Just got a Barnack Leica!

Oh, and I ordered an E39 model Elmar 90/4, so my A36 version will be expendable. If it's any good (haven't test shot it yet, but it looks clean), I'll send it your way, Chris.

PF

Phil sent me his extra 90mm a few days before Christmas, and I began shooting with it right away! Unfortunately, I'm so far behind in getting stuff scanned that I didn't get any of the photos I shot with the 90s scanned until last night. These three photos are from the first two rolls of film that I shot with it.

I love the lens! Thanks again, Phil :D

2020-01-12-0005.jpg

2020-01-12-0006.jpg

The two houses in the photos above are both located on Mulberry Street in the small town of Churubusco, Indiana. I photographed them on December 20th, 2019.

2020-01-12-0009.jpg

This building is in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. It was moved last year to its current location on the southeast corner of Harrison Street and Superior Street last year. It had been on the north side of Superior Street before that.

2020-01-12-0001.jpg

2020-01-12-0003.jpg

I recently got a good deal on an old all-chrome Canon 50mm f1.8 LTM lens, which I am very impressed with. The resolution across the whole frame, even at wider apertures, is much better than the Summitar; that works better for my work, which is largely architectural. I also like the wide focusing ring; easier for me to use than the little focus tab on the Summitar.

These are my first shots with it. These scenes are on Lower Huntington Road in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Waynedale was once a small town, but was absorbed by Fort Wayne in 1957. Though it has been part of the larger city 63 years, it still looks like a small town. Lower Huntington Road was Waynedale's "Main Street." I grew up in Waynedale and moved back here a few years ago.

I recently got a good deal on an old all-chrome Canon 50mm f1.8 LTM lens, which I am very impressed with. The resolution across the whole frame, even at wider apertures, is much better than the Summitar; that works better for my work, which is largely architectural. I also like the wide focusing ring; easier for me to use than the little focus tab on the Summitar.

These are my first shots with it. These scenes are on Lower Huntington Road in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Waynedale was once a small town, but was absorbed by Fort Wayne in 1957. Though it has been part of the larger city 63 years, it still looks like a small town. Lower Huntington Road was Waynedale's "Main Street." I grew up in Waynedale and moved back here a few years ago.

More fine photos, Chris.

I really liked my somewhat newer version (with the black body and wide focus ring), but it hazed over again after I cleaned it out. The older lenses (Serenars and the no-name chrome bodies) don't have that issue, which makes them a better buy.

I do have an f2.8 black body version that doesn't have the haze issue, and as I recall did fine against the Yashica 50/2.8, so it might find it's way onto the IIIf at times after I get the shutter replaced.

PF

More fine photos, Chris.

I really liked my somewhat newer version (with the black body and wide focus ring), but it hazed over again after I cleaned it out. The older lenses (Serenars and the no-name chrome bodies) don't have that issue, which makes them a better buy.

I do have an f2.8 black body version that doesn't have the haze issue, and as I recall did fine against the Yashica 50/2.8, so it might find it's way onto the IIIf at times after I get the shutter replaced.

PF

That's why I bought a Chrome Canon 50/1.8. I'd read a lot about the haze problems with the black lenses and didnt want to deal with it. I've seen some claim that the black 50/1.8 is sharper than the chrome one, but I can't imagine how it could be any better than the one I have, which is incredibly good. They're supposed to have the same optical design anyway.

I also have a chrome Canon 135mm f4. That's one of the lenses that O.C. gave me with the Leica IIIf. It is also incredibly sharp.

That's why I bought a Chrome Canon 50/1.8. I'd read a lot about the haze problems with the black lenses and didnt want to deal with it. I've seen some claim that the black 50/1.8 is sharper than the chrome one, but I can't imagine how it could be any better than the one I have, which is incredibly good. They're supposed to have the same optical design anyway.

I also have a chrome Canon 135mm f4. That's one of the lenses that O.C. gave me with the Leica IIIf. It is also incredibly sharp.

Same design, but different glass, and therein lies the reason for the hazing. Leica had the same issue when they used some special glass for one of the elements in an early version of the 50mm Summicron if I have the facts straight. It tended to absorb water, and was impossible to keep clean.

PF

Same design, but different glass, and therein lies the reason for the hazing. Leica had the same issue when they used some special glass for one of the elements in an early version of the 50mm Summicron if I have the facts straight. It tended to absorb water, and was impossible to keep clean.

PF

Interesting. I didn't know any glass could absorb water. I'll stick to the chrome lenses from Canon then. Both of mine are great.

Here's another photo from the 90mm Elmar:

2019-garage-star.jpg

A Christmas decoration on a garage behind an old house in Fort Wayne.

12-27-19-scout-1.jpg

A low-light shot!

Scout is one of the two cats at Hyde Brothers Books in Fort Wayne, Indiana. She used to be really thin, though her long hair made her look fluffy. In the last year or so before I made this photograph of her, she began to gain weight and is now quite fat, just like the other cat who lives at the store.

Leica IIIf and 50mm f2 Summitar on Ilford Delta 3200 at EI-3200.

2020-01-26-0004-crop2.jpg

An old house in the small town of Churubusco, Indiana.

50mm f2 Leica Summitar lens on Ilford Delta 400.

2020-01-25-0003-crop.jpg

An old house in the small town of Garrett, Indiana.

50mm f1.8 Canon lens on Ilford Delta 400.

2020-01-26-0008.jpg

50mm Summitar on Tmax 400.

2020-01-26-0006.jpg

35mm Elmar on Tmax 400.

Both photos above were shot last month on Main Street in the small town of Hicksville, Ohio.

I have an old Hektor 50mm f/2.5 LTM that produces sometimes nice shots in B+W.

Erik.

48009790102_2548f7e3b2_b.jpg

I like the cat, makes the picture! The Hektor is a very early Leica lens, the original 'fast' 50mm from Leitz, before the Summar and the even later Summitar. I rarely see photos taken with it because they seem to be either collectors items or badly scratched up and not used.

Back