Leica LTM Leica M mount lenses that had L39/LTM under the adaptor??

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

B_Antony

Local time
4:49 PM
I’ve been searching a ton but can not find the thread or info that talked about how during Leica’s transition to M mount they shipped some lenses made in LTM with an M-mount adaptor (removable). Does anyone have a link to or a complete list of these lenses?

Any info appreciated! 🙏

I think my 1960s 35mm f2.8 Summaron has a tiny that enables the removal of the M mount to reveal an LTM mount. Never brave enough to do so.

Also the Summicron 35/2 (version 1). I have one of these and a Summaron f2.8, both convertible.

I bought a Tanar 135mm f3.5 in M mount. I know they made them in LTM, Contax and NIkon S, so LM didnt surprise me. There is little info on these fine lenses. The lens, however unlike normal LM mount lenses had a rangefinder tongue, so upon further investigation, it appeared to have an LM adaptor on it. Then after some struggling I managed to get it off. It wasnt a Leitz adaptor, it was nicely machined to match the Tanar lens and I suppose it was made to cater for the M market.
I've never seen one before nor since.

Wollensak Ser. II Velostigmat 127mm.JPG
This old Wollensak has an adapter on it that took a long 'starfish' effort to get off once I determined that it indeed did have an adapter on it.
Wollensak Ser. II Velostigmat 127mm f4.5.JPG
It looks like heck but works.

I bought a Tanar 135mm f3.5 in M mount. I know they made them in LTM, Contax and NIkon S, so LM didnt surprise me. There is little info on these fine lenses. The lens, however unlike normal LM mount lenses had a rangefinder tongue, so upon further investigation, it appeared to have an LM adaptor on it. Then after some struggling I managed to get it off. It wasnt a Leitz adaptor, it was nicely machined to match the Tanar lens and I suppose it was made to cater for the M market.
I've never seen one before nor since.
How are you doing on your Tanack research? I have recently acquired some new pieces for my collection; Tanack SD body and 10cm/F3.5 lens to finally mate up with the Tanar (8.5-10-1.35) viewfinder, which I also have never seen before or since.
Regards,

One thing I just remembered is that - at least with those 90mm SOOZI Summicrons - is that the early lenses of this type did not have a red dot. Not sure if that applies to other lenses during this brief transition period.

wollensak-ser-ii-velostigmat-127mm-jpg.4831560

These look like factory LTM adapters as opposed to dedicated (lens-specific) semi-permanent adapters with a set screw, as on the 35/2 and 35/2.8 convertibles.

wollensak-ser-ii-velostigmat-127mm-jpg.4831560

These look like factory LTM adapters as opposed to dedicated (lens-specific) semi-permanent adapters with a set screw, as on the 35/2 and 35/2.8 convertibles.
This specific lens (1580011) is from the final block of 90mm Summicron lenses that had the 'semi-permanent', glued-on mount (there was no set screw). This version does not have a red dot -- they only made about 400 of these lenses, most of which were made in Midland.

Last edited:
My 90mm Summicron is the one with a built-in hood. It is made in Canada, I think. A heavy lens. It looks like new.

This specific lens is from the final block of Midland lenses that had the 'semi-permanent' mount (there was no set screw). This version does not have a red dot -- they only made about 400 of these lenses, most of which were made in Midland.
Interesting.

The LTM adapter in the photo is marked '9cm' and is also engraved 'Ernst Leitz' just like a standard common garden variety Leitz LTM adapter.

The dedicated bayonet on the convertible 35/2.8 Summaron and 8 element 35/2 Summicron has no engraving and doesn't look at all like a standard Leitz adapter.

Interesting.

The LTM adapter in the photo is marked '9cm' and is also engraved 'Ernst Leitz' just like a standard common garden variety Leitz LTM adapter.

The dedicated bayonet on the convertible 35/2.8 Summaron and 8 element 35/2 Summicron has no engraving and doesn't look at all like a standard Leitz adapter.
All I can tell you is what I had and that it was all legit and original. It was part of the last block of 90mm Midland Summicrons from 1580001 to 1581000. They are well-documented. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
I'm just making comparison observations. :) I don't doubt they delivered the 90/2 with M bayonet, just making a comparison to how they delivered the 35mm lenses.

Also the 35/2 and 35/2.8 that came with dedicated adapters both focused to 0.7m. These lenses that were originally shipped as screw mount only, focus to 1m.

Back