Kentmere 400, latest samples

I won't speak for Highway 61, but Kodak reformulated Tri-X in 2007 and gave it a new designation, 400TX. So the current Tri-X available today is not the same Tri-X of yore. Some of our venerable and seasoned RFF members (I won't say old ;)) may prefer the prior formulation.

Thanks Dourbalistar - i haven't shot the old Tri-X, only the more recent 400TX.

Found a roll of this laying around so shot it this past week

EI 320
Vestal Divided D76 5+5 constant agitation
50mm Collapsible Cron and 50mm ZM Sonnar

These look great, Chris. What do you think about your results, and do you think you'll use more of this film?

These look great, Chris. What do you think about your results, and do you think you'll use more of this film?

I am happy with the results. They have some grain which is totally fine. That’s my first time using that particular developer. It’s 400 speed film so to expect anything less is unreasonable. I think when HP5 was at $80 per 100 ft I would have gotten that rather than the Kentmere. However, I see HP5 bulk roll is now over $100, which makes the Kentmere a far more attractive option. What sorta sold it for me was this YouTube video, which in print even he says there’s not much difference. I personally think his testing is hands down the best and most comparative of any I’ve seen.

https://youtu.be/jIiTR2-3qu8

Ill probably test it with a densitometer when I bulk load though and shoot the crap out of it, but the guy above mentions he got full speed and I trust his methods. Maybe my camera is different and I’ll shoot at 250/320?

I am happy with the results. They have some grain which is totally fine. That’s my first time using that particular developer. It’s 400 speed film so to expect anything less is unreasonable. I think when HP5 was at $80 per 100 ft I would have gotten that rather than the Kentmere. However, I see HP5 bulk roll is now over $100, which makes the Kentmere a far more attractive option. What sorta sold it for me was this YouTube video, which in print even he says there’s not much difference. I personally think his testing is hands down the best and most comparative of any I’ve seen.

https://youtu.be/jIiTR2-3qu8

Ill probably test it with a densitometer when I bulk load though and shoot the crap out of it, but the guy above mentions he got full speed and I trust his methods. Maybe my camera is different and I’ll shoot at 250/320?

I was also shocked when I saw the current price of bulk HP5+. :eek: I'm still feeling out Kentmere 400, but makes me wonder if I should stock up in case prices skyrocket...

Testing trichromy with Kentmere Pan 400. :D

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen #25 Red, #58 Green, and #47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

2021.02.06 Roll #268-05939-positive-trichrome.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

I prefer Kentmere 400 over HP5 or Tri-X (new) in Rodinal 1:50.
It seems more forgiving in that developer and I like the grain structure

Nikon F801s with a 100 years old Goerz Telegor 6.3/240mm @f/6.3
Developed in Wehner (a modern Atomal 49 successor)

51120132774_aa9fe25325_h.jpg

Here´s a sample I made in medium format, the Rollei RPX400 is the Kentmere 400.
Developed in Adox FX-39 II
Mamiya C330 with DIY adypted Leitz Wetzlar Summar 4.5/120mm lenses

51193236488_2970011819_h.jpg

Back