Kodak changes logo, looses brand identity

Is there some significance to having a photo with one foot on one color and one on the other? Is that like one foot in the grave? or what? Curious to see how other photogs read that image.

Anyway, I like what he said about dropping the "film mentality" with digital. Give me something new and different to shoot with that goes beyond what film can do, not just in the resolution or noise or grain - these are all "film mentality" and I am perfectly happy with my film cameras and film.

I want to see a lot more innovation in digital doing things in the APPLICATION mode that are much more difficult with film or maybe not even possible. Perhaps that's the idea with the two lens camera. Give me one lens like a 24mm sharp everywhere, and another that is 85mm to 105mm with beautiful bokeh, and in a shirt pockatable package that is total silent and works without flash indoors and out, and I'm interested.

Give me another that's optimized just for black and white, with adjustable filters, sensitivities, contrast ratios and uploadable curves.

I am probably just dreaming...

paulfitz said:
Is there some significance to having a photo with one foot on one color and one on the other? Is that like one foot in the grave? or what? Curious to see how other photogs read that image.

Jack of all trades, master of none...

Andy K said:
This was just posted over on APUG. Kodak's Strategy. It seems that if you want to invest in a company that cares about film you best find someone other than kodak.

STONE: Is the worst of the pain behind Kodak as it adapts to the digital world?
PEREZ: In 2003 we announced a four-year plan, and we have now passed two and a half. If I'm a long-distance runner, I am getting the second wind you get when you can sense the finish line ahead. But we still have one hard year ahead of us.
source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10755434/site/newsweek/

The CEO sounds dorky.
banana.gif
Second wind has nothing to do with sensing the finish line ahead. It's all about your body's ability to produce adenine triphosphate.

R.J.

Andy K said:
This was just posted over on APUG. Kodak's Strategy. It seems that if you want to invest in a company that cares about film you best find someone other than kodak.

Unfortunately, if you were an investor, you'd be pretty silly to put your money into a company that cares about film. Kodak's doing what investors want, maximising profits.

paulfitz said:

060107_Leader_vl.widec.jpg

Oh, that's the long distance runner CEO. The idea for that photo must have been cooked up by the same marketing gurus who designed the new logo. Does he look like he's narcissistic? Delusional? :p

R.J.

As long as Tri-X, any slide film and Super 8 film is available I am happy with Kodak whatever the logo.

paulfitz said:

060107_Leader_vl.widec.jpg

Here's another interpretation. :D Notice the wrinkles in the CEO's suit. It looks like he just woke up from a nap. He was playing the game Twister...

twister.jpg
...and someone took all the circles except for the two he's standing on. This symbolizes the shrinking market for film and the digitial camera symbolizes the portal for entering the digital age. The wrinkled suit represents the old adage you snooze... you lose.

R.J.

RJBender - I love your take on the two-color photo! I laughed like crazy. Maybe the theme IS Twister and they have been playing so long they are now so skilled at putting their heads up their collective you-know-what's! :)

I just realized the colors of the circles are Kodak Red and Kodak Yellow. My ex used to work in their in-plant printing facility, and the those K red and K yellow colors were so strictly QC'd - they are special mix pigments just for them!

So he's stepping all over the Kodak colors?

Maybe George is spinning for sure now!

This image is just to tempting to photoshop, but that's another website!

paulfitz said:
RJBender - I love your take on the two-color photo! I laughed like crazy. Maybe the theme IS Twister and they have been playing so long they are now so skilled at putting their heads up their collective you-know-what's! :)

I just realized the colors of the circles are Kodak Red and Kodak Yellow. My ex used to work in their in-plant printing facility, and the those K red and K yellow colors were so strictly QC'd - they are special mix pigments just for them!

So he's stepping all over the Kodak colors?

Maybe George is spinning for sure now!

This image is just to tempting to photoshop, but that's another website!

Paul,

Yep, that's like standing on the flag or something.
LOL :p I hope he had a good nap.

R.J.

I don’t know if this article captures all the Kodak logo changes, but interesting reading nonetheless - especially their RGB/Pantone color scheme towards the bottom of the article:

Another vote for 1987-2006.

I also like the logo on the Nikon F, the Canon F-1, and the Minoltas of the 1960’s such as the SRT-101. When they all changed their logos, I was sure they’d broken something in the camera.

All Kodak would have to do to make me happy is to bring back Plus X and keep making Tri-X. And I have not been seeing XTOL developer in my local store for a while, now. I like XTOL. Amazon has it for $24.99 for a 5 liter pack, but says it's temporarily out of stock. Last time I bought some, it was more like $10 or so.

All Kodak would have to do to make me happy is to bring back Plus X and keep making Tri-X. And I have not been seeing XTOL developer in my local store for a while, now. I like XTOL. Amazon has it for $24.99 for a 5 liter pack, but says it's temporarily out of stock. Last time I bought some, it was more like $10 or so.
You can buy "LegacyPro-EcoPro Ascorbic Acid developer" from Freestyle, which is their version of Xtol. I've tried it in the past, and it works well.

Jim B.

Kodak reformulated Xtol when they shifted manufacture from Germany (Tetenal) to the US. I like the new Xtol less; its pH changes less with dilution - I think the alkaline buffer is different.
You can buy "LegacyPro-EcoPro Ascorbic Acid developer" from Freestyle, which is their version of Xtol. I've tried it in the past, and it works well.

Jim B.
Pretty sure this product and ‘new’ Xtol are identical.

I like Adox XT-3 best of the current ascorbate developers. Whoever formulated it understood that the pH needed to be ‘weakly alkaline’ but to become more alkaline with dilution or the 1+2 and 1+3 dilutions don’t work as well. Moersch Eco Film Developer is also good.

Marty

Because some of us still shoot that film. I enjoy ColorPlus when I can get a roll, even Gold 400 is nice. I miss Fuji Superia Extra 400. The new USA made Fujicolor I like, just shot my first roll of it.
I understand you are new, and this is a risk with zombie threads, but Jon Claremont died in 2009, so he won’t respond 🙄

Guilty :)

While we're at it, a link for Kodak Brand licensing: 😆

Back