Leica SL: Steve Huff's Camera of the year

From his SL review:

"It is IMO, not overpriced at all. Well worth the asking cost for those with the deep wallets that can afford it."

Brilliant. Neither is a Rolex or a Ferrari overpriced for those who can afford them.
Neither are Timex's or Chevy's.

Leica SL is Camera of the year for Steve Huff

"It is a new era for Leica as they have created a system camera that beats every single mirrorless camera made today, and IMO, beats any DSLR (but I am not a DSLR guy) with its build, simplicity, EVF, and overall quality and usability."

Here is his full review

It's a pretty wild stream of consciousness review LOL He goes Jack Kerouac but with fewer chords ;)

"In all honesty, it is responsible for lifting me out of a “funk” I was in with my shooting as it is very inspiring and it just makes you want to go out and shoot. It is a very inspiring tool."

Also he thinks this is basically the best zoom he has ever seen! He's very often over the top but this time it's like when that bolide hit the Chesapeake and made a tsunami that crested the Appalachians ;) He has bought both the body and the zoom!

I love it :)

Man is just doing his job... one has to support himself and family somehow...

Man is just doing his job... one has to support himself and family somehow...

Yeah man. He's figured out how to embrace his love/excitement for the gear and make some money to boot.

He's been through a lot personally and professionally (much of which came out here on RFF many years ago) so it's great to see that his spirit has stayed strong. THAT is kind of inspiring.

C'mon, let's be honest here. He has a cool job that he figured out for himself.
This stuff is just entertainment, no need to take it so seriously.

(I need to remind myself of that quite often!)

My Ferrari isn't expensive...its just well...better than...your Subaru...
Honey..can you call the Italian Mechanic..it needs to go into the shop again..
What are you gonna drive to work dear..
Uhhh...well...theres the Suby...ok...ok...

We don't want Alex Webb to start reviewing cameras, but those who 'review' must at least have the basic skills to shoot a distortion free, color corrected and well-framed portrait.

Not to derail the important debate here, but since when does "distortion free, color corrected and well-framed" equates to successful photograph?
There are plenty of examples of just the opposite, and I am not even talking about Miroslav Tichý :)

P.S.
I don't find Huffs photographs of any interest to me.

From his SL review:

"It is IMO, not overpriced at all. Well worth the asking cost for those with the deep wallets that can afford it."

Brilliant. Neither is a Rolex or a Ferrari overpriced for those who can afford them.
Neither are Timex's or Chevy's.

He's an emotional guy, and there is nothing better than buying product based on ones emotions telling you how beautiful it is. :D

Poor Steve, he sometimes takes a beating on these here 4-ums. At least he appears on a health product...:D

Attachments

• Leica_A_Beano.jpg
    Leica_A_Beano.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
Not to derail the important debate here, but since when does "distortion free, color corrected and well-framed" equates to successful photograph?
There are plenty of examples of just the opposite, and I am not even talking about Miroslav Tichý :)

P.S.
I don't find Huffs photographs of any interest to me.

We're talking about a camera review, not some artsy winogrand 'snapshot aesthetic' philosophy.

Hollywood does not think so - a lot of people believe, or at least like to believe during the movie. :eek:

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR
AN AMERICAN HAUNTING
THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE
THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES
THE POSSESSION
THE SHINING
AUDREY ROSE
DERANGED
HARD CANDY
THE HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT
SHADOW PEOPLE

Etc... all "based on true stories."

You have to give it to Huff...
He is not afraid to tackle the age old questions of life..and death..
Whether you believe it or not..what he is doing that is..has no bearing on the matter..
You don't have to believe a thing..it will happen anyway..
But Kudos to him..for checking some cool stuff out..delving into it..and at least ..trying..

Hollywood does not think so - a lot of people believe, or at least like to believe during the movie. :eek:

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR
AN AMERICAN HAUNTING
THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE
THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES
THE POSSESSION
THE SHINING
AUDREY ROSE
DERANGED
HARD CANDY
THE HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT
SHADOW PEOPLE

Etc... all "based on true stories."

Hard Candy?

I don't suppose many people remember, Steve told here back in the day about an accident with his Leica M7, a terrible accident. I think it was a car crash and the camera left the top of the dashboard where it was resting and smacked him on the head. I don't remember whether it was he who said it or someone else, but it seems the Leica logo was permanently emblazed on his forehead. Perhaps the impression left went even further, sadly though I don't recall the fine detail of the incident. But it's all true. (Sort of.)

:D

Live and let live. Steve Huff is doing the kind of review he would like himself to watch/read on the web. I've checked on this or that now and then and it's not about the fine technical detail but about the excitement of owning new, shiny gear with super-duper-photographic capabilities. It is about the joy of projecting into the future about the great things one will do with their camera. What better (as in more suitable) camera to carry this dream than a Leica? Is this superficial, sure. Let the non-sinner cast the first stone then.

I don't suppose many people remember, Steve told here back in the day about an accident with his Leica M7, a terrible accident. I think it was a car crash and the camera left the top of the dashboard where it was resting and smacked him on the head. I don't remember whether it was he who said it or someone else, but it seems the Leica logo was permanently emblazed on his forehead. Perhaps the impression left went even further, sadly though I don't recall the fine detail of the incident. But it's all true. (Sort of.)

I remember this, and I think I gave him a little ribbing about trying to sell that M7/Noctilux kit as virtually unused, after he had talked about it being on his lap in the accident and subsequently got some blood on it.

I think I was just upset because I really wanted to buy a Noctilux at the time, and was hoping for a discount! :p

Live and let live. ... I've checked on this or that now and then and it's not about the fine technical detail but about the excitement of owning new, shiny gear with super-duper-photographic capabilities.

I used to layout ads for several photo dealers, and I don't exaggerate when I say the vast majority of guys who wanted to talk to someone about the super-equipment they owned (usually purchased from the store) who brought in photos -- were taking very sharp photos of babies and "cats."

They were having fun, and letting off some stress from jobs. Photography is really not that expensive, and is very meditative for many people who really love it. There is really no reason to judge their work.

Back