Kiev 2a or 4a

gabrioladude

Local time
1:47 PM
I own a Contax IIa and would like to also shoot RF with a 35mm focal length but don't want to spend the enormous amount required to get one of the lenses which fit this camera so I was thinking of going the FSU route. As you are no doubt aware the Jupiter 12 does not fit my camera.

I already have purchased a Jupiter 12 (yes I was aware before hand it wouldn't fit) and have a 35mm finder on the way but have not yet purchased the camera. Would prefer a Contax II style versus the III style for obvious reasons.

Pictures tell me that the Kiev 2a seem to have better "fit and finish" than the 4a's but is that just my wishful thinking.

Are there any good arguments for one model versus the other. The 4a's seem to be cheaper.

Buying on Ebay can be a bit of a gamble. Is one better off purchasing on Fedka.com

any other words of wisdom prior to making the purchase

thx in advance for your help

I wouldn't have a clue about the Kiev 2A or the 4A. Although me thinks that the reason one would be cheaper than the other are the production numbers of each of these cameras. I do think though it is worth the extra little bit of money to buy from Fedka.com. Ebay is too much of a gamble, that being said i did purchase my Zorki-1 from ebay and had (almost) no problems with it. My purchases for lenses though, will be through Fedka.com.

Cheers

I bought mine off Oleg from okvintagecamera.com (I wrote to him and asked because there wasn't any Kiev 4 on his site at that time). I have used it for a couple of rolls of film and am happy with it. Members from our local photo club had a fondle and thought it was in decent condition also. I have bought a Zorki 1 and Fed 2 from Oleg and have been happy with them. Again one or two rolls through each camera. Ming

Buying any Kiev starts with the question about your readiness to send it for overhaul. Without this readiness you are gambling at high risk, and at a lesser risk if you buy a 4a from DVDTechnik, which will work very so-so. Kindly notice my accurate wording.

Buying a high priced old Kiev ensures nothing, and is gambling at high risk too. You are paying high money because the model is older and is working NOW. But since the price DOES NOT INCLUDE HIGH QUALITY OVERHAUL, (check it in depht), you are also gambling.

Gambling is gambling, it is not just loosing. But it is gambling at high risk (50%).

So the best alternative as I see it is to first contact Oleg Khlayavin from OKvintage Cameras, and ask for the price of an IN-DEPHT CLA and from here start making your accounts. Take into account the possibility of buying a Russian or Ukrainian camera and have it sent directly to Oleg.

Another good venue is a technician living in the US, I think his name is Eddy Smolov who has made many folks happy here around with his CLA.

But I repeat, the CLA is the starting point.

Cheers,
Ruben

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for a 2a i have tre kievs -54 -55 and a -74 the older ones feels nicer and looks better but you have no flash connectios all my cameras are in good working condition and no cla need

The "fit and finish" of the older models is definitely better.
It's surprising why we don't have a sticky thread with illustrated Kiev comparisons.
I have a 4a (60's) and a 4am (80's) and the latter was bought new (then) and had to be repaired right away.
So the newer ones where really sloppily made

I bought a newer 4a from Yuri Boguslavsky at Fedka. It was in fine shape except for light leaks (very common), but Yuri had his tech do a prompt, satisfactory repair. Highly recommended. The Jupiter-12 is a good lens; so is the Helios-103 which is the standard normal lens on the later Kievs.

A CLA is essential on these older cameras.

You might also consider a Contax II. Prices seem down as of late, and I've picked up two for ~$100 each that required CLA's. This is about what a Kiev 2 would cost with shipping from the FSU. So for $175 each, now have two nice Contax II's, freshly CLA'd.

thank you for all of the responses

and Happy Easter to all

Brian, I envy you for finding a Contax II at such a reasonable cost, I have been scrutinizing Ebay for a while now and had a bid in on several but all of the Contax II's which I have seen appear to reach prices over $200. I was hoping to spend less if I could...(but that may be an idle dream).

I would concur in the idea that Fedka is a better bet than evil-bay. Yuri may charge more, but you run a much better chance of getting a camera in decent working order.

My own experience: I bought a Kiev 4a from him. In the process he e-mailed me and told me the lens on the advertised camera had "slight cleaning marks" and he was sending another lens, which turned out to be a Helios 103. Lo and behold, the camera arrived with BOTH lenses!!

I also have a couple of older Kievs that I purchased on ebay. I personally happen to like the looks of the 4a better - I think the meterless models just look better. And given the chances of reliability on those old meters, what real good are they?

wow I thought this thread had died a long time ago

since I started it I guess I can continue it for a while....

will answer the previous poster's question but give you an update first

in addition to my Contax IIa I am now the proud owner of a Kiev 4a which I purchased from Shelley-Ann another RFF member who lives here in Toronto at a very fair price. Have shot a roll through it and am happy with the results

was successful on Ebay with a Contax II that was clean but needed shutter work. Eddie Smolov just phoned me yesterday and said he is shipping it back. Apparently the viewfinder, which I knew was dim, had fungus and it definitely needed shutter work.

Eddie quoted me $85 for the CLA plus $20 for shipping

looking forward to getting the camera and using it...

this "vintage camera stuff" is an addiction, have also purchased a "universal finder" and a 135mm Kiev lens..

Sounds like you did well. If you're expanding your lens collection, don't miss out on the 85mm f/2 Jupiter-9. I think it's one of the best FSU lenses, especially for portrait work.

Brachal you have some nice shots on flickr
how come you don't indicate which camera and lens you are using in your tags

it is always of interest to me...

I love my '51 Kiev II ... but then I found a UK imported late Kiev 4a ... boxed , passport , Uk manual , mint , perfect case ... yes , less well finished , but a '' new '' Kiev !
All my preconceptions blown away - I had to buy a mnt boxed Leningrad II to complement it !
What will happen when my Kiev shuttered ex-bitsa Contax II arrives I hesitate to think !

Kiev's vf is tiny but comparing to large vf of Zorki 4 it's still easier to focus due to more contrasty patch and much more accurate rangefinder (longer base). I'd say that Zorki 4 better fits my hands but overall I like Kiev more.

Back