Leica History: an article recommended by Oliver Kaltner

It's always a good thing to read about the company which makes the gear we use, thanks Raid for th e link.
I do not like it very much when the emphasis is placed on the connection Leica/luxury (in the title of the magazine) because I see my gear more as a tool to take photo than a fashionable accessory. But so long Leica will give us good tools and make make a profit it is ok for me :)
Interesting how the author explain who is buying Leicas, I think to be in the "enthusiastic amateur" group!
It seems me there are other article worthwhile to read in the magazine.

During the 1930s the USA was manufacturing products on the assembly line, Germany concentrated on precision and close tolerances with small factories. This lead to very fine but expensive products from Germany.

Leica was, with other Germany companies, making cameras that last. So pros went with Leica as a tool that would not breakdown. I guess now Leica has gone from tool to accessory.

An aside:

These small manufacturing facilities in Germany made it hard to bomb them out of business in WWII

Perhaps, yes and no ! How about seeing Leica from one side making tools for the photographers who desire to use them for what they are and using the "fashion" market in order to make the profit necessary to keep them as a small company in business?

Anyway it was not my intention to start an already many times discussed debate, sorry if it seems so :)

I also believe that Leica started out making precision cameras for the demanding photographers, and then it did what it felt was necessary to stay in business. The cameras are still professional and of very high quality.

These small manufacturing facilities in Germany made it hard to bomb them out of business in WWII

The devotion to build with great precision made their subs, heavy guns, tanks and jet aircraft near-invincible on a one-on-one match up. But because of the complexity, they could not be produced in large enough numbers to carry the day (fortunately for the world). When faced with this qualitative edge, Stalin famously responded that, "quantity has a quality of its own".

I guess I'm behind the times I did not realize the 'accessory concept' was a known. I live in an area where style is important, and I have seen some Leicas that don't really fit the person: like a teenager. But I don't want to start anything either Robert.

I have a Leica (IIIf) and it is a tool and a tough precision one.

Back