latest additions to your library

Rembrandt on Rembrandt, the Self Portraits, by Pascal Bonafoux. Abrams. An exploration of the many many self portraits of Rembrandt, the etchings, paintings, pen and ink, their purpose, commercial, their background, religious, historical. In the introduction he is disparaging of the overblown exhibition catalogues speaking of the exploration of the soul etc. It is erudite, rich and restrained, full of questions rather than conclusions. Quite unique and very rewarding.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 8.27.09 pm.png

I’ve just finished reading, Visual Thinking by Temple Grandin. It talks of the hidden gifts of people who think in pictures, patterns, and abstractions.

A fascinating read, as I feel that I’m a visual thinker. It probably influences my photography, and looking back was a tremendous asset when I used to design science gadgets. We’re a group who is visually centred with photography so this may be of interest.

"Sunkissed 85" By Photographer and Friend Zoe Wiseman, 20 year collection of art nudes shoot on 4x5 Polaroid Type 85 Positive/Negative film in which she uses the sun to solarize the negatives as part of the development process

The text is good as well I now find, a bit like the Stephen Shore Road Trip Journal, receipts tickets passes etc all interesting.
A requisition to Nat Geo Aug 89 for film to Nuristan, Afghanistan:
Kodachrome 64 x 250 rolls, 20x Ektachrome 200 20x Ektachrome 400,
Lens tissue and batteries for Nikon FM cameras.

Ok, I finally got Winogrand Color. I ordered it three times before finally getting it (after having two orders cancelled). I understand the criticism some have about this book. I really do. When I saw the 100s and 100s of colors photos at this exhibit Garry Winogrand: Color of course you remember what you want to remember and I remembered a lot that I liked. A few of them made it into this book, but many did not. It is ok. I am glad to finally have a book of this work after 4 years. I think we will see better books of this work in the future.

That said, you have to realize what we are looking at in a historical context regarding color photography in the art world and specifically for personal work (or non commercial work). Eggleston and Shore´s color work were both first shown in the 70s basically. Eggleston had been making some of the photos in the 60s, but I believe Shore´s were all early 70s at the earliest. The photos in this Winogrand book were from 1950 to 1969. That really puts him as being as early as Saul Leiter, which is very early for color photography in the non commercial world. AND, these are his secondary photos. It was not his concentration since B&W was. There is still some good work here and I think in context historically, it is worth looking at and putting aside the fact that there is no concept binding them all together other than them all being made by Winogrand.

putting aside the fact that there is no concept binding them all together other than them all being made by Winogrand.

Good to hear feedback from the exhibit to book, I feel, as quoted, this was ever the case with Winogrand in that "binding them all together" was always a later construct post shooting with shooting just being the primary motivation.

Good to hear feedback from the exhibit to book, I feel, as quoted, this was ever the case with Winogrand in that "binding them all together" was always a later construct post shooting with shooting just being the primary motivation.
For sure, but Lee Friedlander took the same approach and just simplified his themes.

Teju Cole - Pharmakon

Two more:

TurnLey.McClellanSt.001 by J Allen, on Flickr

Turnley, David and Peter "McClellan Street." ‎ Indiana University Press; First Edition (October 1, 2007). 128 pages
ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0253349672

and
HongKongYesturdayFanHo.001 by J Allen, on Flickr
Ho, Fan "Hong Kong Yesterday." Modernbook Editions; 1st edition. 112 pages ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0977882837

Brandt, Nick "On This Earth: Photographs from east Africa." Chronicle Books (January 1, 2005) (Not first edition). 129 pages. ISBN: 9780811848657
NBrandt.OnThisEarth.001 by J Allen, on Flickr

Erand, Susan "The Errand of the Eye: Photographs by Rose Mandel ". Prestel (June 10, 2013). 128 pages
ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 3791353055

IMG_2860 by J Allen, on Flickr

Back