Leica SL: Steve Huff's Camera of the year

I am not sure which is worth less - the blogger's reviews or the reviews of those reviews! Give me KR anyday - he knows how to play an audience. I suspect he tutored Trump at one point.

I am not sure which is worth less - the blogger's reviews or the reviews of those reviews! Give me KR anyday - he knows how to play an audience. I suspect he tutored Trump at one point.

KR does call it the biggest M Kamera yet, so there is that for accuracy..

The problem is that except from the EVF, Sony is already making something better at a lower price :)

I have to wonder if you really read the review, because what Steve does do well is differentiate the SL from the A7r2, and he has much experience with the latter.

Not a few A7r2s are collecting dust because their owners just don't enjoy using them.

The A7r2 does make excellent images with it's native lenses, when you find good copies. Ming went through 6 55s to get a nice one. The 35/2.8 is notorious for decentering, and Lensrentals testing has shown really large copy variation compared to Canikon norms in the 90/2.8 and 35/1.4, The 16-35 is also famous for variation.

And you need those natives to hit the high notes, as the A7r2 has such a thick cover glass, which will take the edge of many film lenses.

The build of the A7r2 is toy-like in comparison to the SL, weathering proofing a joke, the batteries are still leftover from the Nex-5, as are the terrible menus, and the subpar RAWS. The Leica will AF faster, it will burst faster, it does not lag, and even the video is better, which is funny, because all the major advances in the A7r2 are motivated by video, not stills. But 42mp is a hypnotic number, and the BSI sensor is a nice one, with improved color rendering, for sure. The camera can make superb images, but the caveat list is very long.

So it's no problem to compare it to the Leica, or not. They are very very different on the ground. The Leica is ready to shoot 50 years of lenses close to their film performance. The Sony has a handful of natives and adds an extra layer of optics, with FC to many older lenses.

As to expense: sorry 7K is not what it used to be, and plenty of people spend that on a mountain bike: but a really nice one. :) Just because something is too expensive for me or you does not mean it's overpriced. Plenty of nice things in this world I can't afford, including the SL.

How can a tool be inspiring. Only on the internet do people give so much weight to the opinion of a complete stranger

Oh yes, I'm inspired equally by a Ford Taurus and Mini Cooper. I'll drive them just the same.

Did you realize books are generally written by strangers? Huff has been around a long time and as comments here show, his tendencies are well known on a variety of levels. He is popular because he is not such a stranger. :)

Not a few A7r2s are collecting dust because their owners just don't enjoy using them.

Is there any evidence for that? When I was in Leica store NYC there were three A7rII's in the store, including mine. All of them had M lenses on them. I liked mine enough to sell all of my medium format digital gear.

The build of the A7r2 is toy-like in comparison to the SL, weathering proofing a joke, the batteries are still leftover from the Nex-5, as are the terrible menus, and the subpar RAWS. The Leica will AF faster, it will burst faster, it does not lag, and even the video is better, which is funny, because all the major advances in the A7r2 are motivated by video, not stills. But 42mp is a hypnotic number, and the BSI sensor is a nice one, with improved color rendering, for sure. The camera can make superb images, but the caveat list is very long.

Batteries are from the NEX-5, which means that I can use my batteries from my old NEX-5. I have half a dozen of those lying around, mostly from Sony. Replacing all of them would be pretty expensive - as I did when Canon insisted on using a new battery for every single new DSLR. I would much rather take the 350 frames and the ability to use old batteries (including $10 generic ones from ebay) than to buy a set of new OEMs with every upgrade cycle.

As for build quality, the A7rII is the same basic layout as the SL - a full metal chassis with a sandwiched layer for rigidity. Modern cameras are generally rugged - I've taken lowly cameras such as the NEX-6 out in rain and snow, and they held up just fine. Leica may have perfected the feel and finish, but being made in Germany doesn't magically make it more durable. To the contrary, Sony has had ~4 full frame releases without a significant hardware problem. Leica had sensor corrosion with the M9, and strap lugs with the M240.

I also think it's odd that people bring up the SL as a viable action camera. It is not a viable alternative to a 1d or D4. The Leica does 11fps without tracking. With tracking it drops to 4-5fps, which is still respectable but no better than the fastest mirrorless alternatives. The 1DX does 14fps with full tracking - that's what gets those wonderful shots at the world cup and olympics. It also writes to fast CF cards in RAW with a virtually limitless buffer. The SL maxes out after less than 4 seconds at 11fps. The 1D cameras also have an endless grab bag of feature sets catering to every whim of sports pros. Shooting with one of them is an empowering experience. The SL is not quite in the same league. No mirrorless is, at least as of 2015.

I also think it's odd that people bring up the SL as a viable action camera. It is not a viable alternative to a 1d or D4. The Leica does 11fps without tracking. With tracking it drops to 4-5fps, which is still respectable but no better than the fastest mirrorless alternatives. The 1DX does 14fps with full tracking - that's what gets those wonderful shots at the world cup and olympics. It also writes to fast CF cards in RAW with a virtually limitless buffer. The SL maxes out after less than 4 seconds at 11fps. The 1D cameras also have an endless grab bag of feature sets catering to every whim of sports pros. Shooting with one of them is an empowering experience. The SL is not quite in the same league. No mirrorless is, at least as of 2015.

I agree with you here. The SL with that big zoom can do action, but not like full-blown Canikon.

As to the other points, I don't really want to turn the thread into a giant Sony v Leica debate--probably already said too much. You love the A7 series as is, and more power to you. I was reacting to one silly dismissal of the SL and gave the counter view, which I've been following.

Many people don't enjoy the Sony shooting experience, but put up with it for the size, cost, and results. Others have multiple bodies and report going back to their RF cameras. But plenty more are just crazy about the Sony, like you and even love the batteries. Nothing wrong with that at all. :)

Also note I'm a daily A7.mod shooter, alongside my M9, and I like both cameras :)

50cron v4 by unoh7, on Flickr

Let alone the fact that I don't believe that being inspired is a prerequisite to doing anything, I understand motivation to be an internal force. The only thing motivating me to make pictures is the irrepressible desire to make pictures all the time, to go out and see things and different places. If my camera breaks down or gets stolen or if I borrow my friend's camera, my desire to make pictures is unchanged.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it Jerome. Not when you use one of the nicest Leica cameras ever made. ;) I'm ultimately motivated by photography as well... since if I'm not making photos, I won't own my cameras.

Egad. His many spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors are painful for me to endure. But I gotta admit, his excitement is infectious. I agree with those who find this camera hard to justify when you can get a new A7 for under a thousand dollars, but I'm delighted that Leica seems to be back in the game, creating new weird stuff that surprises everybody.

Huff is a very nice guy and a successful blogger when many others have failed to get traction. How he developed such a following when others haven't is something about which I've been scratching my head for three or four years. I rarely visit his site but still get emails about new articles.

Whether any of this makes him an authority on photography and gear is debatable, however. <wink>

Like Rockwell, he seems to know how to generate forum posts that drive more traffic to his site. He's obviously figured that part out--employing sales reps without having to actually pay them. ;)

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it Jerome. Not when you use one of the nicest Leica cameras ever made. ;) I'm ultimately motivated by photography as well... since if I'm not making photos, I won't own my cameras.

haha I can see how that would seem contradictory, I love my MP but I've had the chance to test my theory on multiple occasions :)
Still shooting your Fuji btw ?

That first pic of his wife stood out for me too. Bad white balance equals awful skin tones ... I was surprised he posted it like that.

As for the review itself ... it's fine provided you understand were he's coming from and what sort of person he is. I was surprised there wasn't an unboxing video ... or maybe there was and I missed it! :D

We don't want Alex Webb to start reviewing cameras, but those who 'review' must at least have the basic skills to shoot a distortion free, color corrected and well-framed portrait.

Back