Leica M Monochrome M9M in 2020?

Local time
1:12 PM
Life has gotten very busy as of recently and I had to sell my M4 since I don't have the time for developing and scanning anymore and would rather use the time that I have to get out and shoot. I have trimmed down all my gear to my Sony RX1Rii and whilst it is all the camera anyone can need, I dearly miss the simplicity of shooting hp5 in my M4 and joy of an M. Am I crazy for wanting to sell my RX1Rii to pick up an MM as my only camera in 2020? I unfortunately can't afford an M246 so an MM is my only option outside of just sticking with my RX1Rii.

I think M Monochrome M9M is a very capable body as long as you don't really need high MP, which your RX1R-ii can produce. I am currently use a regular M9 with M9M as my main system plus RX1 as a supplement.

I'm considering the same. I sold my M9M a couple years ago. But what I'm seeing is that the 246 price is now only a few hundred more than the first version. So I'm more inclined to the 246. You seeing something different?

Although (and I don't mean to open a can of worms, but...) I'm concerned the body thickness might bother me.

John

Does the M9M have the same corrosion issues as the regular M9? If so...figure out how to get a newer model.

Does the M9M have the same corrosion issues as the regular M9? If so...figure out how to get a newer model.

John,

The M9M did have the same corrosion problem as the M9. I had my sensor replaced for free and at the same time it got overhauled (also for free).

The new sensor dealt with the corrosion problem. It no longer is an issue if you got the more updated sensor under the replacement program that is now discontinued.

Cal

I bought an M9M this year and I really really love it. I'd agree with other posters to be careful with the sensor issue, but other than that, the camera is beautiful and I don't think I would have bought the M246 even if I could. happy with my 2020 purchase of the monochrom, so I hope you find one and enjoy it as much as I have.

I'm considering the same. I sold my M9M a couple years ago. But what I'm seeing is that the 246 price is now only a few hundred more than the first version. So I'm more inclined to the 246. You seeing something different?

Although (and I don't mean to open a can of worms, but...) I'm concerned the body thickness might bother me.

John

The prices seem to be all over the place for both of them but the M9M seems to be more in my price range. From my research the high ISO performance of the M9M is solid up to 5000, then a quick fall off. Of course you know this as you've owned one. I can't imagine needing something more sensitive like the 246 in normal day to day shooting so I can't justify even paying a few hundred more if I can find an M9M in good shape.

In response to those regarding the sensor, I do know I need to find one with a replaced sensor. I was a regular M9 user a couple of years ago and loved it but eventually sold it to give the RX1Rii a go. I personally had no issues with the size either, actually I liked the thicker body better than my M4. The Rx1Rii is too tiny in my opinion, it is just awkward to hold.

The only issue now is finding one. They rarely pop up on any of the photography buy and sell forums.

I bought an M9M this year and I really really love it. I'd agree with other posters to be careful with the sensor issue, but other than that, the camera is beautiful and I don't think I would have bought the M246 even if I could. happy with my 2020 purchase of the monochrom, so I hope you find one and enjoy it as much as I have.

This is exactly what I needed to hear. The search starts today. I appreciate your input!

The new sensor dealt with the corrosion problem. It no longer is an issue if you got the more updated sensor under the replacement program that is now discontinued.

I'm glad it is working out for you Cal... I still wouldn't trust it! ;)

I would add that the M9M is still a great camera, and this is coming from an early adopter who bought one new for $8K. I love mine still warts and all.

The M-246 though is a more advanced camera though and is better in almost every way.

But I think the charm of owning and shooting a M9M already has a cult following for a couple of reasons: one is that is a primitive and basic camera; two is because out of all digital cameras it is the most like a film camera because its basic nature; and thirdly because of its CCD sensor it has its own unique rendering.

Again the M-246 kinda crushes the M9M in high ISO, but I tend to only shoot 800 ISO like as if a film camera.

Lastly I would say that the M9M with its CCD sensor is the most unforgiving because of the CCD sensor it is easier to blow the highlights than say a M246 with its CMOS sensor, yet when shot with precision there are great rewards.

One reason why I have not upgraded to a newer Leica Monochome camera is that I like the M9M for being most basic, no frills, and most of all being most like a film camera.

Cal

John,

It seems that the corrosion problem was permanently fixed by replacing the old sensor with a newly designed one.

BTW I'm holding out for Leica to come out with a SL2 Monochrom.

I know my APO 35 Cron and especially the 50 Lux-SL are big lenses, but the IQ is outstanding.

Cal

I have M4-2 and M-E 220 (last in M9 series). I can't force myself to develop bw film for months now. While M-E 220 is in regular use. Keeping M4-2 just because they are too expensive to buy again.

But if I need photo guaranteed I rich for Canon RP or Canon DLSRs.
If you will miss fast focusing and working exposure metering camera you could always get one of those and they are not expensive if used. RP is same size with M with extra grip. Works with 35/50 rangefinder lenses without issues.

Again the M-246 kinda crushes the M9M in high ISO, but I tend to only shoot 800 ISO like as if a film camera.

Last winter I used my M4-2 with TMAX 3200 and pushed it @6400.
In previous winters I pushed ISO 400 @3200 regularly.

... I'm concerned the body thickness might bother me. ...
I'm not following you. Body thickness compared to what? Every digital Leica M (M8 all the way through the M240 variants) has had basically the same body thickness. Only the M10 variants roughly match that of Leica M film bodies.

I'm not following you. Body thickness compared to what? Every digital Leica M (M8 all the way through the M240 variants) has had basically the same body thickness. Only the M10 variants roughly match that of Leica M film bodies.
Very true... and the overall thickness measurement data for the M240/262 series gets distorted when you include the protruding thumbrest at the upper right of the back. The rest of the body is essentially the same size as the preceding models.

It's Trustworthy

It's Trustworthy

Leica switched to a cover-glass with an IR-filter film that does not react with water.

All other digital camera's use IR-filter materials that are chemically stable when exposed to atmospheric water.

So, replacement M9 sensors with the updated IR-filter film are no more likely to exhibit corrosion than other camera.

Conversely, you can trust that any M9 with the original, water-labile, IR-filter film will eventually exhibit corrosion delimitation. Some may take much longer and some may only have minimal delimitation - but they all will delaminate.

Leica switched to a cover-glass with an IR-filter film that does not react with water.

All other digital camera's use IR-filter materials that are chemically stable when exposed to atmospheric water.

So, replacement M9 sensors with the updated IR-filter film are no more likely to exhibit corrosion than other camera.

Conversely, you can trust that any M9 with the original, water-labile, IR-filter film will eventually exhibit corrosion delimitation. Some may take much longer and some may only have minimal delimitation - but they all will delaminate.

Willie,

As usual you offer great clarity.

Many thanks.

Cal

Back