Leica official response to the Leica M9 inability to save images

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillavi

Local time
9:26 PM
Following the Leica M9 inability to save images on SD cards from time to time, experienced by me and other photographers, Leica issued two responses recently.

The full story is available on my website.

To be fair with Leica, I'm attaching here in a new post the responses from Christian Erhardt, Vice President of Marketing at Leica Camera, Inc.

“Dear Mr. Lavi,As you might have noticed, we have recognized your concerns that you have been posting.
[cid:C82D1B3C-6740-4A01-BFA0-B0C796F63CB4]
While I totally understand your frustration and pain to lose valuable and non replaceable pictures, I hope that with our action we can regain your trust.

Initial problems were due to the use of low end cards which in your case is not the case! Low end cards often do not conform with the standards of hight end SD cards, which can lead to problems.
Therefore the problem that you are describing was initially an isolated issue that was resolved by formatting any new card to the FAT standard after San Disk issued cards with a new card format.
In the meantime we have learned of your problem and others with the same issue, which made us look into into it.

I am sorry that our efforts come to late for you. I regret that this problem has lead to all the inconveniences and anger on your end.

Personally I would like to ensure you that we will work on finding a solution and invite you to test drive the Leica S2, which has not shown the problem due to a different architecture. You may contact me directly to arrange a free test drive in the US.

In the meantime I wish we could have shared our point of view with your readers of your comments on your Facebook site and other places as it is our believe as Leica Camera to take everyone’s concerns serious.

Please feel free to contact me in the meantime while Leica’s team in Germany is working on a solution.

Best regards
Christian Erhardt”

I'm attaching Leica response on Facebook as well:

Screen-Shot-2011-08-02-at-11.07.15-AM-750x500.png

Best,
Gil

If I understand Leica right, there is no problem if you format the cards in camera. Have you had problems with cards you have formatted in camera? This is something I do automatically. Sure, it would be nice if you could stuff any old card in at any time, but I'm a bit more cautious than that.

Cheers,

R.

Have you really given them a chance to figure out what is wrong and let them respond? It seems you're signing up on forums all over the place just to chastise Leica publicly and make yourself a victim.
I can understand being frustrated but this may not be the best way to go about getting the problem fixed. They have acknowledged the problem and do seem to be working on it. Do you think Canikon would respond in public forums?
Ease up.

Well now that they know about the problem, it should be fixed somehow. But for now, I would test drive that S2 kit!

Roger

Roger

It might have something to do with the latest firmware. If you haven't upgraded to it, you may want to wait.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica...90056-serious-sd-card-write-issues-after.html

If I understand Leica right, there is no problem if you format the cards in camera. Have you had problems with cards you have formatted in camera? This is something I do automatically. Sure, it would be nice if you could stuff any old card in at any time, but I'm a bit more cautious than that.

Cheers,

R.

Do your dire warnings and links back to your blog on so many forums
have anything to do with promoting yourself and increasing your blog's web traffic?

if this is a real issue,
you could present warnings without any links
to your blog or face book or anything else.

what are the chances of a newbie just out of the box M9 owner discovering a major M9 problem that has eluded detection from thousands of more experienced M9 owners?

Stephen

What I read/understand here is that the problem is with a new card format that Scandisc is beginning to use, and not a problem with the camera.

Have you really given them a chance to figure out what is wrong and let them respond? It seems you're signing up on forums all over the place just to chastise Leica publicly and make yourself a victim.
I can understand being frustrated but this may not be the best way to go about getting the problem fixed. They have acknowledged the problem and do seem to be working on it. Do you think Canikon would respond in public forums?
Ease up.

Seems to me he is a victim. Leica is not selling this camera at "try out" or tester prices; when they rolled out this camera and had no reservation of charging a rather generous full boat price it should be bug free (a phrase that obviously doesn't translate into German at Leica).

Nothing anyone does to hold them to account should be criticized and there is no reason to go easy with them "as the best way to get it fixed". Once again Leica electronics come up short and they still don't have a clue - give me a break.

I do not want to add further more beside Leica's response but I will answer to the relevant questions:

1.All 5 cards from different kinds and manufactured were formatted in the camera. All of them were new. All of them approved and original. 3 different SanDisk including the old blue one and a Lexar. Each SanDisk was replaced by SanDisk for a new one and was tried again.

2. The 2 cameras were new from different batches and the phenomena was repeating itself in the hands of Leica dealer and many other experienced Leica Op.

3. Leica knew about the issue with the specific camera from beginning, suggesting to change card, which didn't helped.

4.Leica, according to Leica knew about the problem for quite some time and still decided to keep selling the camera with this major malfunction that put professional users in risk. Leica still sells defective cameras in this very moment.

5.Cameras was tested with both firmwares, new and old.

6.Posts about this exact problem goes many months back.

Best,
G

Last edited:
Seems to me he is a victim. Leica is not selling this camera at "try out" or tester prices; when they rolled out this camera and had no reservation of charging a rather generous full boat price it should be bug free (a phrase that obviously doesn't translate into German at Leica).

Nothing anyone does to hold them to account should be criticized and there is no reason to go easy with them "as the best way to get it fixed". Once again Leica electronics come up short and they still don't have a clue - give me a break.

Didn't you get the part where the problem is actually due to a new card format that Scandisc is beginning to use, and that reformatting the card in camera resolves this issue?

The problem IS NOT SanDisk isolated but it is M9 isolated and Leica saying It's camera hardware/firmware/card issue and they can't tell which one.

Didn't you get the part where the problem is actually due to a new card format that Scandisc is beginning to use, and that reformatting the card in camera resolves this issue?

Don't buy their products. Problem solved.

Following the Leica M9 inability to save images on SD cards from time to time, experienced by me and other photographers, Leica issued two responses recently.

The full story is available on my website.

To be fair with Leica, I'm attaching here in a new post the responses from Christian Erhardt, Vice President of Marketing at Leica Camera, Inc.

“Dear Mr. Lavi,As you might have noticed, we have recognized your concerns that you have been posting.
[cid:C82D1B3C-6740-4A01-BFA0-B0C796F63CB4]
While I totally understand your frustration and pain to lose valuable and non replaceable pictures, I hope that with our action we can regain your trust.

Initial problems were due to the use of low end cards which in your case is not the case! Low end cards often do not conform with the standards of hight end SD cards, which can lead to problems.
Therefore the problem that you are describing was initially an isolated issue that was resolved by formatting any new card to the FAT standard after San Disk issued cards with a new card format.In the meantime we have learned of your problem and others with the same issue, which made us look into into it.

I am sorry that our efforts come to late for you. I regret that this problem has lead to all the inconveniences and anger on your end.

Personally I would like to ensure you that we will work on finding a solution and invite you to test drive the Leica S2, which has not shown the problem due to a different architecture. You may contact me directly to arrange a free test drive in the US.

In the meantime I wish we could have shared our point of view with your readers of your comments on your Facebook site and other places as it is our believe as Leica Camera to take everyone’s concerns serious.

Please feel free to contact me in the meantime while Leica’s team in Germany is working on a solution.

This is what I'm reading.

Was initially an isolated incident that you experienced, but now some other photographers are also experiencing it (so it is no longer the isolated incident that it was initially) but reformatting the card in camera resolves this issue.

Last edited:
I can say the customer service staffs from Leica didn't do a good job in this case. They should contact G and ask him be patient while they have been looking for a solution.

I remembered you said that you sold all your gears. Will you buy them back? :D

Cheer!
Thang

You can try to twist the text as much as you want, to just google yourself.

6 month ago they were thinking is an isolated issue. Reformatting DOES NOT HELP.

Best
G

Was initially and isolated incident that you experienced, but now some other photographers are also experiencing it (so it is no longer an isolated incident as it was initially) but that reformatting the card in camera resolves this issue.

It rather looks as if Leica was stupid enough not to issue a list of certified cards to use with their camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back