Leica Digilux 2, Tell me about it.

Blake, ive been glued to it.

Which is not helping GAS one bit.

Now ill proly spend my birthday tomorrow making classifieds.

It was one of my favorite cameras - well actually I preferred the Panasonic version, the LC1. Easier to hold and operate for me. Had one or two of each over the years.

People have mentioned the lens; it was wonderful. Lag wasn't so bad if you set it up manually instead of on auto. The other thing it had that no one has done better since, besides the lens, was the quality of the jpegs it produced (at base ISO or maybe 200).

When I look through my old pics and come across some from it, I still get the urge to get another one. But, for me, it would be hard to go back to the lack of resolution of the 5MP, 2/3" sensor. As Sean Reid would say, it's a sketch camera, though it made the most of what it had.

Hmm, as I write this I'm looking at a 12x18 print on the wall that was from it. from a few feet away it looks pretty good . . .

i'm sorry, i must be misinterperting your statement. you don't mean that no camera since the digi2 puts out better jpegs, do you? because not only does the 6mp rd1 produce better jpegs, but off the top of my head i could probably reel off several scores more that do as well. putting my mind to it, and a few beers, i think i could get to 100. ): lets not go down that rabbit hole.

I'm considering a Lumix LX100 for the exact reasons you are dealing with.

I like the Ricoh GR very much but, it is limited to "reportage" with that wide lens.
The LX100 goes wide to Portrait and has a nice clean sensor and 4K if you want it.
You swap out your X1 and have cash left over. :)
Cheers!
I had the Panasonic version. The Pany LX100 looks like it's heir apparent.

I had been impressed by the images I had seen in the various Leica forms so I bought the Panasonic LC1 last year. I wound up selling it after a few weeks because I hated using it, especially because of the viewfinder. Overall the camera looked great and had the controls in the right places, but the overall feel of the camera was too far inferior to my Leica M.

Hi Devin

Here's a question.... Why would you want 2 point and shoots?

Sell the Leica X1 and get one camera to cover all the bases.
I recommended the LUMIX LX100 because it has a larger sensor and will replace the X11 very nicely.
You could also look at a Sony RX100. It's pretty good for portraits at the long end of it's focal range.
The LUMIX is still better in terms of DOF and less compression.
If a larger size is ok (since you mentioned the X-vario), a Fuji XE1 and 18-55 is hard to beat.
At 55f4 the portraits from that lens are sweet.

Ide like to keep my X1, Im attached firmly.

The D2 has serious allure as a companion, giving me a quick 28/50/75/90 to Suppliment my 36/2.8 (all equiv. Of course).

I rarely ever have felt an impulse for a print larger than 8x10, and I only ever really post photos to family via email and possibly Instagram or Facebook. So 5mp, with good quality finest Jpegs, sounds perfect. SD format supports the older non HC cards I have accumulated.

The crappy evf isnt so bothersome, as long as I can roughly frame, and confirm my focus via a green dot, just like the olden days ;) Could I even get an awful beep with it too!?

It does seem like it will be a waiting game finding a D2 at a reasonable price.
Ide feel alot better if this camera was more in the 250$ price point.
Maybe Ill get lucky while im saving.

Thanks for entertaining a bit of chatter, alot of good points to consider.

i'm sorry, i must be misinterperting your statement. you don't mean that no camera since the digi2 puts out better jpegs, do you? because not only does the 6mp rd1 produce better jpegs, but off the top of my head i could probably reel off several scores more that do as well. putting my mind to it, and a few beers, i think i could get to 100. ): lets not go down that rabbit hole.

No, that's just what I meant. For my taste. Haven't tried the RD1, but various Panasonic, Olympus, Leica, Fuji, Sigma cameras since then. None of them give me jpegs anything close to what I can get with raw; wasn't an issue with the D2/LC1. Again, for my taste.

But by all means have a few beers and come up with some you like better. Share a couple of beers with me and I'll probably start agreeing with you ;-)

Hmmmm, the D-2 turns out 2560 x 1920 pixels and so at 200 dpi that's 12.8" x 9.6". At exhibition quality of 300dpi it gives 8.5" x 6.4". Do that on A5 and it's better than 300dpi. And on A4 its pretty good to very good, depending on the subject. I've printed much larger and been pleased.

So there's scope for decent sized prints in the thing and it does turn out printer ready jpg's.

And it's a very nice camera to use. You soon forget the minor niggles, as you do with any camera: even a Leica M.

Regards, David

Pick up a Panasonic Lumix LF1 - they seem to be very cheap because they were not a popular line. It will certainly go in your shirt pocket and has an EVF (bit of a joke but works). The camera might just surprise you!
I'm using the LX7 at present but intend to go m4/3. The GM5 might be out of your budget and size limits but an interesting camera.

I shoot with the D2 almost exclusively. I also have the macro attachment for it although I don't really shoot macro so the famous and "rare" piece of glass is just sitting there in the box. I keep thinking that I could use one of those newer cameras with bigger sensors and all but to be honest the D2 is very comfortable at this point. It's like the tattered old tshirt-comfortable. Get it if you find a reasonable price!

And Raid takes the prize!

That was a really clean LC1, at a solid price.

Let us know how you get on with it!

I like the camera. It is an old version of the new Leica Q.
This is how I view things.

Back