Kiev 2a or 4a

That is true, blaze. Even though my Kiev 2 has a smaller finder than my Zorki 3-C, the Kiev is A LOT easier to focus!

i had all possible versions of fsu cameras, canon p, leica m4 and contax. so from my experience - both kiev II and kiev 4 and super smooth and easy to focus. my kievs are much more silent than any of the camers i had. if you dont mind the small viewfinder you will be super happy with any of kievs. the later kiev 4
versions with black plastic rewind button are slightly louder but i never saw any problems with them.
many people will tell you that QC was bad in SSSR but the problem is not in QC but in conditions cameras were stored in. when someone has leica he cuddles it and all and russian cameras were found mostly in flea markets and kept often in really bad conditions last 30 years or totlaly unused. so if you buy from anyone who was at least using camera a bit - you wont feel any difference between contax,leica or kiev or any other fsu camera in general.

Yes, the Kiev 2a was more to Contax II fit and finish and the Kiev 2 even more so. Any Kiev 4a from 1972 and earlier is also a decent camera, but these are old cameras now so condition matters and many will need a CLA and new shutter ribbons.

My 1972 Kiev 4a works perfectly, was most likely recently serviced. My 1957 Kiev 2- also works well, I did a CLA on it.

More important to find one that was recently serviced by a good technician. Who ever did the Kiev 4a - thorough job, as smooth as my serviced Contax II. Better than my Kiev 2.

Oleg fixed the shutter on my Kiev IIa about fifteen years ago. Still works well. He charged me forty bucks. He can't do it at that price today, but I think his prices have stayed pretty close to simple inflation.

Back