Kentmere 400, latest samples

Yossi, I was following your threads about D-23 over on Photrio. Now that you've made and used the D-23, what is your opinion of it?

Yossi, I was following your threads about D-23 over on Photrio. Now that you've made and used the D-23, what is your opinion of it?

Hello Zathros. Nice meeting you here:)

I have just developed my first roll of Kentmere 400 in D-23 (but silly me used the incorrect dilution of 1+3). The picture posted above is one from that roll. I think D-23 is a fine grain developer but contrast is on the low side (especially at 1+3). I shot with a VC28mm lens which is a contrasty lens so the end result still look ok-ish to my eyes.

I might try to add a bit of Borax into the D-23 and see if the contrast could be boosted a little.

yossi

yossi, I like your image very much. The shadows have good detail and the high values have detail. I don't see soot and chalk. I use D-23 at 1:1 and I have been replenishing at 1:1. It has a different look than many developers and if you add time you have a hard time loosing highlight detail. Keep experimenting.

yossi, I like your image very much. The shadows have good detail and the high values have detail. I don't see soot and chalk. I use D-23 at 1:1 and I have been replenishing at 1:1. It has a different look than many developers and if you add time you have a hard time loosing highlight detail. Keep experimenting.

Hi AgBr,

Thanks for your encouragement and tips. I will experiment more. Yes, D-23 is a simple and great developer. Fun to use too as it is so flexible.

Hi AgBr,

Thanks for your encouragement and tips. I will experiment more. Yes, D-23 is a simple and great developer. Fun to use too as it is so flexible.

If you look at some of Saint Adams images he used D-23 with great success. D-23 has a slightly different look than many developers on the market today. Not good for every thing but still usable.

Is anyone using 1d11 to process, first time shooting so following guide 1+3 25.30 mins which is quite long compared to Hp5 and trix negs came out too heavy not great for scanning.
Any advice welcome.

Shot from a roll of Kentmere 400 that was gifted to me earlier this year.

CW220911.jpg

CW220919.jpg

Commemorations around Operation Market-Garden 2022.

Hey Dourbalistar, Do you have any experience pushing Kentmere 400 using LC110 developer? I would sometimes like a higher iso but I don't want to buy a different developer. thanks ---john.

Hey Dourbalistar, Do you have any experience pushing Kentmere 400 using LC110 developer? I would sometimes like a higher iso but I don't want to buy a different developer. thanks ---john.

jbrubaker, unfortunately, no experience pushing Kentmere Pan 400. So far, I've only used it at box speed using LegacyPro L100 developer. If I need a bit if extra speed, I bring out the fast lenses, like the Nikkor-S 55/1.2. :D

Back