Leica LTM Leica M mount lenses that had L39/LTM under the adaptor??

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
I'm just making comparison observations. :) I don't doubt they delivered the 90/2 with M bayonet, just making a comparison to how they delivered the 35mm lenses.

Also the 35/2 and 35/2.8 that came with dedicated adapters both focused to 0.7m. These lenses that were originally shipped as screw mount only, focus to 1m.
Not wanting to get into a dispute over a set screw etc -- we're all friends here :) . I actually contacted Jim Lager about this lens after I got it back in 2011 -- here is his reply:

"Greetings Vince, Thanks for contacting me. It appears there are two serial number groups
used by Ernst Leitz Canada for the early 9cm Summicrons. Between 1477001-1478500 and
between 1580001-1581000. These batch numbers are guides ....it is probable that not all

the numbers were used. Your lens is very early in the 1580XXX grouping. Gorgeous lens.
Did you get the hood ? The hood is impossible to find separately. Yes, Leitz glued permanently
the adapter. When I was at Leitz Rockleigh the service department would occasionally be asked
to remove this adapter to produce a screw mount lens. Dangerous procedure. Required heat.

Lots of heat to soften the adhesive. They would do it ONLY if the customer accepted full
responsibility."

Guess I was lucky that I was able to get the mount off with a moderate amount of effort using an M-mount rear cap.

Last edited:
once heard that 50mm elmars have the M mount attached over the screw mount. I have an M mount elmar 50 and am curious as to whether there is a screw mount under the bayonet.

Not wanting to get into a dispute over a set screw etc -- we're all friends here :) . I actually contacted Jim Lager about this lens after I got it back in 2011 -- here is his reply:
Sorry, I wasn't trying to dispute anything, just was outlining differences between how Leitz offered your 90 as compared to the convertible 35s. :)

The 'convertible' 35s (for lack of a better term) were not standard screw mount 35s (that is, focusing to 1m) for which they designed a dedicated adapter secured with a set screw, they were actually an entirely different lens barrel (focusing to 0.7m.) Leitz otherwise never offered any 35s in screw mount that focused to 0.7m.

Hope that is clear!

You mean the 8-element 35/2? I have one. Can it be easily modified to ltm? I have a goggled version.
Raid, as Splitimageview has replied, goggled lenses were made specifically for M-mount. They did not come in convertible versions as far as I know, because you wouldn't be able to use them on a Barnack.

You mean the 8-element 35/2? I have one. Can it be easily modified to ltm? I have a goggled version.

Raid, as Splitimageview has replied, goggled lenses were made specifically for M-mount. They did not come in convertible versions as far as I know, because you wouldn't be able to use them on a Barnack.
The goggled 35's all have focusing cams for 50mm lenses (the VF they were designed to work with) so they will not register correctly with the rangefinder at any distance closer than infinity without the goggles.

However, the goggled 1st. Ver. 8 element Summicron 35/f2 can be easily unthreaded from it's goggles and will then work correctly as a scale focusing lens - which in this instance is OK with me...
DSC05476-crop.JPG

The goggled 35's all have focusing cams for 50mm lenses (the VF they were designed to work with) so they will not register correctly with the rangefinder at any distance closer than infinity without the goggles.

However, the goggled 1st. Ver. 8 element Summicron 35/f2 can be easily unthreaded from it's goggles and will then work correctly as a scale focusing lens - which in this instance is OK with me...
View attachment 4831586
Nice idea, ddutchinson2.

View attachment 4831586
I wonder if you unscrew the lens from the goggle and add a third party Screwmount to M adapter it becomes usable on an M10 or M11 digital camera with the electronic viewfinder to obtain focus.

View attachment 4831586
Albeit that it becomes a rather pricey wide angle.... :unsure:

I wonder if you unscrew the lens from the goggle and add a third party Screwmount to M adapter it becomes usable on an M10 or M11 digital camera with the electronic viewfinder to obtain focus.
I would say that if it's a Leitz made LTM~M adapter then, for sure, an absolute yes. If it's not a Leitz made adapter, then your confidence in it working depends on the quality of the adapter - I have found Voightlander and Novoflex adapters to be as reliable as Leitz.

I have an adapter LTM to M which I assume has come off a SA or 35. It has a very fine grub screw to lock it in place and looks externally like a chrome ring with a red do when fitted to an LTM lens. I should really advertise it so that it goes to someone with an appropriate lens because a 'proper' adapter which brings up the correct framelines for a lens would probably make more sense.

Years ago I bought this cheap summicron, clean optics but beat up exterior. So beat up that the M mount took a hit and one of the ears was slightly bent, and not really useable... Looking up how the mount was built I suspected it was an ltm with a simple adapter : I was right, a smooth adapter was just glued at the factory. Luckily the decades old glue was not too strong.

IMG_20240228_195554.jpgIMG_20240228_195306.jpgIMG_20240228_195245.jpg

Back