U6650I1350201521.SEQ.0.jpg

and a crop :
U6650I1350201519.SEQ.0.jpg

U6650I1350201527.SEQ.0.jpg

and a crop :

U6650I1350201525.SEQ.0.jpg

U6650I1350201524.SEQ.0.jpg

Hi Richard,
thanks "for the flowers". I'm just doing it for fun and trying to learn. I have the M9 just 5 month and it is terrific (for me) as I have at least somewhat the feeling that I am more in control of the end result than when dropping a film off at some lab and getting some prints back a week later. Ok the software is doing so much that I do not control but in my book going digital is much more satisfying and does give me a higher yield of great shots. To be able to adjust ISO as needed and not be stuck with one roll of 100 ISO film when I'm suddenly in the subway, that is such a great advantage. And as I am only using Leica M there was just no alternative (again in my book).

Getting to the Monochrom now ;) ... the final kick was looking at these files at home. After just 2 hrs shooting and definately not being able to nail the exposure - these files are looking just terrific.
All the stuff that was shown at the Leica workshop (with laptop hooked to a projector) M9 vs MM was showing some differences in roof edges of a house and less grain in shadow details with the MM. But to me that wasn't so convincing at all. A quote from the instructor ["most likely you will not see a difference in a 11x14" print"].

I also now understand their claim the MM is 100% better than the M9. You can view the M9 files at 100%, after that they become pixelated. However the MM files at 200% still look perfect. I am not sure if until now just me was not getting the point of this claim but obviously this is confusing also to many others.

The high ISO capability is great but I am not sure how difficult it will be to shoot wide open at the lowest (non pull) ISO of 320. I assume any ND filter you might have to use will degrade the quality somewhat. I have no experience with ND filter yet. If you nail the exposure ISO 6400 will still give you amazing results when you comepare it e.g. to pushed TMY at 800. I did not use ISO 10,000 as was already more into using the Monochrom then testing it...

When I was using my M3 loaded with bw film I was looking for different subjects, "seeing differently" than with the MP loaded with Provia. The Monochrom gives you exactely that difference. And shooting the M9 and converting some files to bw occasionally will not get you there, if you want this "seeing in black and white" feeling, maybe you can relate to that.

Using color filters on the Monochrom will per intructor give you similar effects as shooting bw film.
Post production use of software filters makes only sense in color file. How could the software possibly detect green shades in a grey scale picture (all 3 RGB channels of the pixel have the same value) This would not make any sense to me.
But I did not play around with any filters during the 2hrs shooting the MM and I also did not shoot the same scene with the M9 in parallel.

Bottom line: I put an order in.

It's a great review. Interesting that the best case for the MM is being made right here on RFF. I will have to sit with my M9 for a while yet. If they bring out a Monochrom-P in chrome I will probably cave in then. I am getting more and more out of the M9, but I agree with your thoughts above on shooting black and white.

My Monochrom is still being repaired for the faulty frameline selector. After inspecting the files from this M9 and now having used the Monochrom and Nikon D800E, the M9 now looks quite soft in comparison. I guess after using the D800E with Zeiss lenses, the Monochrom looked kinda standard, but now I'm confident the Monochrom resolves at least 25% more detail at low ISO and that only increases as you go above ISO 400+

Now I truly do appreciate just how much detail the Monochrom resolves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Kristian,

I noticed that the meta data of the (2hrs loaner) Monochrom do not show the f-stop, just the shutter speed as opposed to the M9 which records both time and aperture. Did you notice that in your own MM too ? Maybe it was because of a firmware version and the instructor mentioned they are still working on it.

Something happened that I usually do not do, when I was shooting the Monochrom. I actually asked people if I can take a picture. The couple above was sitting on a bench and they didn't mind me taking a few shots. Normally my street shooting is more documentary style and not posing - which also this was not but there was something, maybe just the limited time we had to get something done, kind of an assignment if you will, that pushed me, positively.

It's a great review. Interesting that the best case for the MM is being made right here on RFF. I will have to sit with my M9 for a while yet. If they bring out a Monochrom-P in chrome I will probably cave in then. I am getting more and more out of the M9, but I agree with your thoughts above on shooting black and white.

Hello Richard,

I'm glad you found my comments on the initial impression on the MM useful.

The Monochrom is already kind of MM-P. It does have the saphire screen like the MP and you can also get a chrome top.
I think on the Thorsten Overgaard webside there is a link to someone unboxing his Chrome MM.

Yes the Monochrom doesn't show aperture data, which is fine because Leica don't have a way of ensuring accuracy anyway. To me, it's really not important because after I take a picture, what I did doesn't have any use for me - maybe others.

There are many forms of street photography, and some subjects require some interaction. As long as you're not intentionally manipulating the situation to 'appear' natural (see here at 4:15mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egLEYmogyoE&playnext=1&list=PLD044DCD0D6C27F56&feature=results_video)

If you're changing the situation it needs to look that way, otherwise you're technically lying about what is really happening - unless it's a portrait and looks that way. It's important to be honest with street photography. The truth, to me, is the most important part about telling a story on the street.

Hello Kristian,

I noticed that the meta data of the (2hrs loaner) Monochrom do not show the f-stop, just the shutter speed as opposed to the M9 which records both time and aperture. Did you notice that in your own MM too ? Maybe it was because of a firmware version and the instructor mentioned they are still working on it.

Something happened that I usually do not do, when I was shooting the Monochrom. I actually asked people if I can take a picture. The couple above was sitting on a bench and they didn't mind me taking a few shots. Normally my street shooting is more documentary style and not posing - which also this was not but there was something, maybe just the limited time we had to get something done, kind of an assignment if you will, that pushed me, positively.

There are many forms of street photography, and some subjects require some interaction. As long as you're not intentionally manipulating the situation to 'appear' natural (see here at 4:15mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egLEYmogyoE&playnext=1&list=PLD044DCD0D6C27F56&feature=results_video)

I watched the video, yes the "thank you and smile appraoch" but otherwise blending in, is more my style, I would not ask people to pose at a certain point or walk in my direction as shown here - and of course the pirate or Elvis costume, ehh not for me :D.

Hello Richard,

The Monochrom is already kind of MM-P. It does have the saphire screen like the MP and you can also get a chrome top.
I think on the Thorsten Overgaard webside there is a link to someone unboxing his Chrome MM.

Tempting indeed. Must resist. For the moment.

Hello Richard,

Klaus,

At this point I'll take either a chrome or a black version, but I have a preference for a chrome Monochrome. Recently just acquired a chrome 50 Lux ASPH, even though I already have a black 50 Lux ASPH. I love the look, the build and the added weight of the chromed brass version.

Cal

Klaus,

At this point I'll take either a chrome or a black version, but I have a preference for a chrome Monochrome. Recently just acquired a chrome 50 Lux ASPH, even though I already have a black 50 Lux ASPH. I love the look, the build and the added weight of the chromed brass version.

Cal

LOL, two 50 'lux, you truely deserve your custom title :D.

LOL, two 50 'lux, you truely deserve your custom title :D.

Been known to daytrade Leica LTM cameras like commodities. Anyways the chrome version came along as an upgrade, and I will eventually sell the black 50 Lux ASPH.

I could not find the chrome Monochrome. Is it possible you could provide a link?

Cal

Cal, it's a special order with Leica Solms - you have to ask for it and pay a upgrade fee.

It was suggested somewhere, that as of long waiting lists, going for a special order silver chrome sample might even get you a camera earlier, than putting your name on a standard issue at a dealer without stock.

Jeff nice work, I read your "Musings on the Monochrom" and I completely agree with you. I just shot the MM for two hrs during the Leica NY workshop and only the files at home on my monitor convinced me. The presentation itself was not at the quality level to show the full potential of this camera. I hopefully should get mine in a week or so.

Thanks, Klaus. And congratulations on your impending arrival! I couldn't agree more about the MM files - they're just amazingly rich to work with. You're going to love it....

first shots this morning | 35/2 UC-Hex + 75/2.5 Heliar

first shots this morning | 35/2 UC-Hex + 75/2.5 Heliar

The moment the MM has been announced I have been hunting one ever since.
It was long and difficult, to get one, but finally, I had my first hour with my very own M Mono this morning.

My first impression after shooting exclusively B&W for more than two years with the M8.2 and M9 - the M Mono is very, very different and incredibly so. Some months of learning are ahead now, to get a handle on using this camera.

This morning in Shanghai:

M Monochrom - first shots - womens hands by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

I used to shoot a lot of MF and lrge format and some of this stuff has the tonal and image quality of good MF. The one thing that bothers me about digital is the out of focus stuff sometimes has a strange halo that I don't like. Otherwise I am quite surprised at the quality!

Some also reminds me of when I used to shoot H&W BW film with my M2 and M3.

Nice stuff Dirk, glad one of these is in your capable hands....looking forward to seeing more work from you.

The moment the MM has been announced I have been hunting one ever since.
It was long and difficult, to get one, but finally, I had my first hour with my very own M Mono this morning.

My first impression after shooting exclusively B&W for more than two years with the M8.2 and M9 - the M Mono is very, very different and incredibly so. Some months of learning are ahead now, to get a handle on using this camera.

This morning in Shanghai:
M Monochrom - first shots - portrait - two generations by teknopunk.com, on Flickr
M Monochrom - first shots - womens hands by teknopunk.com, on Flickr
M Monochrom - first shots - worker preparing a tool handle by teknopunk.com, on Flickr
M Monochrom - first shots - man walking dog meeting another man by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

Back