Leica M, hole in shutter? Easy as pie to fix!

I repaired a curtain on one of my Canon New F1s with some tinfoil and black paint, just a temporary repair that was 20 years ago.

at least 2 layers on each side. It goes on thick but when it dries it is very thin, almost opaque. a second layer helps keep light out. I would just cover the hole with the first layer, then go a little bigger on the second layer to "feather" it so it's not too thick.

Does anyone have a method of checking for pinholes other than running a role of film through and checking the results after processing? When there is a burned hole in the curtain is it pretty easy to spot or do you need to do a little more digging than just looking at the curtain. I believe I've read somewhere that you can take the lens off and take the bottom off and shine a flashlight and see if there are holes. Is this true? the rubber curtain seems like it would block the flashlight from shining all the way through.

I've repaired one in the past using a dot of PVA and a sharpie, I can't remember which Camera it was though, never got around to looking at one that snapped though to see if I could fix it (Black 1980 Zenit E Olympic edition).

For leak checks I sit in a completely dark room and use a super bright LED light while slowly cocking the shutter.
Bellows I fully extend them to stop anything from being hidden by being loose or folded, I only own one camera (Kodak but forget model) of this type now and its pushing 100 so I don't use it for more than display despite it on last check being in full order.

After reading up about fixing shutter holes on the internet I just fixed mine, fast and easy.

There were 2 holes in my shutter from someone pointing the camera at the sun, (prior to me) I had my wife go to Home Depot and buy me a can of "Brush-On Electrical Tape" in black. (Make sure it is black!) It comes in small tubes but they didint have any so I have a large can (size of pvc pipe glue) of black goo. I took a small wooden match and dabbed a bit on the hole, smoothed it out as much as possible, repeat on the other side of the shutter, and let it dry 24hrs! The stuff dries rubbery (like the shutter curtain) and is guranteed not to dry out or crack. I will probably send my M3 to Youxin Ye when I get back to the states for a shutter replacement anyway, but for a quick and cheap fix this cant be beat.

I would recommend that you do not wind the camera or release the shutter for 24 hrs to insure that you do not get any wet goo inside your shutter.

*disclaimer* This worked great for me, but do not promise that you will not accidentally put your finger through your shutter if you are ham fisted or un-coordinated!:D

The "liquid electrical tape" is genuinely useful stuff.

The large format fraternity has been using it for years to repair bellows light leaks - nasty little pinholes occur at the fold corners of otherwise perfectly useable bellows.

I used the Home Depot sourced stuff to repair the bellows on an Ansco 5x7. Still going strong after seven years (the patch that is, the rest of this maple camera as been going strong since 1955.)

Good light all-

Back