the deer from his arrow generally is enough to knock down the deer.

So the point of this story is that Rich is really-really strong because no-one we knew had the strength to draw his bow.

Rich had the aweful mood swings, and like I say he was nasty. One Monday at work I see that he is all happy, and he shows me a photo of him in cammo with his bow and a trophy deer he killed. When I said he looked like Elmer Fud, Rich did not think it was funny, but everone in my group thought it was.

I took note that for that day he seemed extremely happy and even giddy. So because I'm an idiot sa-vont I notice that on Mondays when Rich was in a good mood that it meant and coresponded that over the weekend he kill something or someone. LOL. This insight proved to be true. LOL.

Of course because I'm a smut queen this information and culture was shared with the rest of my group. So somehow Rich understood that I could be mean and nasty like him, and we became friends. One day he asks me if I want to go fishing with him, and he asks if I ever went fishing offshore?

Never been deep-sea fishing, so I go. "I was just walking along, minding my own business," when I drove out to Shinacock and get on a boat that has two 750 hourspower Volvo turbo diesals to discover that I'm part of the Shinacock Mako Mania Shark Tournement. So I never ever went shark fishing either.

So there is this rich guy who owns the boat, Rich and me. The boat is only a 30 footer, but it has a 15 foot beam (width), and it is built for heavy seas. So at the inlet 100 boats are collected waiting for the tournement to begin. When the flare was shot off for the start 100 boats gunned their throttles and headed out to sea.

Now I understood why 15 hundred horsepower is good. This boat, a Blackwatch, parted the sea and made this nasty massive wake that punnished all the other boats that were not as fast. I would later learn that it is a big advantage to be the first with a chum slick, because we would be the first boat to report landing a Mako.

My job was to maintain the chum slick. I was cutting up butterfish and "chunking" that into our slick of Bunker chum, when I heard the clicker on the the rod with the most amount of line out. It clicked again, and then I went over to Rich who was sleeping and woke him up. I told him to get up that we had a fish on that line.

Rich put the reel in freespool and let some line out. He held the rod tip down towards the water, when the slack ran out he raised the rod tip violently three times to set the hook, and then some fish started to make a "run" taking out line.

We had to clear the deck by reeling in the other lines to avoid tangles. I had to pull in the chum pot, the gaff had to be readied, and Rich yells out, "This fish is hurting me. Get me a belt." We scramble to get a belt tht has a gimble on it for the rod butt. A pad spreads the load to Richie's legs, and then Frank the Captain asks, "Do you want a harness?"

"Yes," Rich yells. "This fish is hurting me. If we don't land this fish I'm going to kill someone."

Then the fish breaks the water and jumps.

"Its a Mako." Frank and Rich scream.

Fast forward: I never have been offshore where I am no longer in the U.S.; never went shark fishing; and never gaffed a Mako which is a very dangerous thing to do.

I was going to be the "wire-man." When we got the Mako along side the boat I had to grab the line inbetween my open palms wearing leather gloves, and circle the fishe's head toward the man with the flying gaff.

When the gaff went into the sharks head the 10 feet of rope tied on one end to the gaff hook and the other end tied to a cleat resonated like a piano string as the shark sounded. Then we had to do the most dangerous thing and that is tail rope a shark.

The way it is down is that there is this clasp on the end of a rope, you circle the other rope that holds the gaff hook and it was my job to pass the tailrope over the shark's head, fins onto her back. (Female Mako's are the larger of the species)

Mako's are know to jump into boats. There are stories of Makos jumping and blowing holes in boats sinking them. This fish when Rich and Frank were pulling on the gaff line tried to get into the boat. Rich kinda saved me by knocking me down onto the deck with a shove. The Mako had lunged for my face.

The weather was going to drastically change for the worst, so it seemed like we had the trophy fish. Rather than fight the sea and the weather we decided to head in early. It was victory at sea. We ended up getting only third place, but the boat that had the bigger Mako did not put into the "Calcutta" meaning the pool for the biggest Mako. First place went to a thousand pound Thresher. We split the winnings 4 ways the prize was $10K and the reason for 4 shares is that the boat gets a share.

Point is that again Rich is a strong and powerful man, and he loved killing things.

Part three: So I can't help preying on Rich's weaknesses. He lives to kill things and he is mighty good at it. After we wone the shark tournement I was invited to go offshore every weekend because I was considered good luck (back on topic).

So this one entire weekend we load up the boat with enough diesel and ice for the entire weekend to go Tuna fishing, and are going to tie off of some lobster pots in the shipping lanes for the overnight.

We tie off. I'm grabbing a lobster pot in the bow to tie off of, but meanwhile Rich hooks into a Dolphin (fish not the mammal) using a bare hook with a piece of squid. I knew of stories of how these fish form gigantic schools, and if you tie off a live one that the entire school of fish will not abandon a member of their school.

I was amazed that this is true. The school was enormous surrounding out. One of my annoying things I do is I love to show off. I take great pride in this. I tend to use light tackle so even though we are deep sea fishing I have a casting reel with 10 pound test line, while Rich and Frank are using 20 pound test on spinning rods. Not everbody has the style and skill to use a casting rod.

So we can see the fish but we can't get them to bite. Because I'm creative I decide to cast the baited hook. I see the squid hit the water, a fish turn out of curiousity to see where the splash happened, and then see a second fish taking notice and then becoming competitive with the first and racing to attack my bait.

The white piece of squid I see just under the surface fluttering deeper suddenly disappears, I raise my rod tip, and then the fish jumps to get Frank's and Rich's attention. I bring in a 5-6 pond fish over the gunnel but I kinda am mean and I bounce the fish "accidently" off of Rich's leg.

I throw the fish into the cooler; I make a cast, set the hook and bring in another one. This time I just unhook the fish and let it flop and thrash about on the deck to create an effect, knowing that this will annoy Rich further. I make a third cast, and it seems automatic because I'm into my third fish on my third cast.

When I bring in the third fish Rich looses it.

"If you don't tell me what you are doing immediately I'm going to throw you overboard."

So I tell them to cast away and engage the Dolfine's innate sense of curiousity and their competitiveness.

Before the sun set we had literally filled the boat with fish and ran out of ice. It made no sense to Tuna fish the next day. We had captured the entire school.

Some of my best fun ever was teasing Rich. He is a great sport, but he could also be very nasty. LOL.

Cal

BTW I'm bored at work. I guess I'm getting paid for this writing. Enjoy.

The Old Cal and the Sea - Calzone Hemmingway :)

One question - why did you need the whole school of fish?

The Old Cal and the Sea - Calzone Hemmingway :)

One question - why did you need the whole school of fish?

Dan,

I'm a big fan of Hemmingway.

"Pinhooking" meaning selling fish without a commercial fishing license.

We sold the fish. The Mako we caught we sold. Tuna are big money.

Diesel, ice, trays of butterfish for chunking, and chum all cost money. Kinda like photography but different. LOL.

BTW being offshore in the shipping lanes is like an inbetween space. You are not in any country and you are on your own. Saw a submarine on the surface. Not sure it was one of ours. We called it into the Coast Guard.

Danger and adventure is a really exciting adrenalin rush. BTW fresh Mako and Tuna are almost better than sex.

Cal

"BTW fresh Mako and Tuna are almost better than sex." True, my wife says that to me all the time. But she doesn't limit it to just fresh fish - cookies, bread sticks, onions, and paper clips and just about anything you could mention are also on her list. I gotta up my game!

Must have been cool and scary being out in the ocean. Shipping lanes are dangerous. And a 15 foot beam on a 30 footer is a lot.

Back