Knife culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok - I've tried to discuss knife crime with you. You've introduced paedophiles, gun crime in the USA, and now Bill Hicks.

Please - stick to the topic - knives.

Or cameras.

Okay - knives - in my experience juveniles are fascinated with them. Discuss.

I am 67 and own a few knives for different reasons. I have owned knives since I am 7 years old. I have taught courses to all ages and gender on the safe use of knives for self defense. Owning a knife is a personal choice and to be respected whether you own one or not. But to refer to knife ownership as being the fascination of a juvenile is the definition of a fool. Countless lives have been saved by the proper and responsible use of a knife in threatening situations. And the same goes for other modes of defense protected in the USA by the Second Amendment.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving

"...So living in the US you are 138 times more likely to be murdered with a firearm than in the UK. Not twice as likely, not three times...A HUNDRED AND THIRTY EIGHT TIMES MORE LIKELY! Sheesh...."

And no matter where you live, you have a 100% chance of eventually dying of something. Don't dwell on it. Life's short...enjoy it.

I am 67 and own a few knives for different reasons. I have owned knives since I am 7 years old. I have taught courses to all ages and gender on the safe use of knives for self defense. Owning a knife is a personal choice and to be respected whether you own one or not. But to refer to knife ownership as being the fascination of a juvenile is the definition of a fool. Countless lives have been saved by the proper and responsible use of a knife in threatening situations. And the same goes for other modes of defense protected in the USA by the Second Amendment.

I'm afraid you're mixing up your logic. I didn't say that knife owners are juveniles. I said juveniles are fascinated by knives. Quite a different thing.

For instance, in my experience Juvenile boys are fascinated by busty women. It doesn't follow that men married to busty women are juveniles.

The second amendment...seeing as you brought it up, I have to ask: how do you feel that's working out for you as a nation? How many thousands dead so far this year? Still a month to go, so time for plenty more mass shootings:

https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data

I must be a real fool .... I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps, 1969 through 1975. Have a umber of blades for various purposes and have more than one gun. Sorry for getting off point.

Can it be that you are living in a world of stereotypes?

Can it be that you don't understand an analogy?...

"Analogy" - noun
A comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
"an analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies"

A correspondence or partial similarity.
"the syndrome is called deep dysgraphia because of its analogy to deep dyslexia"

A thing which is comparable to something else in significant respects.
"works of art were seen as an analogy for works of nature"

LOGIC:
A process of arguing from similarity in known respects to similarity in other respects.
"argument from analogy"

Synonyms: similarity, parallel, parallelism, correspondence, likeness, resemblance, correlation, relation, kinship, equivalence, similitude, symmetry, homology
antonyms: dissimilarity

Had an extra pocket today, threw in the Leatherman Micra.

The Micra replaces the pliers with scissors and often I find myself wishing for pliers rather than scissors.

Also not posted above is that I have a slew of Victorinox Classic's slewn around the house in various places for when I could use them for tweezers or their scissors.

IMO the classic's scissors are perfect for little things. Sharp, small. Great for trimming nails or cutting thread. I find the Micra's scissors to be a little to big and too dull to complete the same everyday tasks.

My father carries a classic ALWAYS in his pocket. He has gifted them to me many times in stockings around christmas time as a kid. They are a great tool and come in a variety of colors and variations that I like.

Countless lives have been saved by the proper and responsible use of a knife in threatening situations. And the same goes for other modes of defense protected in the USA by the Second Amendment.

I have to respond to this for a second time, hang on...

Ha ha ha haaaaa, oooo, ha ha hee haa!! Haaaa! Oh please I can't stop! Ha haaa ha ha ha ha ha haaa ha, he heee! Haaaaaaaaa haaa! Oh my goodness, a bit of my drink has come out of my nose!! Haaaaaaa ha ha ha! Ho ho haa ha ha he he haaaaa! Ha ha haaa! Ha ha ha haaaaa, oooo, ha ha hee haa!! Haaaa! Ha ha ha ha haaa ha, he heee! Oh good god...Haaa ha ha! He Heeeeeeeeee!

Oh my aching sides.

That really was the best laugh I've had in weeks.

I had a Case collection of ratty old garage sale and junk store knives. I'd polish them up and make them decent looking in the display. Very relaxing hobby. Gave the brunt of the collection to my son. He was honored, I was a little puzzled, the stuff wasn't that good. But it was his dad's I suppose that was the value.

He was honored, I was a little puzzled, the stuff wasn't that good. But it was his dad's I suppose that was the value.

And on a lighter note, yes it was because it was your's. :)

My dad gave me his old scrappy Fed4 and despite owning a truckload of lovely cameras, it would be the first and only one I would grab if there was a fire (after the dog and missus of course!)

Hi Darthfeeble,

I referred to knife crime because FujiLove brought it up. Before then we were all having a good discussion about knives.

He gives bleeding heart liberals a bad name.
I'll bet he voted against Brexit too - if he's old enough.

You are all missing the most important and salient question: What bag do you use to carry your knives in? ;)

I have long forgotten what the original question was, but in case it is of interest, a few (yes few) mails merit additional info.

Splitting logs: not only do I have several good shots (=pictures) of flying fractured wood, but I have also found that when the log is heavier than the axe it is best to turn the axe upside down and let its weight do the work.

Swiss v\s German pocket knives: no pictures, but i find that an about 100 years old Solingen with scissors etc. that I inherited, is less useful than my only 30 years old Victorinox. Yes , nickel-chrome steel is assumed not to take as sharp an edge as mere carbon steel, but it does have more useful blades.

Opinels: Very sharp, simple and useful.

Swedish laws on knives and picknicks: years ago I occasionally used to stay in Lund. Probably wore my knife when hiking. No problem. In Norway I assume that if I used an Opinel to cut bread and cheese in a city park that would be regarded as a legal use. If not, I would encourage the copper to dicussthe matter with my lawyers.

One final point hich has not been covered yet; in these parts, the intricately embossed sheaths are as assiduously sought by knife collectors as the blades.

As with cameras, (except for an early fascination with Alpas) I have managed to only keep what I find useful, so I am quite content with a few battered but workable specimens from good smiths, no fancy sheats.

p.

Can it be that you don't understand an analogy?...

"Analogy" - noun
A comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

A correspondence or partial similarity.
"the syndrome is called deep dysgraphia because of its analogy to deep dyslexia"

A thing which is comparable to something else in significant respects.
"works of art were seen as an analogy for works of nature"

LOGIC:
A process of arguing from similarity in known respects to similarity in other respects.
"argument from analogy"

Synonyms: similarity, parallel, parallelism, correspondence, likeness, resemblance, correlation, relation, kinship, equivalence, similitude, symmetry, homology
antonyms: dissimilarity
Do not attempt to conflate a list of dictionary definitions with an argument.

Until this attempt at "argument by dictionary" you have evidenced little but fear in all your posts so far. This is not "amateur psychoanalysis". I haven't the faintest idea what you're like the rest of the time, but several others have pointed out that on the evidence of what you have posted here, you are effectively phobic when it comes to knives, and will miss no opportunity to denigrate anyone who disagrees with you, usually on the feeblest of grounds. I mean, "juveniles" and "busty women"? This is pitiful.

Cheers,

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back