Kentmere 400, latest samples

I got an update from Ilford this morning that said Kentmere 100 and 400 are now available in 120 format. That seems good news for those who like to or need to standardise.

Marty

How do you think it compares to something like HP5? Ilford is promoting it as a 'budget' film, but does the final image quality suffer as a result?

Now that it's being introduced in 120 format, I'm tempted to give it a try.

How do you think it compares to something like HP5? Ilford is promoting it as a 'budget' film, but does the final image quality suffer as a result?

Now that it's being introduced in 120 format, I'm tempted to give it a try.

Kentmere 400 has lower base speed, is less sharp, resolves less and is grainier than HP5+. But it is not bad in any of those characteristics. Kentmere responds more slowly to changes in development than HP5+, which is a good thing if you want flexibility. It dries flatter, too. Will image quality suffer? Depends how you quantify image quality. A lot of the photots in this thread look better to me than if they were taken on HP5+.

Marty

According to Ilford:
The Kentmere films contain less silver so are lower in price. They do push but don't have quite as wide an exposure latitude as the Ilford equivalents. We also find them a little more contrasty.

I guess less silver content manifests in what Freakscene describes. Kentmere 400 also has less anti-halation backing, so very bright highlights will glow a bit. Depending on your preferences, that's either a feature or a bug. I've posted some recent 35mm image samples in this thread, so assuming that the 120 version is the same emulsion just cut to a larger size, you can get an idea of how the film performs. In any case,Vince Lupo, from what I've seen of your work here on the forum, I think you'll get excellent results. :D

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2022.07.13 Roll #313-07256-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Back