Konica LTM Konica 35/2 UC-Hexanon LTM

Konica M39 lenses
Johan, your website post about the UC-Hex was, what I stumbled upon, when I researched the sample, I ended up buying ;-)

Thanks for the post!

I am just a very few days in using the UC-Hexanon, but man, I do love this little lens!

So far, I had no real chance of shooting with it, but had it always with me, to grab some shots, if I can:

L1000043-M9%20Digital%20Camera-35%20f2%20UC-Hexanon%20-%20flower%20pot.jpg

L1000074-M9%20Digital%20Camera-35%20f2%20UC-Hexanon%20-%20portrait%20-%20women%20in%20red%20dress.jpg

L1000036-M9%20Digital%20Camera-35%20f2%20UC-Hexanon%20-%20Casio%20G-Shock.jpg

L1000107-M9%20Digital%20Camera-35%20f2%20UC-Hexanon%20LTM%20-%20loaded%20motorcycle.jpg

I had forgotten this thread

I had forgotten this thread

I re-read the whole thing last night.

A sample. Kodachrome. Probably f/8.0 so no bouquet. Click the small photo.

Wayne

Very nice sample pics of the 35mm.

Does anyone here still uses the Konica Hexanon 60mm 1.2? ;) If so, let me know!

Such a hard lens to find, but it's no surprise...

Looking for this lovely lens :)

Looking for this lovely lens :)

Resurrecting this thread because I've been looking around for this lens for quite a while! I know there's some available on ebay but the prices seem a little unreasonable as compared to what they were sold for at first.

Resurrecting this thread because I've been looking around for this lens for quite a while! I know there's some available on ebay but the prices seem a little unreasonable as compared to what they were sold for at first.

There are things in life, that are just as they are.
In my opinion, the UC-Hex easily is worth the high prices on eBay - honestly.

I have a few 35mm lenses and for some strange reason, the UC-Hex is the one, I prefer over all of the others.

If I need closer focussing (seldom), I take a Summilux ASPH.
If I want a more vintage look, I take a 3.5cm Elmar.
If I want to shoot in darkness, the Voigtlander 35/1.2 is an option.

If one seeks a fast 35mm on a budget, in my opinion one of the nicest lenses, little more can buy is the Canon 35/2 LTM - you can't beat this lens for the money!

The UC-Hex punches far over it's weight and values easily for the high going prices on eBay.
Heck, even the less well made Leica 35 Summilux pre ASPH are more expensive (comparing second hand v4 with brand-new UC-Hex prices)!

Just as an aside: I find the UC-Hex to have A LOT of similarities in imaging to the W-Nikkor 35/1.8 (which in my book is possibly THE most beautifully rendering 35mm in it's combination of characteristics).

I would call a UC-Hex a bargain, that goes for less than the Nikkor, as on top of it's nicer built, it is also a lens, that is a lot better as a regular user!

Dirk,

Would you consider the UC-Hex a better daily user over the W-Nikkor just for size only, or do other aspects come into play too?

Just curious...

...comparing the W-Nikkor + UC-Hex with pictures:

UC-Hex:

- lighter
- slightly more compact
- better in regards of flare
- more balanced contrast (not as bitingly sharp and contrasty)
- smoother bokeh
- standard filter thread E43
- tighter built quality (best aperture control ring ever - on any lens)
- veeeeery smooth focus feel
- focusses slightly closer

W-Nikkor:
- higher price in LTM mount (you get a brand new in box UC-Hex for less than a W-Nikkor in user condition)
- uncommon old Nikon filter thread (fine 43mm)
- more cramped controls (with lens hood get's tight between hood and camera body)
- more "harsh" bokeh
- extremely sharp and contrasty (less smooth)

comparison shots:

W-Nikkor:

at IKEA - portrait by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

The world famous sharpness of the W-Nikkor:

35 ƒ1.8 W-Nikkor LTM - first shots - portrait by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

35 f1.8 W-Nikkor LTM - first shots - portrait - crop 2-1 by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

That last crop is a 2:1 crop and still new detail is revealed at this magnification - this blew me away, when I saw it first with my own eyes!
The W-Nikkor is an amazing technical feat, that kept eclipsing competitors lenses up into the 1990's !!! No wonder this lens has such a strong following. In my opinion, this and the rangefinder Nikkor 105/2.5 are the most impressive lenses of their time in regards of modern look, detail and contrast - while other lenses are amazing as well, these two really stand out and still today have a very modern look to them.

Wanting to ad: if price, size and usability is considered, I would vote hands down for the UC-Hex.
I use mine without a lens hood and most of the time get away with this even in extreme light (the Nikkor flares much, much stronger, which is to be expected).
A lens hood with the Nikkor in my opinion is mandatory, making the UC-Hex in use indeed the smallest, fast 35mm ƒ2 lens available - a great package with a compact camera!

Would anyone know if it's possible to acquire the original hood and lens caps for this lens? I didn't get them with my used copy, my guess is they're unobtainable but if someone has a clue, let me know! #449 needs a hat! ;)

I think you would have to go back to the source. Does the Konica camera division even exist anymore?
There are folks in Japan on this forum. Maybe one of them will have information.
A generic LTM rear cap works. Same with 43mm on the front. Rainbowimaging and Heavystar have generic vented 43mm hoods.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would anyone know if it's possible to acquire the original hood and lens caps for this lens? I didn't get them with my used copy, my guess is they're unobtainable but if someone has a clue, let me know! #449 needs a hat! ;)

This is precisely the reason why I left my accessories from this lens untouched, brand new in the box.
I use a B+W 007 XS-Pro filter at all times instead of a lens hood (too keep fingers from the front element) and use a Cosina adapter and Leica rear cap (I only use mine on M mount cameras).

Konica accessories are impossible to find - I am looking for the original lens cap of my 21-35 Dual since forever.

Usually with these rare Konica lenses the only way to complete the item with original accessories is to buy a second complete set and sell you incomplete one :bang:

A few shots with the UC-Hex:
portrait - worker by Dirk Steffen, on Flickr

Untitled by Dirk Steffen, on Flickr

Spectacular GAS happening. What a triumvirate Dirk!!

Haha ;-)
Its a several years old pic - reminds me I have to update the photo :D

The reason for this is pretty simple - I searched for some years for THE PERFECT 35mm lens an tried many, many different 35mm lenses in the process.
When I came to the 35/1.8 W-Nikkor I was completely hooked - I absolutely adore this optical design and of course had to try it's close siblings in the process.
The UC-Hex became my user 35mm over the years and is today probably my most favorite lens of them all for it's usability, modern, compact design and lovely balance in character.

Jon has taught me that the original W-Nikkor 3.5cm 1.8 is far superior when it comes to distortion and the W-Nikkor has some quirks and characters (which too I absolutely love) but the UC-Hex is just like such an all around great lens (and still in 2017 so extremely undervalued although prices have risen slightly).
It really is amazing how people really pay more money for diverse 35/2 Summicron lenses when these 35mm Nikkors and Konica lenses are around :p

I suspected as much (with regard to finding the original accessories). It doesn't really bother me much as I too don't use the hood and I leave a filter on the front as well. I'm also using it on M bodies (it pretty much stays on my MP).

It's not too big of a deal in the long run unless I ever decided to sell the lens. I love the signature of it (having been an enormous fan of the Hexar AF previously) though I'm still adjusting to the .9m MFD, it's such a small difference but I seem to keep running into it. My other lenses are all .7m or closer.

Either way, it is indeed a super special lens!

Abram, the UC-Hex is not a lens I have been inside yet.
Although I do think not much can be done about the 0.9m close focus limit (the lens is VERY compact and I suspect that may limit it's close focus range) sometimes one can massage just a fraction more focus distance out of a lens depending how it's close focus limited is designed.

As you are in the US, you might get in touch with Sherry Krauter or Don Goldberg and ask if they have prior experience on one of these lenses and if they know that expanding the close focus is a modification that could be done.

I too think that a 0.7m version of this lens would simply be perfection although by now I got used to it's 0.9m limit as most of the time this is just as close as I would go with a 35mm focal length - go any closer than that and noses simply grow just too big of a potato to be any flattering ;-)

Back