Leica X1 Price

You know, we've gotten the message that you despise Leica - you don't need to keep banging away at it...

Not at all, im just surprised how many people comment how they want a viewfinder in their camera and how no camera company answers the call, even with a cheapo finder like you used to find in throw away point and shoots. Just surprised...

Oh but people you are forgetting the best part of this 2.8 lensed camera. In a year the price will go up to $2599 and in two years it will be $3199. A true Leica in spirit, they designed it and while everyone were yelling what they wanted at them they had their ears covered going LA LA LA LA LA and now.....

What part of this has anything to do with viewfinders?

What part of this has anything to do with viewfinders?

When the Olympus EP1 came out everyone cried about it missing a viewfinder. The G9-G10 had crappy viewfinders and people complained. The LX3 has no viewfinder and some people complained. Etc etc etc....so many people want an optical viewfinder in their camera not because its old school or what not but because they work and are very useful. The X1 is just a continuation of that whole idea that viewfinders are obsolete and everything can be done on LCD's now. On my EP1 its not such a big deal but still I bought an optical viewfinder for it, not a great solution though. So once again camera companies are designing cameras without listening to the customers. Not like its hard either, look at the GR1v, usable viewfinder, and very small in the camera. I think many people here would be willing to sacrifice that little bit of size for a build in finder that told you when focus was achieved and simple things like that.

Oh. I just didn't see any reference to viewfinders in your post about Leica price increases.

The X1 has an optional optical bright line viewfinder.

Oh. I just didn't see any reference to viewfinders in your post about Leica price increases.

The X1 has an optional optical bright line viewfinder.

yeah it was my bad not to mention it, just that its been thrown around here so much I thought people would get it. Anyway. yeah I have the optional bright line (actually its a dim line) finder for my Olympus EP1 and its still not the most ideal solution since it doesn't transfer any information to you. With for instance the GR1v you would at least get focus confirmation and shutter speed read out. And yes I know there is a little beep for focus confirm but its still a pain when you use center focus point like I do and then in the finder you get to guess where the center is with no guide at all. Thinking about painting a little guide in the finder but I would probably just mess that up....

Well, i might be wrong, but:

Isn't the 24mm f2.8 ona a APS-Camera much too close to the performance/specifications of a 20mm f1.7 infront of a m4/3 sensor at a price point that makes it not really reasonable to even discuss it?

Oh, I know it is a "better" Leica lens, but will somebody be able to tell the diference in a A4 or A3 print?

So except for the design and the "status" factor, why should anyone even think about getting this cam?

Can the ISO performace be good enough to compensate the aperture?

And then, you know that there are the Samsung NX cameras just around the corner, with APS-C sensors?

What if they just change their design to something more DRF-like to compete with GF1 instead of the G1?

I say, the X1 is a big mistake...
A rebranded GF1 would have been a better idea.

Last edited:
Wow, 2k USD.

With that kind of money I'd take a gently used Nikon D700...
Then I'll use my $20 Nikkor-S 35/2.8 on it. :D

i think it's a good price. the sigma dp2 is $630, but it's basically unusable!

no, the real problem is that it's ugly. the back looks like they designed it in 2 minutes. it doesn't have a viewfinder or image stabilization. black trim but not all black, round popup flash, red dot, dials sticking above the top plate, etc. i'm already working on a photoshop revamp.

i think it's a good price. the sigma dp2 is $630, but it's basically unusable!

no, the real problem is that it's ugly. the back looks like they designed it in 2 minutes. it doesn't have a viewfinder or image stabilization. black trim but not all black, round popup flash, red dot, dials sticking above the top plate, etc. i'm already working on a photoshop revamp.

I'm confused, the DP2 is ugly or the X1?

The X1 has a viewfinder option and also has image stabilization.

The X1 design is beautiful but I like this option:

Panasonic GF1 with f1.7 20mm lens kit $899

Then get the Leica M 4/3s adapter so I can occasionally use my M-mount lenses for my M6 and I think I will end up just as happy.

Take off the 24/2.8, put an M mont instead. Cooperate with Cosina for the
1:1 VF and you get a "modern" APS DRF for max 1500 USD.
I'd buy two...

nemjo

Viewfinder Smoofinder, I'd use the CV Black metal finder which looks a LOT smaller than the Leica finder. EVF is not what that sort of camera is about. The EVFs made these days are no where near the quality of a great Bright Line finder.

While I interested in the X1 she is WAY outside of my price range these days. I love my GRD and would switch if Nikon came something with a bigger sensor and a faster Nikkor lens. I'd love to see a Nikon version with a 24/2 on her. I'd even pay $1200 for one. Should be easy to build as it's all about removing parts from a D60/90.

B2 (;->

... yeah I have the optional bright line (actually its a dim line) finder for my Olympus EP1 and its still not the most ideal solution since it doesn't transfer any information to you.....

Well, then the X1 might be intersting to you.
See here - http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-x1-en.html

"if required, the camera display can be turned off when an accessory finder is used. In this case, a prominently placed LED indicates successful automatic focusing"

Back